Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheChimney
Jan 31, 2005
Does anybody know anything about he Defense Contract Audit Agency? I am about to go get my masters in accounting and am seriously considering them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChimney
Jan 31, 2005

gmilo posted:

This is purely anecdotal but the only thing I've heard from tax lawyers or people who know tax lawyers is that the CPA is way worse than the bar exam. That being said, you can take it in parts which makes things significantly easier.

Also anecdotal, I've heard tax law is the one place where the job market doesn't suck for lawyers.

TheChimney
Jan 31, 2005
Have you guys ever heard of the big 4 offering extensions on their deadlines for accepting offers? I have a friend who has an offer in hand but it expires a week before he can interview at another firm. And he wants to check out the second firm before he decides.

TheChimney
Jan 31, 2005

Calcaneus posted:

So, after college, is it possible to have a successful career as an accountant without having to work for Big 4 firms? I'm not totally confident my GPA will be high enough when I graduate, and I've heard the hours there are the worst out there. Are there good alternatives or am I just trying to have my cake and eat it too?

It's very possible. There are tons of medium and small sized CPA firms out there, that are well respected and pay well. There are tons of industry positions as well.

Does any one know where I can find a good outline of the various career paths a CPA can take?

TheChimney
Jan 31, 2005
If any of you are looking for Big 4 work but are struggling to get an offer, I would strongly encourage you to look at the Houston offices of each firm. The market in that city is very hot, which means that the firms have a lot of new business which they need staff for. Additionally, industry is hiring a lot of associates away from the Big 4. This means that the offices have a lot of positions that they need to fill.