Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Michael
Jul 4, 2005
++Pirate Captain++

scribe jones posted:

You can also look for something like the program I'm taking, which is basically like a master's of accounting except you don't end up with a master's degree :(

I am doing the same thing. I figure as long as I pass the CPA exam, then what difference does a masters vs. certificate make? Maybe I am making a horrible choice that I will regret, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than a masters program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Michael
Jul 4, 2005
++Pirate Captain++
so I have been told that a CPA and financial advisor (I guess a CFP?) team up is pretty common, what about a CPA and Lawyer team up?

Hellblazer I know you were talking about doing both a few posts back but what I referring to would be a partnership.

Brother Michael
Jul 4, 2005
++Pirate Captain++

Ribsauce posted:

Can you still get your CPA designation? I would feel like such a jerkoff if I got an accounting degree and never passed the CPA exam and met the requirements.

This was kind of a similar situation to what I was hoping to do and I am curious about this answer as well. As I understand it, if you have the requirements met you can sit for the CPA and earn the designation, but you wouldn't be licensed. I suppose it would be like getting an MD but then not doing a residency and becoming a practicing doctor.

Am I right or wrong here?

Brother Michael
Jul 4, 2005
++Pirate Captain++
hey all, it's been awhile since I posted in this thread. I started my own business over the summer and had to take a break from my accounting program this past fall. I am now starting back up this quarter.

I want to find an internship this year. Last year, I tried (with no luck) to get something at a small company (1 solo CPA to maybe a 10-15 person office). Most of the small firms said that they had interns already, and just about any "firm" that had 1-3 CPA's at it working for themselves said they couldn't take an intern (even a free one!)

So, this year I want to try bigger. Is it too late to apply for a Big 4 Internship for this upcoming year? I was told by a smaller office last year, to give them a shot because they interview and extend offers to a lot of people, and will always have people turn down an offer at one firm for an offer at another firm. Plus, while everyone says working full time for a Big 4 company is awful, it seems like everyone loves to intern there.