Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Can you help get me from where I am in life to at least a starting point in the industry?

I'm one of those guys you see at work who took forever to get anywhere and is 35 with a 25 year old boss. I'm not quite that old, I'm 26, but I have left/returned to school a few times, and I haven't been successful outside of college.

At 26, I am essentially in the second semester of my sophomore year. About six classes and I can get my associates (in Liberal Arts, how useful!) and transfer to a four year school and enter its accounting/finance program. I've taken some accounting and economics courses, and I'm not turned off by it yet!

I'm several years behind where I should be, is there any way to catch up a bit? I work full time, and though it doesn't interfere with class schedule, it's hardly relevant work experience (security)
Quitting my job is not an option, but should I seek something relevant? Apply to work as a bank teller? Accounting clerk and similar jobs seem to have too high requirements. Maybe sign up at temp agencies and start with data entry?

As far as school goes, I'm not used to the four year experience. How tough is it to find great internships? It seems like half the people here work for the big 4. I have no idea if they recruit from Salem State.

I'm getting kind of impatient and discouraged, so I'd like to at least look at the next few steps I need to take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Yeah, Salem State College University. I was thinking of majoring in accounting and finance and taking either economics or math as a minor. I'm actually not great at math and like economics, but I'll minor in whatever looks better on my resume. Thoughts?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Does anyone have opinions on the Washington Center internship program? My girlfriend is looking into it for her field, but it sounds appealing for accounting too.

Housing is paid for, but I got bills, man! Do those internships also pay?

E: A couple searches say negative. drat. As a junior in fall 2011, will there be paid internships available to me locally in the Boston area?

VVV. Wait, it pays that or costs that?!

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 8, 2011

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

A friend's stepdad asked me to work for him at his small design/architectural firm. He started out being the only employee and doing all his own bookkeeping, but he'll be training me to take it over. The downside is that it's only 5 to 15 hours a week, depending on work load, so I can't quit my current job.

I'm thinking of seeking out one or two other similar situations once I have something specific I can offer a company. I constantly see 5-15 hour part time bookkeeping jobs, and while they tend to list having a bachelors as required, I think experience can land me something.

I'll be transferring to a four year college for a BS in accounting this fall, and I'll be going nights. I would love to have a couple jobs with flexible schedules relevant to my degree.

I've never worked an office job before, I've only taken some accounting courses and one quickbooks course. I'm not all that great with excel, word, or outlook, so I'll have to get familiar with those, but other than that, what should I look into learning?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I amassed around 30ish credits from age 19 through 26 at a community college, going to school, leaving, going back, leaving etc. Finally, I'm able to keep the momentum going, and between spring and summer I've completed 37 credits since starting again.
I'm motivated, but I don't want to pat myself on the back too much, especially since I respect people who flew through school by 21 a lot more than what I'm doing.

Now where to go from here? I transferred to Salem State University, and I'm in the BS Accounting program. I'll have 55 credits until graduation, and I'm leaning towards two options:

1. Take a somewhat relaxed courseload of 15 credits across Fall '11, Spring and Fall '12, and fitting in 10 credits between winter and summer. This will end up costing more, taking longer, but I will probably have a higher GPA

2. Take more classes (including easy community college course I can take online and transfer over) and try to get done by the summer, so I can start work in the fall.

If I go option 1, is it realistic to get an internship for summer '12, get hired by the same company in the fall, and finish up my degree going to school at night? I'll be 28 by then and I'm impatient. :(

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

hellboundburrito posted:

The answer to this question will vary by city, by firm and by group, but I work for a Big 4 in Boston and in my group, currently the general trajectory is as follows:

Associate/Experienced Associate (1-3 years): 52k-57k
Senior Associate: 65k-83k
Manager: 89k-120k plus 10k-20k bonus
Sr. Manager: 135k-165k plus 20k-40k bonus
Managing Director: 220k plus 50k-ish bonus
Partner: 600k base, more if you have any sort of leadership role, plus random other comp

Recently in my group there were people complaining about the transparency of pay, so the partner group decided to break it down like I did above, that is the only reason I know.

I live north of Boston, could you advise me how to get to about where you are from where I am now?

I'm a little over halfway through a bachelors in accounting, no relevant experience yet, but I will bust my rear end to get an internship next summer, then graduate in the fall. Other than that, is there much more I can do? I don't go to a particularly prestigious school, Salem State.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

hellboundburrito posted:

I had an internship lined up for the summer going into senior year back when I was a sophomore so my path was pretty much set early on, but you should talk to your school's career center and see if any Big 4 (or other firms if you're interested) recruit there. I'm not sure if we do, but there was someone from your school in my group for a while. If they don't actively recruit there, you can still go to any of their websites and set up an account and apply, get more info, etc.

The number one thing is to get an internship because they almost always result in a full time job offer. You should also be prepared to answer questions about how you plan on getting 150 credits (most big firms only let you start full time once you've obtained the 150) and getting credentialed.

I started working in the fall after graduating college and started taking the CPA exam as soon as I started working, though I would recommend getting the ball rolling on that as soon as you're eligible to sit. Once you're working, the rest will work itself out in terms of promotions and all that - I just got promoted to Senior after working for 2 years and currently have no plans to leave. Hope that helps.

Actually, I have a follow up question. How did you go about lining up an internship so far in advance? Was it part of a specific program, like a coop at Northeastern, or is that how it normally works? And what school did you go to? As you can tell, I don't know much about internships, so I plan on seeing what career services can do for me at my new school.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

How do I get work in foreign countries? I was under the assumption that due to different regulations in different countries, it's not so easy.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I'm considering looking into a joint MBA/JD program from Massachusetts School of Law and Fitchburg State College. Neither are fantastic schools, I just like the idea of working towards two degrees at once.

Should I think about better schools?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

So what you're saying is, as someone halfway through an accounting degree and isn't very good with excel, it's time to start studying?

e:

or take this class:

quote:

An in-depth expansion of the spreadsheet topics introduced in ITC117 will be presented. Using the latest PC-based spreadsheet software, students will study 3D spreadsheet models, statistical and financial analysis, advanced graphical analysis, pivot Tables, automation with macros, and complex problem solving. Techniques for designing and sharing spreadsheets intended for use in the workplace will be stressed. Three lecture hours per week. Not open to students who have received credit for BTE241.
Prerequisite: a passing grade on the College's Computer Literacy Examination as verified by Department Chairperson or ITC100 or ITC117.

go for the second option?

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 23, 2011

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

19 o'clock posted:

I have a criminal record so

How young was she?

Just kidding

19 o'clock posted:

I have written lots of applications to do my job for me (ex-CS major)

I'm interested in this... I'm casually searching for a minor but I intend on graduating by fall of 2012, and my classes are locked in for this semester. My school only has a minor in computer studies, http://www.salemstate.edu/academics/schools/2212.php , so how helpful would a couple of semesters and a summer session of that be in an accounting career, vs, say... economics?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

accountemps.com?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

At the end of this semester, I will have 40 credits remaining in a BS in accounting. I'm going to try to get a summer internship somewhere, and hope to get a job by January 2013. I'm not in a particularly glamorous school, but I should get some alright opportunities.

Getting my CPA is a given, but I want to be as marketable as possible. I've heard that a MS in Accounting isn't rewarding enough to chase. My possibilities are:

1. Put off getting an advanced degree until I get accepted by a good MBA program like Bentley

2. Try to get into a specific, not nearly as competitive joint MBA/JD program from Fitchburg State and Massachusetts School of Law

3. Go in a different direction and pursue a MS in computer science, in an effort to be a bit more diverse, and seeing as a ton of time is spent in front of a keyboard anyway

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

The SituAsian posted:

Kieso was the book used in my intermediate courses for my Masters and from what I gather it's pretty much the standard for Intermediate Accounting I and II.

I'm using this book right now, Intermediate 1

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Mandalay posted:

studying accounting for fun

:stare:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Tennis Ball posted:

I'm currently an MIS major. At my university MIS and accounting majors share a couple of required classes. This results in me being able to get a double major in accounting with almost no extra time spent.

Is there a demand for MIS/Accounting majors? My main reason for doing it (besides being trivial investment time wise) is because I am fearful of the future and want to make sure I get a job.

I asked about accounting and computer science earlier in this thread and was told there was a high demand, so it's likely that MIS is as well

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 16, 2011

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

abagofcheetos posted:

Would a finance minor be worth getting? I was looking through the other departments at my school and I can get a finance minor by taking essentially three extra classes. It seems like a no brainer, but maybe a minor wouldn't even mean anything (possibly for this reason haha).

I would definitely do that. It can't hurt, right? My college has a dual corporate accounting/finance major, as well as accounting major and finance major.

Strangely, they have an accounting minor but no finance minor... oh well! v:v:v

The last two posts seem so close to the situation I'm in. I can either graduate in fall 2012 with simply an accounting major, or:

1. Take a couple extra summer courses, still graduate fall 2012, and get a management minor
2. Take a an extra semester, graduate in spring 2013, with a double major in Accounting/MIS
3. Combine the last two and graduate with a double major in Accounting/MIS with a management minor.

It's probably not worth the extra semester to get the second major, but it's only five extra courses and will look at least slightly better on my resume, right?

Also, what are the chances of getting some sort of part time job as a tax clerk/assistant/whatever this spring once I finish my federal taxation winter course?

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 16, 2011

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Any thoughts on my last post? I'd like to finish asap, but if adding a second major in MIS would improve my marketability, I'd do it.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I was under the impression that the next 30 hours had to be at the masters level.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I posted earlier about going for an extra semester in an attempt to add a second major and graduate with a BS in Accounting and MIS, but I'm a little anxious to get out and start earning money and moving up. I'll be 28 before the end of spring semester, so I want to finish asap and start studying for my CPA.

Rather than get the MIS major, would getting into a high tech MBA program, such as this one at Northeastern ( http://www.cba.neu.edu/grad/high-tech-mba/ ) make me similarly marketable? It's either this or get a dual MBA/JD degree.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I replied to this ad looking for a tax preparer
http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/acc/2766816164.html

I'm doing a phone interview tomorrow and I'm a little concerned about the up front cost of books, kind of like paying up front to sell sets of knives.

It doesn't specify what company, I guess I'll just have to get more info tomorrow, I'm just wondering if it seems off to anyone.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Yeah, I remember you explaining yourself as working for a Boston area big 4 and you answered a lot of the questions I had, quite helpful.

I'm totally fine with some temporary, part time tax work. I've never done it before, but I'd like some relevant work experience since I haven't had an internship yet.

I also remember you saying that you had an internship lined up a year and a half in advance or something. That isn't the case for me, but I'm going to try to line one up for this summer when school gets back in session. And perhaps I can have this tax job counted as one.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

As an update to my previous post, it turned out to be a new Liberty Tax franchise, and the owner is paying for the books this year.

There are only so many spots, so I hope I'm selected, but I'm confident I will be. The owner graduated the same college and degree program as I'm in, and I'm definitely showing desire for the position.

I contacted my school and was told it counts as an internship, so I get three credits out of it, so I'm psyched about that. However, I don't have a specific desire to get into tax accounting, though I'm not against the idea. For a summer internship (or job) should I use this experience to find a position in tax planning, or go a different route?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I hate to keep coming back here with similar, but slightly tweaked answers, but I'm getting towards the end of my bachelors in accounting and seeing as I will be 28 (and a half!) when I graduate, I want to get as much done in as little time.

First, I'm considering switching from just Accounting to Corporate Accounting and Finance. It's not a double major, it just takes off a couple classes from each degree, but they're so similar that even in my second to last semester, I can switch.
It just seems that it would appear more marketable on a degree.

Whether or not I switch, studying and getting my CPA is the next step. (and seeking work in the field, obviously. If only part time)

I am considering either trying to get into Northeastern's dual MSA in Finance/MBA program, or if not that, possibly Penn State's world campus MSA in Finance and then go for an MBA elsewhere. Do either of those sound like viable options?

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 24, 2012

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I'm looking for a little mobility, because I don't have a clearly defined goal of "go the audit route, or taxation, etc" I'm not sure precisely what I want to do yet.

Call it overkill, but I would like to get both an MSA and an MBA after graduating

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

You say "go back" in your post. Do you already have a bachelors degree? If not, then depending on the number of credits you have right now, you could probably find a community college to take some online courses and then later on if you're able, go to a four year school.

If you do have a bachelors, I believe you can take a few foundation accounting courses then apply to an MS program in accounting somewhere, and there are a good number of those out there.

Gradschools.com should have some good resources. So far schools that stand out to me and don't seem to be for-profit schools are Auburn, U of Michigan-Flint, Rutgers, Umass Boston, SUNY-Utica, U of Maryland, Uconn. I'm sure most of the others I didn't name are also legit, but didn't stand out to me.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Harry posted:

Look at basically any community college, they probably have some program. I'd imagine it involves like Financial accounting, managerial accounting, intermediate I & II, and maybe corporate tax.

Here is my school's certificate

Program Requirements (30 Credits Total Required*)

REQUIRED COURSES
ACC106 Financial Accounting 3
ACC202 Managerial Accounting 3
ACC300 Intermediate Accounting I 3
ACC301 Intermediate Accounting II 3
ACC305 Federal Taxation 3
ACC306 Cost Accounting I 3
ACC364 Accounting Information Systems 3
ACC400 Advanced Accounting 3
ACC407 Auditing Theory and Practice 3

CHOOSE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:
ACC350 Forensic Accounting 3
ACC414 Advanced Federal Taxation 3
ACC417 Accounting Theory Seminar 3
ACC420N Accounting for Government and Non-Profit Entities 3

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I'm having a little trouble this semester with intermediate ii. It's definitely interesting and I get the concepts, but there is so much to keep track of. It's not discouraging or a turnoff, I'm just not devoting enough attention between it and 5 other classes and I miss some details.

I'm also taking financial management and auditing thoery, and of the three, I find finance to be the most interesting.

I'm not going to switch, as it's too late. But I might pursue an MS in Finance later on. In the meantime, immediately upon graduation, I want to work part time and study for my CPA as much as possible.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Lemmi Caution posted:

I have a bachelors degree and am enrolling in accounting classes this summer. Under the new California requirements, how long will it take to finish all the classes necessary to sit the CPA exam, assuming a full load? I have never taken an accounting or business course before, so aside from the bachelors I am starting from scratch.

A couple semesters and maybe a summer/winter session should do it

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

19 o'clock posted:

The CPA Examination requires general business classes on top of accounting classes, IIRC. An entire section of the exam is devoted to non-accounting material, so it stands to reason. Speak with your advisor about your intentions and about taking more accounting classes sooner to get all of your requirements fulfilled. Hell, I didn't even declare myself an accounting major until my final semester of school.

The CPA exam sections are easy to remember with the acronym BARF :barf: which is rather appropriate

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

"Hey boss, what am I?"

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Thankful for being interviewed by women?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwx2ce_AyOE

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Ineffiable posted:

I have a desire to get it and I have the requirements but just not the money to take the Becker courses.

Becker has a financing option.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I have an alum dinner coming up and I graduate in December, so I'll be job hunting then. How much should I expect to spend on a suit for those things? I don't have a ton to spend, though I could go into the hundreds for it. Are cheap suits expected for recent broke college grads? Haha

and where should I go?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I'm going to a student-alumni dinner tonight and I'm not really used to this kind of networking. I'm wondering what I should be doing. I'm obviously not going to walk around handing out resumes and business cards, but should I be specifically asking about jobs, just making small talk, or what?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I finished my BS in Accounting last month and I can't decide between my CPA and MBA and which to go after first.

I didn't go to a prestigious school (Salem State University) and my GPA wasn't spectacular, just okay- 2.9944. (couldn't just have a couple extra percentage points? :argh:) I'd likely be taking a couple prereq courses and rolling into the MBA program there this fall. Or, I could put off grad school, start studying for the CPA right now and get my MBA afterwards.

MBA first: If where I get my MBA from is less important than having it at all, I'd like to get it done as quickly as possible. I know I will be accepted at SSU, and I can transfer some of my credits. I could finish by the end of 2014 and then start taking parts of the CPA.

CPA first: If it really is important to get into the best grad school I can, I could spend the next year and a half taking the CPA while applying to programs. Although I'm not sure how high to aim with a 2.99 GPA. Would completing parts of the CPA raise my chances?

I'm just happy to be finished with the first step.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Mandalay posted:

Because you didn't mention any work experience I'm having trouble seeing what value you'd get out of an MBA straight out of undergrad.

I'm a "non-traditional" student at 28, with most of my my experience being retail, manufacturing, and security. But I've had a couple temporary office jobs and a season as a tax preparer.

Hopefully soon I'll get an answer about a job in cash posting I interviewed for recently.

So I'll need more experience to get anything out of it?

Harry posted:

Don't ever say you have a 2.99 GPA. You have a 3.0 GPA. It may sound like the same thing but it isn't.

Haha, yeah I was thinking about just saying 3.0 in the future, but wasn't sure if rounding up is going to be an issue for those who actually see it.

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 10, 2013

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Alright, I'm having a tough time deciding what to do. Like I've posted before, I graduated in December and currently work part time at a store, with no insurance. The plan is to work part or full time and study for my CPA, but I'm torn between job options.
One route is through this accounting temp agency (not Robert Half/Accountemps) that's sent me jobs that pay around $12 with no benefits, but are somewhat relevant to my degree. Either in cash posting or AP. Appealing for the experience, not so much for the pay and lack of benefits.
The other option is working as a insurance salesman/customer service rep. Not the "sell life insurance to your friends and family" job, it's for this small mom and pop outlet called General Electric. That job pays 32k and has full benefits from day 1.

I'm leaning towards the job at GE just because the company is so huge that there's bound to be opportunities to advance to other roles and offer more than just health and dental. I just want to know if not going directly into something like AP is going to stall my progress. This year is pretty much about just getting my CPA out of the way.

I'm not even sure about my end goal quite yet. If I could list what paths I'm interested in in order, they would be AIS/audit, financial analysis, tax. I figure the CPA is a good start for at least two of those.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

After being turned down for a few jobs that weren't even strictly accounting positions, I've decided to get the Becker course and just try to get the CPA done as quickly as possible. I've wasted the past couple months after graduating and the rejections are becoming discouraging, so I figure why not try to make this into a positive?

I definitely want to go to grad school once I finish my CPA. I didn't exactly go to a highly recruited university for my bachelors, so should I expect better opportunities if I go to a better school like Northeastern or Bentley?

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

rockin peanut posted:

This should be a lesson for everyone that even in accounting, grammar matters.

How this helpful?