Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desertfox621
Nov 27, 2005
Wakka Wakka
I'm graduating in May, and I will have my CPA education and experience requirements done. Georgia lowered the reqs to one year public or private (Go Georgia!) so as long as I pass the exam I will be a CPA when I'm done.

The only problem is my gpa is sub 3.0. Will this hamstring my job search? I'm looking to go into audit...just not big 4. What's the best strategy to reach out to smaller firms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desertfox621
Nov 27, 2005
Wakka Wakka
One more question! I've heard that next to networking, sending letters to hiring managers or partners can be a great way to get an "in" at a public firm. Is there any truth to this? For example, if I sent a letter saying..."Hi X, I like Y about your firm, I have Z qualifications, phone number, etc."? does that actually get looked at? If so, do you guys have recommendations of what to include?

Desertfox621
Nov 27, 2005
Wakka Wakka
We just changed from 2/public or 5/private to one year of either for experience requirements in Georgia. Fortunately for me this means I'll have the experience requirement done right after graduating, but our state board's website still says two years. I sort of feel like I cheated, expecting 5 years and all. Oh well. These guys need to do a better job getting the word out!

Desertfox621
Nov 27, 2005
Wakka Wakka
So, I have a bit of a dilemma. I have two basic choices as a new graduate, a job in audit/assurance, or a job with my current (private) employer. I really want to move into audit, but this private employer has offered me a job as the corporate controller. ~20mil in revenue/yr, 75 people, mid-sized I guess. My question is, if I take this job, would it be harder for me to transition to audit later on? For example, if I hated it, in two years would the CPA firms laugh me away? Or would they see a controller's experience as a plus?

Desertfox621
Nov 27, 2005
Wakka Wakka
Thanks for the advice guys. Yes, I would still be able to get my CPA designation. Supervised by a CPA and all. My main concern is something like this...If I take this job and lose it a year later, would my prospects be as good as taking an audit job and losing that a year later? I am aware that controller is a much better position than a staff I :). Most job openings I see are asking for "2 years at a big 4 or large cpa firm." as background experience. Is the audit experience worth a 2 year (or more) pay cut? Just trying to think beyond my first college job...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desertfox621
Nov 27, 2005
Wakka Wakka
I worked as a general intern, A/R clerk, A/P clerk, and then accountant, all in the same company. I moved up to accountant when I graduated, and will probably move up when I pass the CPA exam. IMO, clerk experience CAN be helpful. However, it's not really accounting. It's more data entry, posting, reconciliation, etc. Anyone can do it with just a weeks worth of instruction. The clerking may or may not provide the 1 yr experience. It usually has to be under the direct supervision of a CPA. Your state reqs will vary.

In my (limited) experience, clerking won't help get you an accounting job. It's just not the same. Honestly, the only useful info I gleaned from my stint as a clerk was understanding how the job worked. But you'll get that as a full accountant anyway. Clerks also (usually) pay a lot less! This is the only company I've ever worked for, so take my advice with a grain of salt.