Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

Desertfox621 posted:

I worked as a general intern, A/R clerk, A/P clerk, and then accountant, all in the same company. I moved up to accountant when I graduated, and will probably move up when I pass the CPA exam. IMO, clerk experience CAN be helpful. However, it's not really accounting. It's more data entry, posting, reconciliation, etc. Anyone can do it with just a weeks worth of instruction. The clerking may or may not provide the 1 yr experience. It usually has to be under the direct supervision of a CPA. Your state reqs will vary.

In my (limited) experience, clerking won't help get you an accounting job. It's just not the same. Honestly, the only useful info I gleaned from my stint as a clerk was understanding how the job worked. But you'll get that as a full accountant anyway. Clerks also (usually) pay a lot less! This is the only company I've ever worked for, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I have some questions regarding trying to get into accounting as a career choice. I haven't had success finding anything with my current degrees (Econ/Poli Sci) and am thinking about a MAcc starting hopefully next fall. Would accounting firms be interested in taking on a part-time intern to gain experience before one commits to such a program?

I'm trying to gain at least 2-3 months of experience working in an accounting firm doing pretty much bitch work, and am wondering if they already have accounting grads do this or if I actually have a shot at doing this. If so, do I need any other qualifications before I begin this (x classes of accounting, etc)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
19 I just want to go ahead and say thank you for telling us your day-to-day. It was very helpful and gave me some insight as to what I would like in the next year. It kind-of matches some of the things we're discussing in one of my classes (how the accounting process actually works in the real world) and it's nice to see that as well.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
A month left to go in this internship for a bigger firm and I'm just hoping to get an offer. Oh boy, it feels strange leaving early. It's like vacation if I leave by 6.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I just ended a tax internship while going to grad school part time. I'm pooped, but got a really nice offer from my firm. Super excited!!!

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I just started back and 65% of my time was spent screwing around with printers, etc. When I'm on a roll I can get 80-90% billable hours, so it really slices into how much work you do.

And I can't bill the client for some useless trivial thing that I should know about, especially when it deals with our software.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxU6n4pAnrU

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

Moneyball posted:

God dammit I need to concentrate on studying. Got my expensive as hell Becker course back in February. Two months later and I've done two lectures, and one set of multiple choice. I think it's because it's available for 15ish more months and I haven't scheduled a test yet- haven't put the pressure of time constraints on myself.

I'm temping for $13/hr right now- I really should get this test over with.

You realize that passing one or two of those sections instantly puts you into employable category with a lot of firms, right? Something that should pay close to 2x what you're making currently.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Some friends of mine are setting up a small nonprofit to try and get help some students around here in this local area. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good (preferably free/low-cost) software I could use to keep track of stuff? Right now we've got $100 in our account and won't get started with fundraising for a month but I would like to see what's out there once this thing starts going.

Something that can keep track of donors/grants/expenses/etc would be awesome down the road. I've only really used Peachtree for classes and some other work stuff, but my main job is tax so I'm not too knowledgable about software options.

Audax fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 14, 2013

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I received my offer well in advance - like a year. The people who started after me received a signing bonus. They went back and gave me one because they wanted everyone to have the same starting salary.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Give your state board a call. Like Cyrezar, I'm in North Carolina. We have Phyllis taking care of pretty much everything, so I've called her several times with questions on requirements. It's their job to know this so just harass them till you get a response.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
You guys ready to be done with 9/15 busy season? I didn't work too much (55 hours) this past week, but I have several returns to finish this week where the client hasn't sent stuff in yet. And recruiting as well.

Overall I'm enjoying my experience... sometimes the hours suck, but it makes my life outside of work more enriching. I wanna use up all my time on "me" stuff.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
What level of firms are you looking at (Big 4, regional, local)? How are you getting in touch with recruiters, and how strong is your pitch? The fact that you have your CPA done should mean you're an instant interview in most places. I just did recruiting for my firm and anyone who passed sections of the CPA was strongly considered.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I did that with a big 4 when I applied for a SALT job. Hahaha I was an idiot.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Kieso's Intermediate book was what I learned on. See if you can find a cheaper version. The writers are real nerds - Star Trek references aplenty.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Exactly. Because when you fail and realize you wasted two months of your life... that poo poo hurts.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
How you fellas and ladies holding up?

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I make $14/hour post-tax, based on my numbers up to the end of the year.

This career is fun.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
How do I list that I interned with the same company for 2 periods on my resume? Right now I have my job duties there, and a subsection for when I interned.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Just had my year end review. With one year full time, top rating, early promotion. Really happy but next busy season is going to suck!

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I don't know how you are with studying, I don't know how your classes were and what you actually do know (I've found a lot of accounting exams are easy gimmies across different programs) but it is tough. Be ready to study nonstop.

I struggled to complete 2 per testing period. You're going to need breaks. I guess if you're not working you can study all day and rest in the evenings. I know some people who study a week on an exam and pass. I know some people study for 6 weeks and barely pass. 4 exams in 8 weeks is <2 weeks per exam.

There is a lot of information to learn if you don't know it yet. I guess I'm delusional - I mean 15 years ago you had to pass it all or nothing so it must be doable.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Generally pretty easy. I'm in North Carolina and our requirement is a year full time which according to them is 30 hours a week.

Just make sure that it's in the practice of public accounting. Like my state the rule is 4 years if you're in industry/private and you don't wanna flubber that up.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Fully licensed! Drinks on me... in 6 weeks.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Jesus, you ever gently caress up real bad? Like real bad? Just one of those days where things just go from worse to worst in minutes.

Audax fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 24, 2014

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
See you all in 3 months:chloe:

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Fellow NC goons - look into a MACC. UNC, UNC Charlotte, UNC Wilmington, ECU, App, State, etc all have awesome programs. Some with less required pre-reqs than others. Lots of people go into these programs with 0 accounting background and do well (including me).

Our reqs are 150 hours with 30 in accounting. Almost all of the grad programs are geared towards learning everything that's on the CPA exam and cover those 30 hours.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

CatfishClyde posted:

I have been considering this for about a week now, I'd be applying to UNC. Do you find it enjoyable? Was it difficult to get in? My undergrad GPA was not great but my Grad school GPA was pretty good so I figure that would trump undergrad.

Oh, and do you know if they offer evening classes for this program?

I didn't think UNC was hard to get into. I had a sub 3.0 GPA and I got in, but I don't know if going there for undergrad helped me with that. I chose to go go Charlotte instead since I felt that it was a better fit for me overall. All night classes, downtown, and I felt it'd be easier to find a job if things went south for me during the fall recruiting season. Really all of the larger cities recruit from the well known schools so you should be fine.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Are fall internships with big 4/national firms a thing or do they pretty much only recruit for spring and the summer? Im going to be graduating December 2016 and I'm wondering if my only shot at an internship will be during the recruiting season this coming fall.

My impression is that there's two internship seasons - winter and summer. Winter is actual busy season, summer is something like June-August.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Happy 4/15! Already have an interview ready! Hopefully goodbye public forever!!!

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Haha just got my offer. Gonna leave before year-end reviews are in.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

Bloody Queef posted:

Going private?

Yep. Decent pay bump, less hours, massive company with room for growth, and did I mention less hours?

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Used Becker flash cards for FAR. Did not find them useful; had better success writing down my own things that I did not know/comprehend. I basically rewrote all of Becker's books by hand.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
If accountants don't enjoy making GBS threads on each other enough...

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Industry busy season, I love you! Hope everyone else is sane.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I just think it would be a bit hard to understand both at once. Managerial is confusing as all hell in the first place, I can't imagine doing it with intermediate, especially since a lot of people really struggle with intermediate.

Then again in grad school I took it alongside financial accounting and tax, so you kinda have to deal with it sometime.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Seriously take that poo poo ASAP. You do not want to spend your precious free time out in the working world going through tedious MCQs and sims. You can read the license requirements at nccpaboard.gov but there is no timeframe on when you need to complete which requirement first.

Are you at Wake Forest? I know they have a mandatory CPA exam (and ECU). You'll be fine with the programs.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I've been using Thompson Reuters. Sign up for a 1yr deal 6 months into your license year, do year 1 CPE right away and then do year 2 before the subscription expires. Around $250 I think and it gets you both years worth of CPE. My employer even paid for it last time, and I'm not even in accounting anymore!

Same. Checkpointlearning.thomsonreuters.com

If your company does decide to spring for a subscription there, I believe you can transfer accounts as well.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Happy busy season!

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Come on now, us tax folks gently caress too.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I think my record 9am to 5pm with onesource. Once I got on I stayed on for 4 hours because gently caress if someone hands up I was gonna go postal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
My experience with KPMG recruiters is that they straight forgot they booked me for a 9AM interview and showed up 2 hours late. They wanted to reschedule for 6pm later that day. I walked out.