Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SavesTheLava
Jan 14, 2006
Hey quick question. So as an undergrad I wasn't a business major, I graduated with a degree in history. As you can imagine the job prospects for history majors were less then none so I took some classes at a local community college in accounting and loved it. So now I'm currently getting my MBA in Accounting at a fairly good business school and was wondering since I don't have a real accounting degree, how would this affect me in my job search when I graduate? I want to work at a public accounting firm, but I'm nervous that because its only a MBA in Accounting I'll be at a disadvantage. So lets say I want to work at one of the big 4 firms, would I even have a chance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SavesTheLava
Jan 14, 2006

gmilo posted:

Can you sit for the CPA exam? If so, they don't care. If not, take the credits you need to be able to sit for the CPA exam.

hellboundburrito posted:

As gmilo said, you will want to get the credits to sit for the exam and become certified. Many public accounting firms are now only hiring people with the number of credits required to become licensed (in most states, 150) so you will likely need to do that before applying, even if you haven't passed the exam yet - although having the exam done will help. Aside from that, I would say having an MBA focused in accounting will give you a pretty good shot at getting hired. Your undergrad degree doesn't matter so much if you have the coursework for a CPA, are on the CPA track and particularly if you have a graduate degree focused in accounting. We just hired someone who was a psychology major and then went on to get an MSA which is less impressive than an MBA.

Yeah when I graduate I'll be able to sit for the exam. So sounds like I'll be OK then, thanks for the info.