Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baldrik
Apr 18, 2006

I never forget a pushy
I'm interested in going back to school to learn something and Accounting always interested me and I did reasonably well in High School Accounting. I know that now means nothing since I've been out of HS for about 7 years now. Some advice for me would be appreciated as I don't know what I want to do at all really.

Basically, right now I'm working at a hospital as a clerk, I make decent money part time with no chance to get full time in the foreseeable future and this is fine for me and has been for a while. However, I'm getting married in the spring and I want to get into a field where I can work full time, have more regular hours, make more money and be a little more stable just in case life throws us some curves, like a kid or something or the loss of one of our jobs. Clerking isn't really a skill and I'm just lucky to be making what I do while doing what I do. As well, I don't want to be tied to one area, like I am with the hospital work since it's all about seniority here and I feel like I'm trapped in my city. We want to travel in the future and I have no skills to get a good job wherever we end up.

So Accounting looks like a good skill to have. I'm not looking for a big career here, just a good skill that will get me a job anywhere. I am looking at schools and the local ones have given me a few options, but I'm open to more suggestion. I'm living in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.

First School: McMaster University
-diploma course, can be fast tracked to 10 months, otherwise is basically 2 years. Costs nearly $7000 all told. Night school.

Second School: Mohawk College
-diploma course, 2 years. Also can be broken up into night school courses that will take much longer to complete. Probably will cost around $5000 all told.

I know I'm probably not comparing apples to apples here really, but right now I'm pretty directionless and need some advice on even which field I should be going into. Also, these are only diplomas, I realize that there is probably more benefit going for a degree or more, but I'm not entirely clear on what is involved short of dropping everything to go to school full time for a few years, which I'm not prepared to do. I'd like to get this done all part time. I realize this will take a long time, but at least I'll be working towards something. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU