Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koth
Jul 1, 2005
Taken by a friend of mine who's style I am very jealous of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
This is currently my favorite car photographer on flickr:

Looks like he has a pretty fun job.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7211625@N06/2903320591/

brad industry
May 22, 2004
This guy has so much awesome stuff on his site it's taken me 2 days to go through it all

http://www.luissanchis.com

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

brad industry posted:

This guy has so much awesome stuff on his site it's taken me 2 days to go through it all

gently caress

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

His color palette and lighting is so cohesive, and his command of composition and leading your eye around. Dagone that is an amazing folio.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

poopinmymouth posted:

gently caress
This. That's some really impressive stuff, jesus.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
What's always impressive to me about fashion photographers like that is that the work is really loving killer but they also have a ton of images. Those guys are constantly shooting tests all the time and making images that good, it's crazy.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

brad industry posted:

What's always impressive to me about fashion photographers like that is that the work is really loving killer but they also have a ton of images. Those guys are constantly shooting tests all the time and making images that good, it's crazy.

Question while we're on it. The first guy photo, the one in a fur coat (I'd link to it but it's flash) he really only has light on the front of his face, the sides already fall into shadow. What kind of light source is that? Is it actually only the size of the front of his face, or is it falloff or proximity keeping it from lighting the sides of the face? Or is it post processing brightening the center of the face?

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Best guess it's just the edge of falloff from a beauty dish or something at a pretty severe angle over/above the camera.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Maybe a strip light over head and some black cards on the side?

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Well that's the bar I guess... jesus

Bread Zeppelin
Aug 2, 2006
Stairway to Leaven
I'm not saying this just to be contrarian or because I think I'm great, but I'm not that wowed by most of the things in there. There are some shots with really great interesting lighting, but a lot of the shots look intentionally pretentious with overly contrived posing. If you took the "GUCCI" logo off that set of images, would they still be worth looking at?
Maybe that's just how high fashion photography is; I guess it's just not for me.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Bread Zeppelin posted:

I'm not saying this just to be contrarian or because I think I'm great, but I'm not that wowed by most of the things in there. There are some shots with really great interesting lighting, but a lot of the shots look intentionally pretentious with overly contrived posing. If you took the "GUCCI" logo off that set of images, would they still be worth looking at?
Maybe that's just how high fashion photography is; I guess it's just not for me.

How much lit work have you done? His control of lighting alone is awe-worthy, and I challenge anyone who's done their own lighting so say this guy isn't in the top .001% of light control.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Benoit Paillé is doing more good work these days. Lately, I have been watching his candid portrait series:

Google Translate posted:

Discovery Project by Benoit Paille, a young self-taught photographer of 24 years: Stranger Project is to meet the people he meets by chance in the street. Sa démarche “Interroger le monde moderne et tenter de briser l'individualisme et l'anonymat de la grande ville”. His approach "Questioning the modern world and try to break individualism and anonymity of the big city."

http://www.fubiz.net/2010/01/22/stranger-project/

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

brad industry posted:

Great stuff. Lots and lots of it not safe for work.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

Mannequin posted:

Benoit Paillé is doing more good work these days. Lately, I have been watching his candid portrait series:

brad industry posted:

Really good stuff, more ideas to steal..I mean take inspiration from.

less_than_one
Aug 29, 2004

Some fantastic photos in this thread.

I finally got my thumb out and scanned my grandfather's collection of late '30s postcards from the US sent him by a friend or relative who had moved there. Too bad I can't ask him. They seem to be hand colourised photos, between 1937 and 1939. They made it all the way to good old pre-war, pre-commie Czechoslovakia. Most of the cards were never sent, maybe because of ze war?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hellcanwait/sets/72157623868186352/

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Mannequin posted:

This is way too much contrast for a girl with freckles.

VVVV I get that he's trying to accentuate it, but I still think he's pulled it up too much. Look at her eyes -- they also have that oversharpened Topaz Adjust (tm) (r) look to them (yes, I know he didn't use Topaz Adjust).

orange lime fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 27, 2010

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

orange lime posted:

This is way too much contrast for a girl with freckles.

I get the feeling he was trying to accentuate the freckles, looks good to me.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

less_than_one posted:

postcards

I'm confused.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

Bread Zeppelin posted:

Think of it like the most complicated and technically challenging music you've ever heard performed as well as anyone can, just you don't like the song. That's how I feel about it anyway.

VVV I was actually thinking of some annoying guitar music that is too complicated and pretentious. I don't really like the photos, but I can see he knows what he's doing with studio lighting.

TomR fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 27, 2010

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

TomR posted:

Think of it like the most complicated and technically challenging music you've ever heard performed as well as anyone can, just you don't like the song. That's how I feel about it anyway.

I wouldn't say those photos or the photographer are anywhere near as good as a Chopin ballade, but I see where your coming from.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

less_than_one posted:

I finally got my thumb out and scanned my grandfather's collection of late '30s postcards from the US sent him by a friend or relative who had moved there. Too bad I can't ask him. They seem to be hand colourised photos, between 1937 and 1939. They made it all the way to good old pre-war, pre-commie Czechoslovakia. Most of the cards were never sent, maybe because of ze war?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hellcanwait/sets/72157623868186352/

Are you sure these are photographs? There seems to be an extreme lack of detail but I guess that could come from how the artist colored them in.

Edit: I should say it is most noticeable in the first one.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I dont wanna sidetrack the thread, so I'll just post a couple photographers I really like--

http://www.eugeniorecuenco.com/fichas/301.html

http://www.pacoperegrin.com/main.html

somnambulist fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 30, 2010

less_than_one
Aug 29, 2004

RangerScum posted:

Are you sure these are photographs? There seems to be an extreme lack of detail but I guess that could come from how the artist colored them in.

Edit: I should say it is most noticeable in the first one.

I gave these a closer look and googled around some. Tthese are "C.T.Art-Colortone" linen postcards. A lot of them look like watercolours and all are pretty low-res/quality compared what's available today. The garish colours they are touched up with further add to the un-photographic quality. Still most of them are recognisable as photos rather than drawings, which I think makes them all.

I know this isn't really the thread for historical photographs/postcards, but I didn't know where else to put them...

Does anyone know any more about these? (see a lot of these around, but no info on how they were made, techniques used, etc).

brad industry
May 22, 2004
They look like lithographs to me.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Cecil Beaton.

I'm a sucker for nice B&W portraits.

My Flickr Page! :nws:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

somnambulist posted:

I dont wanna sidetrack the thread, so I'll just post a couple photographers I really like--

http://www.eugeniorecuenco.com/fichas/301.html

I'm not sure I 'get' the composition on this one but it's still goddamn amazing. I like shooting landscapes, and I've tried shooting models, but the idea of trying to do both at once boggles my mind. I absolutely love this guys stuff.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Among many things wrong in the world, I was born too late to ever get the chance to shoot with 4x5 Kodachrome :qq:

Why did you have to point this out?! It actually makes me feel like tears are welling up in my eyes knowing that Kodachrome is dead. Especially since I just got into photography half a year ago and really want to start shooting film.

Moist von Lipwig fucked around with this message at 12:45 on May 7, 2010

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Why did you have to point this out?! It actually makes me feel like tears are welling up in my eyes knowing that Kodachrome is dead. Especially since I just got into photography half a year ago and really want to start shooting film.

Last week I came across a couple rolls of K64 in 120 on eBay and got kinda excited (expired in the mid nineties, but I shot some non-refrigerated K25 a few years ago that came out alright). After some Googling I realized it would be impossible to get it processed anywhere; Dwayne's can only accommodate 35mm Kodachrome :smith:

You can still shoot 35mm for the rest of the year, at least. I just got two rolls back, have two more in the fridge.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

brad industry posted:

This stuff is awesome, however some of it is :nws:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Last week I came across a couple rolls of K64 in 120 on eBay and got kinda excited (expired in the mid nineties, but I shot some non-refrigerated K25 a few years ago that came out alright). After some Googling I realized it would be impossible to get it processed anywhere; Dwayne's can only accommodate 35mm Kodachrome :smith:

You can still shoot 35mm for the rest of the year, at least. I just got two rolls back, have two more in the fridge.

This is heartbreaking :(

Is there anything that even approaches kodachrome in terms of colour crispness etc?

brad industry
May 22, 2004
This portfolio aggregator thing is cool:

http://thisalso.com/

polysynth
Dec 12, 2006

rock out

Twenties Superstar posted:

haha sorry to bring up something from like 5 months ago but scrolling down this one caught my eye right away. I thought it was interesting how it caught the most flak. some work that struck me last year along the same vibe:

by Melissa Catanese

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Pompous Rhombus posted:

If they can bring Polaroid film back from the dead, there's got to be someone out there who'd do the same for Kodachrome.

I know that if I had millions of dollars to donate to charity I'd spend at least a couple million buying up old film production machines and recreating the Kodachrome production line/processing facility. I'd have my own little baby Kodak facility, supplying and processing Kodachrome in any size you liked. Imagine shooting it with a 20x24 :swoon:

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

orange lime posted:

If they can bring Polaroid film back from the dead, there's got to be someone out there who'd do the same for Kodachrome.

Are you talking about The Impossible Project? Hasn't the film been total crap so far?

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

orange lime posted:

I know that if I had millions of dollars to donate to charity I'd spend at least a couple million buying up old film production machines and recreating the Kodachrome production line/processing facility. I'd have my own little baby Kodak facility, supplying and processing Kodachrome in any size you liked. Imagine shooting it with a 20x24 :swoon:

I was talking to a photojournalist today and I think he mentioned that the problem with Kodachrome isn't just that the development process is so technical and difficult, but that the chemicals required are being clamped down on by the (insert government agency here - fda?) because they are dangerous or toxic. Quick google search shows nothing of the sort but I was sure he said that.

If there's truth to that I guess it would mean even if you hand unlimited money, it would still be impossible.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Mannequin posted:

I was talking to a photojournalist today and I think he mentioned that the problem with Kodachrome isn't just that the development process is so technical and difficult, but that the chemicals required are being clamped down on by the (insert government agency here - fda?) because they are dangerous or toxic. Quick google search shows nothing of the sort but I was sure he said that.

If there's truth to that I guess it would mean even if you hand unlimited money, it would still be impossible.

I dunno -- in the USA you can acquire nearly any chemical you want, right up to things like dimethylmercury and highly active radioisotopes, as long as you have the right permits and dispose of waste properly. Whatever Dwayne is currently using can't be *that* bad if places all over the country were doing Kodachrome processing for years without any bad effects. Photographic chemicals certainly aren't good for you, but you don't hear of "darkroom disease" or anything.

It seems to me that Dwayne's was doing good business processing Kodachrome, so there's a market for it. The only reason it's disappeared is because the small shops didn't want to deal with the process, so consumers bought E-6 film that they could get developed locally, so Kodak couldn't sell enough film to keep the lines open.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Yeah, logic says it has more to do with profitability than anything else. What's unfortunate, though, is that I think we are actually beginning to see a surge in film use and I think it could get even stronger. I'm hoping I can buy a film camera and get at least one roll of Kodachrome developed before it's too late.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

nonanone posted:

Avedon will never stop being my ultimate inspiration :swoon:

I am friends with Avedon's nephew. We used to work together. He has told me some cool stories about getting his photo shot by his Uncle when he was younger. Talk about awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

buyable posted:

haha sorry to bring up something from like 5 months ago but scrolling down this one caught my eye right away. I thought it was interesting how it caught the most flak. some work that struck me last year along the same vibe:

by Melissa Catanese
I was in a group mini-show recently, there was a guy with somewhat large prints that remind me of the one Twenties posted, they were very much underwhelming, and I actually liked them better. He was also a prick.

That photo you posted is pretty cool, though...

• Locked thread