Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

brad industry posted:

I really like this one, but then I am a sucker for clean lines. They have their own elegant beauty and the subdued colours add to it

Regression posted:

I promised some content in return. I might have the following from the art thread, which I haven't read in a while:

I don't like this one. The loungers clutter up the image and your eye fluctuates between two different points of interest (them and the girl)

If the photographer was aiming to capture an emotion, he should have just included the girl and the pool, so we concentrated on her and thus were more likely to empathise with her.

It's too messy to convey anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

spog posted:

If the photographer was aiming to capture an emotion, he should have just included the girl and the pool, so we concentrated on her and thus were more likely to empathise with her.

Personally I hate the tension at the point where the pool railing bisects the girl's waist. Maybe the photographer aligned it that way intentionally, but to me it's like a finger twisting at the back of my neck. Just unpleasant to see.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

spog posted:

Do you really think this photo is about the girl? Or an emotion?

Seems like he shot her back to emphasize that it's not about her.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

brad industry posted:

Do you really think this photo is about the girl? Or an emotion?

Seems like he shot her back to emphasize that it's not about her.

She's slap bang in the middle of the frame and the only object that is in focus. So, yes, I think she is the key subject here.

If his intent is elsewhere, then to me, it simply looks like a poorly composed and misfocussed shot.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Twenties Superstar posted:

Sometimes I am honestly not sure

Despite fairly often disagreeing with you, I appreciate your posts because you're not just an uneducated armchair artist come to give knee jerk responses, and as such there is often challenging ideas or opinions.

spog posted:

She's slap bang in the middle of the frame and the only object that is in focus. So, yes, I think she is the key subject here.

If his intent is elsewhere, then to me, it simply looks like a poorly composed and misfocussed shot.

All the leading lines take you away from her directly after seeing her, and the bright of the top cement also forces you to take in the whole photo. If anything, it's about summer days, not her.

Regression
Nov 7, 2009

Twenties Superstar posted:

I'm curious to see if you can try and explain why you like this image:

given you're rejection of images taken from a stand-and-shoot position

Thanks for the extrapolation!

As to the photo I chose, I actually DID realise when I chose it that it (in ways) is sort of similar to the one I DIDN'T like.

I like the sense of space in this one. I'm not sure how to explain it. Somehow, the woman "should" be close than she is, and the fact that she seems further off than she "should" adds depth. It has to do with the perspective, I guess.

In contrast to the other photo, this one does impart a sense of balance and tranquility in me. It probably has to do with the nearly 1:1 ratio, and the fact that the woman is dead centre on the horisontal dimension. Note that both of these factors break "the rules", and yet it works.

I also like the subdued colors, and the way there is only really two colors (woman's skin = concrete). But because the two colors are what they are, there is still a lot of contrast between the them.

As to the lines, they probably please me subconsciously. Maybe it's the way she sort of creates a triangle with the railing and the edge of the pool. The railing and the edge of the photo create another triangle; while the railing, edge of pool, and edge of photo approximates another triangle. There is a final approximation of a triangle in the top part of the picture, with the pool edge as the bottom border.

I agree that the top part might be a bit distracting, but when I look at the picture I *feel* [tranquil, something], and my eyes sort of unfocus and float away - perhaps like the woman is doing , looking at the scene before her.

So yeah, to me it is more the sense of melancholic tranquility that I get from it.

Also, as to its "stand-and-shoot" position, it works here because I'm not looking at something I see every day (some random ugly street). Here I am looking at something I actually WOULD LIKE to be looking at. I would LIKE to be in the position of the photographer, looking at this scene. Therefore it is good that it is taken from a position that simulates me being there.

Also, although it is taken and stand-and-shoot height, we are looking slightly down, whereas the first photo was straight ahead and therefore feels more point-and-shoot.

Regression fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 3, 2010

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

spog posted:

I really like this one, but then I am a sucker for clean lines. They have their own elegant beauty and the subdued colours add to it

I don't like this one. The loungers clutter up the image and your eye fluctuates between two different points of interest (them and the girl)

Worst of all, I can't see her rear end.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Worst of all, I can't see her rear end.
This right here adds another layer to the image, but I don't know Shore's intent...

What people are missing is that this photo was taken when photos like that were new and awesome... Hooray exciting banality - in color!

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
Yeah, and much of Shore's work includes elements that make them very easy to place in time. Nothing like that in this one, but I don't think it needs it, as it's a strong image without temporal context.

And are those birds perched at the water's edge? Let's say she's looking at those birds. A photograph being in part a gaze, Shore's captured her gaze, too. Very abyme, but it also creates a sort of tension--a holding of one's breath so as not to disturb a delicate scene. The railing not only directs our eye toward her, but it obscures her sexuality (as does the distortion of the water affecting her legs), so we begin to see her not as a beautiful woman in a pool but as a person in the midst of contemplation. The edge of the pool, the furniture, the body of water, and the far shore in the top of the frame all create pleasant lines that direct us toward the top right, toward the birds and the objects of her gaze.

If those aren't birds, well, whatever, most of those visual elements still work.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
I think a good case could be made in pulling out a sense of "where the male gazes at the female, the female gazes at the birds." Which is especially interesting considering some of the discussion of the photo in this thread ;)

brad industry
May 22, 2004

spog posted:

I just asked because to me it seems like Shore has taken aggressive steps to not make her the subject of the image, despite being in the center of the frame.

Angela Strassheim was a forensic photographer but is now a fine artist.

Her newer work, "Evidence":

brad industry fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 4, 2010

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

For the Shore image, I agree with the sentiment that the girl is not the focus. Instead, I see her a compositional element, a starting point. The first thing after seeing the girl, my eyes immediately slide upwards to the strong diagonal water/land line. The bars at the bottom are there to direct your attention away, sort of "keep going, keep going, nothing to see here."

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh
So I'd been following My Little Dead Dick back when it started (2006), but they broke up and it was bad and all the photos disappeared. Well I decided to take a look for them today and it looks like they're friends again and the photos are back up - http://www.hellopatpat.com/mldd_e.html

This is probably my favourite autobiographical work ever.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

brad industry posted:

This is really great.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

brad industry posted:

I just asked because to me it seems like Shore has taken aggressive steps to not make her the subject of the image, despite being in the center of the frame.

I'm embarrassed that it took me a second glance to get the Botticelli reference. Having said that, the perl/ball thing seems like it is out of place. Venus was the jewel in the shell, and it has the subtlety of a sledge hammer. But maybe the reference isn't meant to be subtle? (I'm a total hack at this stuff.) An amazing piece though.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i love most of melanie einzig's work but this goes beyond the beyond

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

I HATE CARS posted:

So I'd been following My Little Dead Dick back when it started (2006), but they broke up and it was bad and all the photos disappeared. Well I decided to take a look for them today and it looks like they're friends again and the photos are back up - http://www.hellopatpat.com/mldd_e.html

This is probably my favourite autobiographical work ever.

The more I've gotten into photography the more I dislike this kind of work. I think its maybe the self indulgence, I don't know, or I'm getting older and young people are starting to poo poo me. :corsair:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Spedman posted:

The more I've gotten into photography the more I dislike this kind of work. I think its maybe the self indulgence, I don't know, or I'm getting older and young people are starting to poo poo me. :corsair:

I'm generally the same way (even with older people who do it, I've gone through a few such books [picked up by accident when pulling books at random from library shelves]), but I thought the photos from the series linked were actually pretty good.

I don't have the theoretical background to defend my stance on disliking most self-portrait series, it's just a gut reaction not really rooted in aesthetics.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I'm generally the same way (even with older people who do it, I've gone through a few such books [picked up by accident when pulling books at random from library shelves]), but I thought the photos from the series linked were actually pretty good.

I don't have the theoretical background to defend my stance on disliking most self-portrait series, it's just a gut reaction not really rooted in aesthetics.

Yeah I think it is the self-indulgence that shines through and is off-putting about people who spend a huge amount of time on self-portraits.

Satchmo
Nov 3, 2005
!?
I really like this series, unfortunately I can't find any big versions :(

http://www.surfingstoke.com/photography/riding-a-wave-with-dustin-humphrey/

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

slightly bigger:

Click here for the full 842x596 image.

a bunch of his work was given out as posters in various surf magazines a year or so back.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

I really love Nick Brandt, have both his books. Medium format B&W wildlife!

You can see more here, or look through all his shots on his website.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

East Lake posted:

Wow they're all great but the last one is amazing.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

East Lake posted:

I was sure I had posted Nick Brandt in this thread but apparently not.

I love him. A girl I dated was set to do an internship with him but she turned it down to date a guy (not me)

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

:aaaaa:

That guy turn out to be the man of her dreams?

Also I have to ask since I'm a photography newbie but what kind of connections would you need to get in on an internship with a photographer like that?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

East Lake posted:

:aaaaa:

That guy turn out to be the man of her dreams?

Also I have to ask since I'm a photography newbie but what kind of connections would you need to get in on an internship with a photographer like that?

No, he cheated on her. Which worked out conveniently for me but not for her.

I work right now for one of my favorite photographers ever and I basically got it by emailing her with how I could help her succeed more.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

I admit I'm still surprised but at the same time it seems like something that would work since it's so deceptively straightforward, aside from constructing the email itself.

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
Causation or Correlation?
NSFWRyan McGinley and his coked-up naked kids.NSFW

Edit: NUDITY!!

Subjunctivitis fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jun 24, 2010

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Subjunctivitis posted:

This is awesome?

Fuzzy Cosmonaut
Jun 22, 2010

Civilekonom
Edward Burtynsky is awesome and anyone who doesn't agree.. uhm.. doesn't agree.

http://www.edwardburtynsky.com/

Click here for the full 1024x683 image.

There's a great movie about him and some shoots and places he's been. Landfills, huge chinese factories and such

Youtube trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv23xwe0BoU

And because I'm a huge patriot who just loving loves my country to death, here's some swedish photographers/legends to check out:

Christer Strömholm
Anders Petersen
Lars Tunbjörk

Fuzzy Cosmonaut fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jun 24, 2010

Timage
Feb 6, 2006

East Lake posted:

These are fantastic. Is it the film that gives it that almost-sepia/slight brown-red tinge or is this something I can do with digital?

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Subjunctivitis posted:

I'm not a massive McGinley fan but that whole series was loving amazing, probably the best work he's ever done.

Speaking of McGinley, here is a video he directed where Carolyn Murphy makes out with a dog in slow motion:

http://www.selectism.com/news/2010/06/24/video-ryan-mcginley-entrance-romance/

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

brad industry posted:

Speaking of McGinley, here is a video he directed where Carolyn Murphy makes out with a dog in slow motion:

http://www.selectism.com/news/2010/06/24/video-ryan-mcginley-entrance-romance/

I really love the work he did with Tilda Swinton for Pringle of Scotland

http://vimeo.com/8727939

Maybe not up to some of his other work - but it is one of my favourite photographers and one of my favourite actresses' together.

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i love most of melanie einzig's work but this goes beyond the beyond

Holy crap, this one is awesome.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Timage posted:

These are fantastic. Is it the film that gives it that almost-sepia/slight brown-red tinge or is this something I can do with digital?
I know he has mentioned that he does curve adjustments in photoshop, or something like that. Not sure if the sepia look is done digitally or through some darkroom process, I'll try to find out though.

East Lake fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 25, 2010

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
Causation or Correlation?

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

This is awesome?

Reminds me of William Blake

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

https://www.dansaelinger.com

I like this guys stuff. I've seen a couple of his images show up in the magazines I read. I've started to pay attention to photo credits a lot now. I'm trying to figure out how to do more photo illustration.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
He went to me and poop's alma mater, one of my best friends assists him. His work rules.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

https://www.dansaelinger.com

I like this guys stuff. I've seen a couple of his images show up in the magazines I read. I've started to pay attention to photo credits a lot now. I'm trying to figure out how to do more photo illustration.

These are really good but the topaz adjust look is bothering me a little bit.

It's a shame actually, because I looked at the site and all his stuff is really good.

Especially this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Moist von Lipwig posted:

These are really good but the topaz adjust look is bothering me a little bit.

It's a shame actually, because I looked at the site and all his stuff is really good.

The sharpening style didn't really bother me here because of the strength of the concept and execution. I think it overcomes the nitpicks. When I try to add some wacky editing to my photos they still just suck because its a bad photo to begin with.

• Locked thread