Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bread Zeppelin
Aug 2, 2006
Stairway to Leaven

Twenties Superstar posted:

I'm sorry I'm not going to reply fully to this, I have to go to work. I'm just going to say that maybe you aren't cut out for this whole art thing.

I think he has some very fair criticisms about that image and I agree. Your attitude of "I'm not going to defend this work because none of you would understand" sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Zeppelin
Aug 2, 2006
Stairway to Leaven

notlodar posted:

A parallel to work being considered good on the merits of the photographer's name is pictures of famous people considered good just because of the subject. Every year in the Communication Arts photography annual there are at least 3-4 snapshots of celebrities. If the subject was anyone else it wouldn't even get good comments on flickr. Other than judges' response of "Oooh celebrities!" can anyone explain why this is?

Bread Zeppelin
Aug 2, 2006
Stairway to Leaven
I'm not saying this just to be contrarian or because I think I'm great, but I'm not that wowed by most of the things in there. There are some shots with really great interesting lighting, but a lot of the shots look intentionally pretentious with overly contrived posing. If you took the "GUCCI" logo off that set of images, would they still be worth looking at?
Maybe that's just how high fashion photography is; I guess it's just not for me.

Bread Zeppelin
Aug 2, 2006
Stairway to Leaven

Rot posted:

While not nearly as emotionally moving as the last few galleries, whenever I see a Grant Gunderson photo on the cover of a ski magazine I get all excited. He's my favourite sports photographer.

Not sure how to link an image off his site:
http://www.grantgunderson.com/

I find his work doubly inspiring/frustrating: I can't shoot like him nor can I ski like the athletes he shoots.

I know him!

• Locked thread