Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arinel
Aug 16, 2006
How does the water of the brain yield the wine of conscious experience? - Some one quoted it once.
That's absolutely beautiful. I hope I wont sound noobish when I ask this, but who made it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006
How does the water of the brain yield the wine of conscious experience? - Some one quoted it once.
I purchase the magazine GUP and it had this website in it: http://www.in-public.com

I couldn't find my favorite photo Joel Meyerowitz but I found these instead:

Matt Stuart

Richard Bram

I think Richard Bram's photo here may not be very strong in some respects, but the atmosphere just makes me love it. :)

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006
I am a huge baby, I totally teared up (no real crying because I was at work).

The thing that made my gut drop was the photo of the father's note pad. The slow realisation as you read the list, you realise as he would have realised, first you don't know one little thing and then you realise you have no idea where anyone is. For all you know you could be completely alone. Adrift. Oh, and the message he wrote to his wife, who would never hear it.

Argh and his sighing.

Okay, so everything was sad.

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006

torgeaux posted:

But, it's also great. The last comment the son made, about his dad having gone to Paris to meet his Mum, is heart-warming and sweet, even to an atheist like me.

Not for me, if the afterlife is real then yay, if it's not think of all those people dying knowing they were going to a good place. That just chills me. BUT ENOUGH ABOUT RELIGION.

But it's beautiful, it's just ultimately sad.

Moving is the word. Photography should be moving, art should move people.

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006
I don't think I've seen Jonas Bendiksen's stuff on here before.

Check out the rest here.
The photo of a boy working with a mallet and the boy in the street surrounded by bowls are just a couple of the great ones.

(They are all about the importance/issues with slums, this one being Dharavi in Mumbai.)

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006
Mark Shaw
Edit: Woops! I didn't even think about it being a bit NWS! Bit sleepy today. (took out the photo w bewbs)

Arinel fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 20, 2010

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006

Oprah Haza posted:

To get the thread back on track: http://danwintersphoto.com/

This guy is great and very prolific. A lot of his still life/interior stuff reminds me of Brad's style. Very cool, very fun. His portrait of Tom Hanks tends to divide my friends on it's legitimacy though (I think it's p. coo). I feel that some of his portraits get a bit repetitive but I am in love with his shot of Sandra Bullock.

Oh, he did the Brad Pitt stuff for Wired. I loved that.

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006
I'm really liking Tom Hido. http://www.toddhido.com/

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006
Mae Ryan : Ladies of the Polytechnical Museum

Alex Stoddard : 365 Project

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006

Reichstag posted:

Some stuff.

I honestly agree with you about all of the things you said here, however I feel that square crop/colours etc. while it can influence views I'm not sure you can judge his work on that account. Though I totally agree that you have noticed something that is similar in these Flickr super-stars.

I also agree it's generic a lot of his other stuff, dreamy white boy poses with some indie element. Someone asked me if it was talented (or at least we got on talking about his talent) and I agreed his themes are generic. His vision is nothing new. Good photography comes from a message which can only come through in a series. His and any 365 I've seen seriously lacks that.

But 365 isn't about being a good photographer (mostly) it's about learning to be better. Literally practice makes perfect. It's like buying the camera, it can be 'expensive' (temporally, or for the pocket) but it is somewhat necessary. I agree that in the days of Flickr this then gives a limit to the budding artist, or at least drives them in the wrong direction.

In the sense that all the views will be for one pretty picture without the soul of art.

I don't think that should stop us from looking at pretty 365s (or other similar 'Flickr' projects) but when looking we should be aware.

As he matures I (believe) that an artist will strive to put meaning and structure into a series. But maybe we should argue this when he brings out another series.
And it is possible that he will make this sort of stuff forever, but while people may 'know' him I don't think this existence will erode other photographers (or their vision etc.) because generic just becomes more obvious as you make more work.

If he wants to get to a gallery (that isn't smallish) he's going to have to become more like a photographer as we see them. And if he wants to get money just by selling this stuff, then people will recognise that this sort of selling makes him more of a tradesman than an artist. But, as I said, I don't think it will go that way, he's quite young and his work has a naivety above that of the generic white boy innocence that is we expect to see in these shots.

[Edit, since I didn't want to fill the thread with OT stuff but I also wanted to clarify.] I also think pretty things are important, and not just important because they are practice. I just don't think they can obtain the level of art that a series of work (w the same amount of skill) that has meaning can obtain.

Arinel fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Aug 15, 2011

• Locked thread