Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
This is an image straight out-of-camera and from a Facebook posting. This was taken by our university photographer Daniel Miller. He's a really great guy, and a great photographer. This image stands out to me because I was at this exact same ceremony and his shot blows mine out of the water. He's just the type of photographer to size up a situation very quickly and come up with a winning composition under all types of restrictions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Some dude buys a box of negatives for $400, starts scanning them, and discovers some unbelievable, completely unseen street photography.

He finds out they're all by a woman named Vivian Maier. He googled, and all he found was an obituary from a few days back.

Here's a video
http://www.wttw.com/main.taf?p=42,8,80&pid=A1hO97qcWo7ViDL_rWniVH2LakYxNa7J

And here's a blog of the guy whose trying to scan over 100,000 of her negatives.
http://vivianmaier.blogspot.com/

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

mr. mephistopheles posted:

E: Deleted for not impressing anyone.

lame. who cares what other people think? if you like it, explain why.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
A girl I went to high school with posts a lot of stuff on Facebook. At first, she seemed to be posting a lot of sort of gimmicky things, hipster-y holga stuff, etc. But most recently, she's really started to develop.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

Twenties Superstar posted:

Returning to the original point I would say that one could argue that the fact that this is an instant photo implies a certain off-the-cuffness (corroborated by the time stamp, just a day in the life) and that the sloppy geometry of the image itself is contrasted to the perfect rectangle of the frame. Similarly, the dirty white and grey in the image is contrasted to the perfect whiteness of the border. Was this the original intent of the photographer? Maybe, but probably not. I don't think that it matters in the least because its a cool looking photo that shows something other than what you see every day browsing photo forums and flickr.

You've pointed out why this photo resonates with me. It's an instant photo, taken at night on the last day of 2010. There's a guy all dressed up standing against a dirty garage door at a run-down-looking building. That in itself is interesting because I start making up all sorts of stories as to why he's there. Then, you add all of the purely aesthetic qualities of the photo -- the concentric rectangles, the mostly parallel yet off-kilter lines, mostly monochromatic color palette with odd splashes of color... it's a nice photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
I just linked a bunch of pictures from her Facebook I kinda liked. I was just pleasantly surprised with how much she'd progressed since I knew her in high school. :confuoot:

• Locked thread