Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

somnambulist posted:

I dont wanna sidetrack the thread, so I'll just post a couple photographers I really like--

http://www.eugeniorecuenco.com/fichas/301.html

I'm not sure I 'get' the composition on this one but it's still goddamn amazing. I like shooting landscapes, and I've tried shooting models, but the idea of trying to do both at once boggles my mind. I absolutely love this guys stuff.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Among many things wrong in the world, I was born too late to ever get the chance to shoot with 4x5 Kodachrome :qq:

Why did you have to point this out?! It actually makes me feel like tears are welling up in my eyes knowing that Kodachrome is dead. Especially since I just got into photography half a year ago and really want to start shooting film.

Moist von Lipwig fucked around with this message at 12:45 on May 7, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Last week I came across a couple rolls of K64 in 120 on eBay and got kinda excited (expired in the mid nineties, but I shot some non-refrigerated K25 a few years ago that came out alright). After some Googling I realized it would be impossible to get it processed anywhere; Dwayne's can only accommodate 35mm Kodachrome :smith:

You can still shoot 35mm for the rest of the year, at least. I just got two rolls back, have two more in the fridge.

This is heartbreaking :(

Is there anything that even approaches kodachrome in terms of colour crispness etc?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

JaundiceDave posted:

That last one is the one I whip out as a counter example whenever someone says "the best portraits are in black and white."

Funnily enough thats exactly what I thought when I saw it. I'm guessing he shoots film, correct?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

I HATE CARS posted:

Okay, done: http://bettr.superpositionkitty.com/

You can link to peoples 'pages' on bettr like so: http://bettr.superpositionkitty.com/#/harry kaufmann/.

This is awesome.

You are awesome.

Of course I missed the fact that you had made a link to Harry Kaufmann's flickr and went searching through the thread to find his flickr account, only to forget your URL, go back, check your post and realized I'd wasted 10 minutes. :sigh:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

https://www.dansaelinger.com

I like this guys stuff. I've seen a couple of his images show up in the magazines I read. I've started to pay attention to photo credits a lot now. I'm trying to figure out how to do more photo illustration.

These are really good but the topaz adjust look is bothering me a little bit.

It's a shame actually, because I looked at the site and all his stuff is really good.

Especially this:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

The sharpening style didn't really bother me here because of the strength of the concept and execution. I think it overcomes the nitpicks. When I try to add some wacky editing to my photos they still just suck because its a bad photo to begin with.

Oh I agree, he could selective-colour/HDR/etc these and they'd still be better pictures than anything I've shot. The Dorkroom has just trained my eyes to loathe Topaz Adjust :D

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

poopinmymouth posted:

Excellent concepts that are ruined in post for me by the overdark micro contrast. Why does he have such a strong vision for the shoot but then thing that kind of contrast looks pleasing? I feel like my retinas were punched. (by nice designer Gucci gloves, but punched no less)

This is what I was trying to get at but my semi-limited technical vocabularly just spat out "topaz adjust". Thanks PiMM.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
William Eggleston is so delightfully insane.

But he does colour like no one else.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

ZoCrowes posted:

Peter Lindbergh

Oh wow, this is loving great.

No one too famous but I've been watching this guy on flickr who shoots a lot of asian city landscapes, but he uses 8x10 Ektachrome 100 and the results are just awesome.

Really these are just raw drum scans, but there's so much detail there I can just stare for hours.

Seoul #15 prescan by Thomas Birke, on Flickr

Hong Kong #91 -drumscan by Thomas Birke, on Flickr

Hong Kong #62-#63 -drumscan by Thomas Birke, on Flickr

Oh how I long to shoot 8x10 :sigh:

Also for fun download the full size and practice curve color correction in Photoshop ;)

Moist von Lipwig fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 25, 2010

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Pompous Rhombus posted:

.... but I've got my eyes permanently peeled for a Gowland 8x10.

Yeah tell me about it. Is there any chance that someone else will pick up production of his camera's now that he's gone or will they just kind of fade into obscurity? A monorail camera that weighs less than 10 pounds is really not something that should stop being made.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

unixbeard posted:

Here is a gallery of the 2010 Nikon-Walkley Press Photo Awards:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/gallery-e6frg6nf-1225939122829?page=1

This one got an audible gasp from me. I got goosebumps too.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Axel Serenity posted:

The Earth is loving awesome. That guy is awesome. I can't even imagine how that photo was taken with the perfect settings at the perfect time, but it's goddamn inspiring.

I bet if you asked him

:haw: Oh yeah I just set it to auto!
:what: ...oh

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
#47 Is pretty mind boggling as well. I can't imagine being on that ship, despite the fact that it probably weighs 60,000 tonnes, it looks so fragile :ohdear:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Paragon8 posted:

As twee as most of those are that kind of thing is going to absolutely explode in the weddings/engagement type markets.

Oh god you're right, I wonder if these would work in digital picture frames. That would actually be drat cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

plasmoduck posted:

Yeah, or the colours/tones/postprocessing? Either way, the pictures look a lot more "conceptual" than most "hey it's an insect in front of blurry leaves/stones"-type shots. There's also many nice ones with somewhat unusual composition.

It's like he's really making the narrow DoF you get with macro work with him instead of against him, and just totally nailing the focus.

• Locked thread