Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
Here are some images of a thesis project from one of the MFA students I worked with.
He takes model ships and train sets and stuff like that, breaks them up, then builds aquatic installations out of them to construct scenes from a future post-apocalypse.

I think his work is pretty damned awesome.

http://www.bennettmorris.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

Pretty Cool Name posted:

Caves? HAH!

How about under water caves?!

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2010/08/bahamas-caves/skiles-photography

drat, those are awesome.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

Oh good, the dreaded "What is Art?" question. I've got a fine art degree, and the general consensus at my college was mostly this:

Art is anything you create and call art, or anything you place in an artistic context. A toilet is a regular ol' object if it's in your house, but it becomes art if the toilet's sculptor asks you to examine it as art - or if another artist presents it as art as a way to make a statement about gallery culture and whatnot.

Photos are art if the photographer calls them art. If someone found a bunch of point-and-shoot cameras laying in a puddle, developed the shots, and exhibited them in an artistic context, that too would be art. Passport photos presented as art are art. Etc. etc.

Whether or not that art is interesting or effective, well, that's a much bigger question. A well-expressed intent gives some leeway and can make boring images become quite interesting if they're curated or presented with an interesting theme, but there's plenty of rampant bullshitting out there too.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

That's pretty rad. It's fun to play with timelapse stacking like he's doing there.
I tried one a couple years ago with a half hour of separation between the red, green, and blue channels - sort of an extremely exaggerated trichrome process, I guess. Turned out a bit too gimmicky to be of any real use though.
Trichrome test

e: removed some stuff

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Feb 7, 2011

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

Cannister posted:

He's got a really great "stranger" series on his flickr stream. Username's Benoit.P I believe. As far as I can tell the dude just goes to random people on the street or knocks on their door, tells them he wants to take their portrait and then they let him. It's very neat.

Ah: here's the link.

That's really damned cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

Arguing about the auction value of a piece of work is always kinda silly. Auction prices don't directly reflect cultural value. Why did Rhine II go for $4.3 million? Because someone with $4.3 million didn't want anyone else to own it. Gursky's got pieces in some pretty big museums and his work's been steadily fetching more and more money at major auctions, that tends to make bidders a lot more aggressive. It's certainly still art, but art wrapped up as a luxury commodity.

I've been a runner at some art auctions before. It's a pretty weird feeling to stand there on stage holding up canvasses I've recognized from my art history textbooks while old rich jerks get into bidding wars over them. Oh boy! I'm holding something worth $250,000 and getting ten bucks an hour to babysit it!

• Locked thread