Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand

Fbi2thegrave posted:

I know exactly what you mean about banality, and I've taken banal photos that are very intimate solely due to the fact that they are ordinary objects that express some sort of emotion or feeling, but that photo is not banality. It's just goddamn boring.

For those of you who think that photo is 'goddamn boring' I'm curious what your opinions are of work like this:

Not trying to jump into this argument in any way, I'm genuinely curious what your reactions are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I just found out about https://www.cpoy.org College Photographer of the Year competition. The winners in the portrait category are my favorite. I haven't seen the actual name of the photographers anywhere yet but the Bronze winner of the portrait category is bad rear end. http://www.cpoy.org/index.php?s=WinningImages&c=216#3.0 I love the way the photographer chose to show the guy as a portrait. All the little details make it, like his sweet wallpaper, and his suspenders.

The Gold portrait winner made me all :(

These are fantastic

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
http://cup2013.wordpress.com/tag/sohei-nishino/

Holy. poo poo. This is awesome, and probably one of the few times I've properly used that word.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007

Creepy Goat posted:

I almost think of it as the amount of effort that has gone into the shot; so the quick 'snap' didn't take much effort but could still capture something much more amazing than the guy who stopped, set up and adjusted before taking a shot. If the subject was exactly the same then clearly the prior-preparation of the second shooter would net them a better picture.

I would have to argue this. The two photos would certainly be different, but to say that one would be inherently 'better' is debatable.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
Something else you have to remember is that there is something going on *behind* the camera as well as in front. The hypothetical well-trained photographer is going to communicate the urgency and immediacy of that quick and dirty snapshot, and make it part of the image. Part of the message. *That* quick decision-making, instinct-based process is going to affect the work in some ways that are unrepeatable by other methods or under different conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007

dukeku posted:

Some sweet stuff on American Elegy from Charles Henry:

This is really cool. Doubly interesting to me because I lived in Amarillo until 2007. These pictures are essentially my earliest memories growing up.

I got out as soon as I could. The place is an economic and creative sinkhole in my mind. It's amazing to me to see anyone flourish there.

• Locked thread