Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I think what you're talking about is photographers capturing the voyeuristic tendency people have with celebrities - people would love to see a snapshot of Jessica Alba doing mundane poo poo like eat cereal. Just to see the celebrity stripped from all the trappings that accompany them everywhere else. It's that fantasy of seeing celebrities as they really are.

I would love to see a photographer satirize this trend and have well directed shots of Brad Pitt on the sofa eating KFC, or Megan Fox waiting for a bus.

I feel like the prevalence of invasive paparazzi and the willingness for modern celebrities to be a lot more open with their lives has ruined the intimacy that these behind the scenes celebrity snapshots had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Interrupting Moss posted:

I don't think that would be satire. It's the same thing. The photos are interesting only because of celebrity. Celebrity ACTORS no less, so it becomes even more difficult to ascertain any specific character quality.

Photos of celebrities, especially in "normal" situations, are the worst.

The satire would be that you would gussy up the "normal" picture with all the conventional set up that celebrity photo shoots entail. I do agree with you for the most part though. The attempts to show "real" celebrities are just mediocre at best and contrived at worst.

I like when photographers do try something different with celebrities - exactly like Platon did. It just seems that everyone is trying to do that recently, which devalues any attempt to capture the "real" celebrity.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

ZoCrowes posted:

One of my biggest interests is Underwater Photography and Norbert Wu just published some photos that he took of his diving in the Antarctic. I've taken some good shots with what I have but this just makes me just want to give it up because I doubt I will ever be this good

Incredible.

Underwater photography is the intersection of my two favorite hobbies, but I have no money to get started on it. I'm not sure I'd find either as fun if I did them at the same time.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

ZoCrowes posted:

I teach scuba diving for a living and if I'm not teaching and in the water I have a camera in my hand. I would kick myself if I ran across a whale shark or something like that and did not have my camera in my hands.

I'm terrified I'm going to end up holding my breath too long at 20m taking pictures of an awesome wreck :(

I think I might end up getting an S90 and the canon housing, because it seems stupid not to especially if I advance my diving anymore.

I remember your awesome battleship thread! It's a pity the scuba a/t died.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Fists Up posted:

Nah. James Nachtwey is

Seconded. With a lot of war/conflict photographers you can almost say "well, I could take something like that if I was in Iraq/Afghanistan/Somalia" but Nachtwey is a great photographer as well as a ballsy one.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

you should take this to the flickr thread. maybe the OP will update with it because its baller.

yeah, just make a thing for me to copy and paste and I'll put it in the OP of the flickr thread.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

East Lake posted:

I really love Nick Brandt, have both his books. Medium format B&W wildlife!

You can see more here, or look through all his shots on his website.

I was sure I had posted Nick Brandt in this thread but apparently not.

I love him. A girl I dated was set to do an internship with him but she turned it down to date a guy (not me)

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

East Lake posted:

:aaaaa:

That guy turn out to be the man of her dreams?

Also I have to ask since I'm a photography newbie but what kind of connections would you need to get in on an internship with a photographer like that?

No, he cheated on her. Which worked out conveniently for me but not for her.

I work right now for one of my favorite photographers ever and I basically got it by emailing her with how I could help her succeed more.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

General Gingersnap posted:

Eli Reed is pretty amazing, he is my photography professor too!

These are great but the child in me hopes that the kid in the foreground of the picture just randomly popped up into frame as he was taking the picture of the other kid.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

ZoCrowes posted:

Why do you hate fashion and fashion photography?

Fashion photography can be pretty hit or miss to be fair.

I was flicking through the latest Elle UK and the cover editorial was pretty mediocre. What made it worse is they spent two pages talking about how epic it was and how much went into flying out to Kate Hudson's villa and they ruined designer gowns by having her dive into a pool with them.

The actual editorial was four awkwardly framed pictures of a barely identifiable kate hudson in what might as well be a puddle.

However when fashion photography is at its best it really is exceptional. Like this -

NSFW:
http://www.sassisamblog.com/2010/08/10/abbey-lee-kershaw-vogue-italia-august/

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

ZoCrowes posted:

lovely photography is lovely photography. The same can be said for landscape, portraiture, street and so on and so forth.

This is the truth :( - I guess I've just been noticing more lovely fashion photography because that's what I'm focused on.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Great list - for content

I may be a little biased but I think Lara Jade's recent work is getting right up there and I wouldn't be surprised to see her in some mainstream fashion magazines within a year.

Paragon8 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 24, 2010

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Yes, homeless people have a culture. But presenting a member of that culture in a context saturated with $2,000 over-the-knee boots and $3000 suits is callous and a bit exploitative. Homeless people don't have the luxury of "searching harder" for clothing - in many cases they wear whatever they can get, and if you think that is a fashion statement then you are mistaken. I dont know, as someone who works in fashion, it rubs me the wrong way.

Maybe that's the point he's trying to carry. That at the end of the day a homeless person can present as much style as someone in 2000 dollar boots.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

oh ok

The difference is that a war photographer's, or any of the other kind you mentioned, (say Nachtwey) mission is to show the conflict to the outside world. Given literally every single other photo of his, I think it is safe to say that Schuman's mission is not to document the plight of the homeless. Im not saying he is a bad guy etc, thats just how I personally interpreted that one photo.

Alright, I am done hijacking the thread. Dont worry about coming across as a jerk, its a discussion, thats what happens with photography!

Sorry to continue the hijack, just wanted to follow up on a point. I feel that Schuman using homeless people in fashion photography gives them an identity beyond being homeless which makes him less exploitative than the huge amounts of photographers who do shoot the homeless purely because they're homeless.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

A5H posted:

What is good about this?

interacting horizontal and vertical lines give it a pleasing aesthetic.

It's not amazing but I can see the intent.

I wish we had more posts like this rather than "lol lovely facebook friend photographer" ones in the terrible photographer thread.

I think her first photograph would be infinitely stronger without the double exposure/layering gimmick.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Twenties Superstar posted:

Why?

You could argue that it has pretty sloppy composition. The horizontals aren't' level and the figure is framed awkwardly.

Of course you can say that this is the photograph's intent and I'm sure the photographer says that.

I can't help but feel for a lot of art photographers - they think of what the image's meaning is after taking it. A lot of them seem to challenge the viewer to say "well this is poo poo" just so someone can say "you don't understand it."

Don't get me wrong, in this particular case I don't hate it - it's got a pleasing aesthetic to it. I like geometry.

We really need a "what is art?" thread

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Twenties Superstar posted:

In pretty much any form of art some dead guy thousands of years ago figured out a bunch of rules that if followed your painting/choral arrangement/whatever is probably going to look or sound pretty good. Photography picked up a lot of these rules from painting and as a result it is, along with painting and music, still taught under the same guidelines because once you know how to make something that looks how you like it then you are pretty much free to do whatever you want whether it be following the rules or breaking them. In this particular photo you point out that the framing is awkward (something that you don't qualify at all) and that the horizontals aren't levelled. I guess I would ask you why that even matters. It's not the worlds most exciting image but I think what the photographer was going for (i.e. this looks pretty cool I'll take a photo of it (more on this later)) is pretty clearly expressed without having the horizontals levelled or with perfect framing (an idea that still perplexes me).

Photography is a unique medium in that you are essentially capturing what you see. The transformation from what is real to an image on a print or on canvas is not nearly as abstracted as it is in painting. As a result you can pretty much take a picture of anything that you run across. It is entirely possible that when this photo was taken the photographer had no idea what exactly about the scene was interesting but after it was printed it becomes extremely clear. Is it a failure on the part of the artist that they didn't know what affected them to take a photo before they took it? I would argue that it isn't because obviously something about the scene was interesting to them. In this case particularly I'm sure that the photographer new what was going on because the person in the photo was very deliberately placed in the frame and the distances from the garage door to the side of the frame is mostly uniform. It's possible that the photo was taken like that because "it looked right" but I don't really see how that informs a lack of intent. Finally the photo was was taken with an instant camera (and that it was scanned to show the borders, including time stamp). I would believe you if you said that whatever interactions the border holds with the frame were unintentional on part of the artist but I think that's it's a fallacy to suggest that the intent of the artist is relevant in a critical analysis of the formal elements of a work. When you are criticizing a work of art you are essentially recreating it in your mind. Each element becomes an abstraction based on your values. Northrop Frye argues in his essays Anatomy of Criticism (admittedly they are about literature but I think they are still relevant here) that the artists intent is only their personal criticism of the work. He uses Shakespeare as an example saying that the bards intent in his writing is completely unknown and it is only by people hundreds of years later "filling in the blanks" that we have come to a group consensus on what Shakespeare was about.

Returning to the original point I would say that one could argue that the fact that this is an instant photo implies a certain off-the-cuffness (corroborated by the time stamp, just a day in the life) and that the sloppy geometry of the image itself is contrasted to the perfect rectangle of the frame. Similarly, the dirty white and grey in the image is contrasted to the perfect whiteness of the border. Was this the original intent of the photographer? Maybe, but probably not. I don't think that it matters in the least because its a cool looking photo that shows something other than what you see every day browsing photo forums and flickr.

It would seem like based on what criticisms you might get online and from the general public that every photo needs to be something exciting (like a sunset over a vast plain or an attractive women or some gnarled old man or something) that looks great because it followed the rules or has some kind of historical relevance. Well I think that's a bad way to think. I see a lot of beauty in banality and feel that there is a lot that can be expressed by it. Most of life is banal and I think the best way to tap into capturing most of life is by tapping into that banality. I choose to do this primarily by taking photos that show the interaction between nature and humanity. Showing how people conform to what is natural and how nature conforms to and is moulded by people. Imaging the strange products and ironies of people in how they live and form the world around themselves is really interesting to me. Most people might see that and think that it's boring and bland because they see that stuff everyday but as a photograph it becomes an expression of the weird things in life that are just accepted as normal.

In my personal life I go to school to study geography which, in its current academic incarnation, is the study of the interactions between people and space. The way that how I think and my approach to photography is, I feel, deeply informed by my field of study.

No, I agree with you in that I like that particular photograph- I was just pointing out why someone might think it could be a terrible photograph.

I like some banal things but like I said it seems to me that some people use it as an excuse to wrap their work in a veneer of bullshit. I don't think that's the case with this particular photograph.

Photography for a vast majority of people is about accessibility - conveying scenes that people could otherwise never visit or conveying events or people they could never see first hand. That's why I think a lot of people get frustrated with art photography because there are a lot of people that lock it behind the gates of elitism.

banal stuff especially I think rubs people the wrong way because it just comes across as really low effort despite any explanation or qualification. I'd bet there are more than a few art students that ended up making up some complete bullshit about a photograph of a tea cup or mug they took the night before the assignment was due.

To contribute to this discussion and thread topic - I love this photographer and I think you will too.

http://www.noahkalina.com/

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

For what it's worth I'm not calling banality and such bullshit I'm just trying to put myself into the mindset of someone who is frustrated by people saying such and such is art when it's essentially just a photo of a bush.

I think what rubs PIMM and I the wrong way is that when people have the attitude that banality and types of fine art are superior somehow to "traditional" forms of photography.

I think this is an interesting conversation to have and I hope it doesn't devolve into a "this is bullshit" "you don't understand it" circle.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

poopinmymouth posted:

You are telling me you are absolutely befuddled at the idea some of us see (in others) a legitimacy enhancer whenever something was shot on film?

Yeah, there are a lot of dumb people that attach more legitimacy to a photo if it was shot on film or if it was straight out of camera etc.

Shall we move all this to a new thread?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Aidan_702 posted:

Just 'stumbled' across this guy:
http://jonaspeterson.com/wedding/mikey-felicity-wedding-melbourne/

Admittedly I've not seen too many good wedding photos but these absolutely blew me away and also now I want to give up and kill myself

He isn't even that great compared to the upper four figure tier. Check out Jose Villa for amazing wedding photography

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

poopinmymouth posted:

So much intense cheese, but the production value is still incredible. Some interesting meta aspects too.

http://www.chanel.com/de_DE/parfum-schonheit/Universe-Coco-Mademoiselle-122461

I want that studio space

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Stumbled across this photographer's self-portrait series when I was perusing featured examples on 4ormat. Her other work is also very good.

Well, I'm glad she finally took me off her website. I used to assist her last year.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Really? Everything is working fine for me (Safari/OS X).

...no good?

Oh, she was fine - we were just in different cities and she'd planned to move where I was but ended up not moving. So I ended up assisting another photographer!

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

rear end is my canvas posted:

http://fromme-toyou.tumblr.com/tagged/cinemagraph/page/1

tee hee

As twee as most of those are that kind of thing is going to absolutely explode in the weddings/engagement type markets.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Reichstag posted:

really enjoy some of the photos in this series: http://austingranger.com/astoria

god I really want to see all of those printed huuuuuuuge

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

b0nes posted:

I am not sure if he has been posted before, but I like TJ Scotts photos.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tj_scott/sets/72157605672626680/

atomic vagina

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

:raise:

The sun is framed where her genitals are. The sun is comprised of atomic fusion..

It's well taken but the concept/subject just are a bit off

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Demon_Corsair posted:

Stare at it too long or not wear sunglasses and you will damage your eyes?

Pretty much

e, oh god his wide angle picture of a model dressed as a griever in a mausoleum is pretty awkward. barrel distortion on people's grave slots. Lovely

Paragon8 fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 1, 2011

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Also kind of frustrating that sports riots are getting more coverage than the riots in Greece which are about something a touch more serious.

Although there have been so many riots there recently photojournos probably have all the coverage they need.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Alex is a super nice dude as well. I'm glad he's hitting big, I've been sort of following him from the start.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Thoogsby posted:

Any idea what his setup is like for the two shots you posted? I can't even begin to think about how I would go about doing that.

He does quite a bit in photoshop probably a lot of comping in different poses from different frames. I mean I don't know him super well, just close enough to be Facebook friends haha.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

The funny thing about him is that I used to do correspondence for a photographer that I was interning/assisting for and he emailed her asking for tips, and as she instructed I just gave him some generic advice as her -and a few months later he's absolutely blowing the poo poo out of everything.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

It's interesting because he's part of a sort of new vanguard of flickr superstars coming out of America when it sort of seemed to be mostly young British teens (Rosie Hardy etc.)

Someone he's worked with and is similar to style to him is Karrah Kobus - http://www.flickr.com/photos/karrah_kobus/

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I don't mean to make any waves, but as creative and technically good as those photos are, I still think 365s are very, very lame. I mean, shouldn't your subject be something a little bit more foreign and interesting than your own self?

I think that's what is pretty interesting about them is because for self portrait heavy people they're using themselves as a blank canvas and figuring out interesting and creative ways to make that compelling.

A lot of creativity to me comes from restriction and trying to get around that. Karrah and Alex are both youngish kids in I think the rural south and midwest respectively. All they really have access to is themselves and I think they're doing a drat good job of maximising what they have and producing great work within their limitations.

The thing that drives me nuts about it is how they all seem to love square crops.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

A5H posted:

Because large format.

They aren't shooting large format though, cropping in post. Unless you mean they're subconsciously trying to emulate that

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

decarboxylated posted:

ding ding

Silently biding your time to get in some kind of burn somewhere?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

A5H posted:

Yeah. I do it quite often.
For certain applications it has an excellent aesthetic.

Oh I agree, I just tend to be a bit of a sperg with trying to preserve in camera aspect ratios. I think square is a pretty good aspect for web images though - especially on sites like flickr. I might experiment around with it more.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Reichstag posted:

Some of those photos are alright but there is something I find fundamentally problematic with the concept of the 'flickr-star;' they are instantly recognizable as Flickr Photographers. I think this homogeneity is one of my main problems with the propagation of social media as the avenue of choice for young photographers.
The 365 project is exemplary of this, as it functions primarily as a platform for instant interaction with a fickle and cursory audience. Instead of encouraging contemplation and development it encourages photographers to produce that which gets immediate results in the form of views/favs/comments. This is especially bad in my mind as the social order of flickr/deviantart/most photo forums is to actively discourage criticism. This leaves non-viewing as essentially the only accepted form of dissent. Further, the effect of 'views' as not only a primary motivational factor but a major contributer to popularity and 'discovery' within the social media sphere encourages a flash-recognition mode of photography-reading (ie: people tend to notice and therefore view thumbnails which are composed of bright colors, contrasts, easily cropped to square and seen small, etc.), which in turn seems to lead to increasingly similar work. It's a form of 'individualistic' genericism where stylistic and thematic similarity is writ-large (see the overwhelming popularity of not only self-portrait but specifically sexualized-skinny-white-teen portraiture).

Some better (but not entirely overlapping and not perfect) writing on the subject is in La Pura Vida photo magazine.

This may not be the best thread for this discussion, but I'm not sure where else to have it.

I think this is a great discussion to have and you should start a new thread for it. I think the square crop being better as a thumbnail is a really interesting point.

I have huge problems with the nature of flickr and the flickr superstar. You're absolutely right how flickr's "culture" discourages criticism by promoting insular chains and groups of individuals sharing a style or gimmick like 365.

The overabundance of skinny white teen self portraiture I think is just down to that group being the most comfortable photographing themselves and begin able to afford photography as a hobby at a young age (of course that there's a huge group of creepy flickr users who borderline groom young photographers by buying them flickr pro etc.)

All that said I don't think you can take too much away from the individual accomplishments and talents of young photographers like Stoddard and Kobus. It's not their fault the system is "broken" and they happen to succeed at it.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

TomR posted:

Thanks a lot. Now I've gone and ordered his book. I hope you're happy.

Haha, I contacted his gallery once about buying a print before I knew that art prints were really expensive. The curator tried really hard to sell me a 5000 pound print and I had to tell her I was a 19 year old student at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Sevn posted:

I am loving this lady's work.

the world above by brookeshaden, on Flickr

the wicked dreamers by brookeshaden, on Flickr

Brooke is the nicest person! I got to meet her when she was in London, like you would not expect work so dark to come out of someone as bubbly as she is. If you have an opportunity to go to one of her workshops definitely do it.

• Locked thread