Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Fbi2thegrave posted:

why would you ever have that policy in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Mannequin posted:

What's awesome about Schoeller is he uses a custom-built large format camera that has been converted into something he can sling over his shoulder and carry with him. Hence the incredible detail, shallow depth of his portraits.

http://www.popphoto.com/Features/How-to/Build-Your-Own-4x5-Point-and-Shoot
http://www.kippwettstein.com/camera/cameraproject.htm

Those 4x5 point-and-shoots are semi-popular (for a custom-made large format camera), mostly paired with something like a 90mm Super-Angulon. I don't know that I've seen an 8x10 before though.

I was thinking of building my own 4x5 or 8x10 TLR eventually but apparently I've been beaten.

edit: my other idea is an ultra large format camera disguised to look like a hot dog cart, perfect for street photography. A bit like that camera-van guy that a Dorkroom goon interviewed not too long ago.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 9, 2009

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

spog posted:

Is that first one a composite?

If it's Leibovitz, it almost definitely is.

This one grabbed me the first time I saw it, then again when it was on that 3-parter "best photos of 2009" linked previously. It's from a serious of photos shot along the North Korean/Chinese border with a telephoto (and extension tubes, I think).

Click here for the full 990x630 image.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Among many things wrong in the world, I was born too late to ever get the chance to shoot with 4x5 Kodachrome :qq:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Why did you have to point this out?! It actually makes me feel like tears are welling up in my eyes knowing that Kodachrome is dead. Especially since I just got into photography half a year ago and really want to start shooting film.

Last week I came across a couple rolls of K64 in 120 on eBay and got kinda excited (expired in the mid nineties, but I shot some non-refrigerated K25 a few years ago that came out alright). After some Googling I realized it would be impossible to get it processed anywhere; Dwayne's can only accommodate 35mm Kodachrome :smith:

You can still shoot 35mm for the rest of the year, at least. I just got two rolls back, have two more in the fridge.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Arinel posted:

That's absolutely beautiful. I hope I wont sound noobish when I ask this, but who made it?

Like Helmacron said, the pic is also a link back to the photographer's Flickr. It's just "some guy" though (I found it through his post on Large Format Photography forum), nobody famous or anything.

One thing I noticed posting it that I didn't before is that the front rail/bed of his camera is visible at the bottom of the frame (the blurry thing), which is a bit of a noobish mistake itself. I wonder if he thought cropping it out would mess up his composition too much.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

brad industry posted:

Seeing poo poo like that on the ground glass is hard in the dark.

I hate it when good Flickr users don't have a portfolio. I don't want to look through their stream - I want the edited and thoughtfully sequenced version. Flickr is such a terrible way to look at multiple images.

It is, but the guy who wrote the LF landscape book I was reading recently says his method is to lock the front standard to the front of the rail and do all adjustments/movements with the rear. He only touches the front if he has to.

FlickrRiver helps make Flickr browsing more palatable (and you can sort by "most interesting"), although I get what you mean.

Came across this on someone's 8x10 "take a portrait of a different stranger every day" project blog.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

spog posted:

I really like this one, but then I am a sucker for clean lines. They have their own elegant beauty and the subdued colours add to it

I don't like this one. The loungers clutter up the image and your eye fluctuates between two different points of interest (them and the girl)

If the photographer was aiming to capture an emotion, he should have just included the girl and the pool, so we concentrated on her and thus were more likely to empathise with her.

It's too messy to convey anything

Worst of all, I can't see her rear end.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Spedman posted:

The more I've gotten into photography the more I dislike this kind of work. I think its maybe the self indulgence, I don't know, or I'm getting older and young people are starting to poo poo me. :corsair:

I'm generally the same way (even with older people who do it, I've gone through a few such books [picked up by accident when pulling books at random from library shelves]), but I thought the photos from the series linked were actually pretty good.

I don't have the theoretical background to defend my stance on disliking most self-portrait series, it's just a gut reaction not really rooted in aesthetics.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Found randomly on Flickr, felt need to share:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Oh wow, this is loving great.

No one too famous but I've been watching this guy on flickr who shoots a lot of asian city landscapes, but he uses 8x10 Ektachrome 100 and the results are just awesome.

Really these are just raw drum scans, but there's so much detail there I can just stare for hours.

Seoul #15 prescan by Thomas Birke, on Flickr

Hong Kong #91 -drumscan by Thomas Birke, on Flickr

Hong Kong #62-#63 -drumscan by Thomas Birke, on Flickr

Oh how I long to shoot 8x10 :sigh:

Also for fun download the full size and practice curve color correction in Photoshop ;)

Yeah, I like his stuff as well. I had an 8x10 Toyo monorail I kind of bought on accident for a while, but lenses + film holders + film just didn't seem economical for me at the time, nor did lugging that thing around seem practical. I sold it to fund an NEX (which I've been using a ton), but I've got my eyes permanently peeled for a Gowland 8x10.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Yeah tell me about it. Is there any chance that someone else will pick up production of his camera's now that he's gone or will they just kind of fade into obscurity? A monorail camera that weighs less than 10 pounds is really not something that should stop being made.

I suppose it's up to his widow. I think I remember someone on LFF saying that towards the end of his life he was looking for someone interested in purchasing/taking over the business, but I don't think anything was finalized before he passed away.

TomR posted:

I work in a metal fabricating shop. I'll make one if someone want's to help with the design. I've never seen a large format back in person. Everything about the camera looks really simple though.

How much do you think it would run?

It's fairly basic in construction and the only really fiddly bit, the 8x10 back, can be purchased separately (same with a bellows). I've got the 4x5 version, which could serve as a good template/starting point. You'd also need a rack and pinion assembly for the focusing rail.

edit: Looking on his site, the 8x10 Lite (rather than the older 10x10 version) uses an 8x10 bellows and 8x10 back (probably custom), rather than the larger, more easy to rotate 10x10 backs and square 10x10 bellows like on my old Toyo. Dunno if a 10x10 Gowland would be worth it for me; at 9 pounds I'd probably pick up a wooden field camera instead :-\ You could try e-mailing and ask his widow if she has any spares for sale, although IIRC the new cameras went for about $1600.

Still, if someone else is interested in having you make one, I'd be happy to take as detailed pics as you want of the 4x5, and try to provide measurements.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

TomR posted:

The cost would depend on how many I make. There looks to be almost no material in the camera, so raw cost would be very low. I can have the standards and most of the other parts cut by laser, so if I make a pile of them it would be very cheap.

I just need to know where to get a bellows and I'm not sure about making a back, but if that's not too complicated it's doable as well. Send me as many detailed photos of the construction of everything and how the parts attach to each other.

I'll start a thread and we can get some brainstorming going on if there is enough interest.

There's a company in the UK that does custom bellows (used to be one local to me in the US, but I think they closed up shop), although it's not cheap IIRC. Might be like $200-250 at least for 8x10, although if you were ordering more than one it might get cheaper. Not sure about the back either, although searching flickr for "gowland 8x10" I found one or two semi-good pictures of it.

Let's move it to the large/medium format thread for now.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Found while cruisin' Wikipedia for info on wet-plate:

"A Veteran and His Wife", 1860's

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

http://www.thiaps.com/2011/01/marina-romanova.html

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Mugshots of Australian criminals (heh) from the 1920's. Mugshots are a lost art IMO:

Dude on the left is now a prominent figure in my nightmares. Mostly the eyes.

Click here for the full 627x325 image.

:smith:

Click here for the full 723x686 image.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Aww crap, I meant to put the link in the post but forgot!

http://www.laboiteverte.fr/portraits-de-criminels-australiens-dans-les-annees-1920/

At my university library I found a whole book of mugshots from San Francisco around the same time period, if I can find it again I'll scan some of the cooler ones.

scottch posted:

Yes especially the mugshots of Matt Damon and Maeby Fünke??

But yes, those are really very nice. More please!

Lol, I saw a resemblance so I put the celebrity pic under them. The Matt Damon one is a bit of a stretch, but that was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw it.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Cannister posted:

He's got a really great "stranger" series on his flickr stream. Username's Benoit.P I believe. As far as I can tell the dude just goes to random people on the street or knocks on their door, tells them he wants to take their portrait and then they let him. It's very neat.

Ah: here's the link.

Awesome. For easier viewing: Flickrriver

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Stumbled across this photographer's self-portrait series when I was perusing featured examples on 4ormat. Her other work is also very good.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

None of the photos will load for me. In fact, no photos on any 4ormat site will. Guess I won't be going with them for my site redesign...

Really? Everything is working fine for me (Safari/OS X).

Paragon8 posted:

Well, I'm glad she finally took me off her website. I used to assist her last year.

...no good?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Oh Horizon 202 :allears:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

A5H posted:

Because large format.

A bit late, but medium format :eng101:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

It's being hammered right now because of Reddit, but this is a great set of 4x5 Kodachromes from WW2. I've been really enjoying WW2 era photos lately, and these are fantastic.

http://pavelkosenko.wordpress.com/2012/03/28/4x5-kodachromes/

Older post, but yeah, this is one of my all-time favorite portraits.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

8th-samurai posted:

Look at this loving photo. It owns.

The green hurts my eyes in a good way.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I was listening to a back episode of a comedy podcast while doing some cleaning, and one of the things they were ridiculing was the inanity of the posters on the apparently-thriving message board of JeffBridges.com, which is as you might suspect, the personal website of actor Jeff Bridges. I mosied over to see if said message board was still up (it is), and also checked out his photos section, which is pretty drat cool. Mostly shot with a Widelux, provides some interesting and intimate looks at life on set.

JeffBridges.com Photography

Kinda off topic, but I'll take pretty much every opportunity I can to introduce people to said comedy podcast. These aren't from the episode I was listening to, but are a good introduction:
Craigslist Dad
Hey Dad You Killed Mom Again
Pedophile House Party

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Axel Serenity posted:

He did a talk at our museum a few years ago and he basically owns. Also, please go see his stuff in person if you can. loving giant levels of detail oh god I'm walking into a photograph

http://www.annenbergspaceforphotography.org/events/iris-nights/extreme-exposure/67

He's quite well-known, at least down here in Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

I saw this image in a BBC documentary (World War 1's Forgotten Photographs), taken by a 17 year old German soldier. The documentary itself is very interesting and pro-watch (full version available on Youtube at that link).

• Locked thread