Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

brad industry posted:

This stuff by Antony Crossfield rules

^ good on so many levels jesus

http://www.antonycrossfield.com/

NYC goons should go check it out:

If it means anything to you, I can see his influence on your photos.

EDIT: Oh god, a day after this post and I realized I confused this thread with the Photo Inspiration thread

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 23, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Fart Car '97 posted:

Joey Lawrence owns because he just dropped a bunch of (trust fund money, afaik) cash on gear, and decided "i want to be a photographer," went out, taught himself photographer and traveled the world taking pictures.

Now he's destined to be one of the all time greats.

Joey Lawrence makes me absolutely jealous, he's only three years older than me and is already really successful.

Carl De Keyzer is one my favourite photographers. He's a Belgian member of Magnum and is one of the photographers in the Belgian scene. He recently published a book on Congo and the remnants of the Belgian Colonial buildings there. I'm involved in a similar project and I'll be having an audience with him in february where he will evaluate my pictures. *glee*

Click here for the full 1280x421 image.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
Oh god the dynamic range. :supaburn: Is that something you'd only get with film?

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 16, 2010

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
Quote =! Edit

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

General Gingersnap posted:

Apologies, misread the tone then!

I really enjoy looking through VII, a lot of really great photo stoires. James Nachtwey founded it, so the bar is set pretty high.

Donald Weber is a VII shooter, covered Russian police interrogations

http://www.viiphoto.com/showstory.php?nID=1180

This isn't getting enough love. It's a short series with a simple premise but that last picture made my stomach churn. The range of emotions displayed is amazing.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

Photographer Eric Draper

This picture was in a newspaper yesterday. I spent 10 minutes typing a post explaining why I liked this picture but I closed the window. :( So quickly said, I love how there are so many elements that build up the image instead of cluttering it.

It almost feels like the set-up of a play. The horrid sterile classroom. The man pointing at the TV which gives the picture's context. The stiff men in suits on the left. The American flag in the corner. Bush on the phone, facing away from the television and the images of New York.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

I HATE CARS posted:

Please go back and read (at the very least) the first 5 pages of this thread and you'll find your question has been answered.

Thanks for making me go reread the whole thread, it was nice to see everything again.

Frinkahedron posted:

I've always liked Annie Leibovitz's portraits of the Bush administration that she did for Vanity Fair's An Oral History of the Bush White House

Sorry for dredging up an old post but I wanted to add something about this picture.

This shoot was talked about in Leibovitz' book At Work. Apparently lots of things went wrong. First of all they worked (for 2 days!) on a lighting set up for six people, but Andrew Card was asked to be in the picture as well and you can't really say no to the PotUS, can you?

The picture isn't exactly a composite, but it is two medium format shots stitched together, which she does because she doesn't like the square format of her RZ67.

In the end, the photo was trimmed a bit, which explains why Powell looks rather cramped on the side there.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

Twenties Superstar posted:

I'm sure there are people out there who would (wrongly) say that a photo taken with film is inherently better than a digital one but I don't really see what that has to do with this discussion whatsoever.

edit:
Peter Granser is a photographer who takes really good pictures

And thank you for letting me segue into a photographer who I've been reading about the past evening, Andreas Gursky. A similar landscape photographer but he incorporates the people in such a striking manner, especially in the first three minutes of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TWtlhApag0

EDIT: Actually, on second thought, not really similar but any excuse to post that video.

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 7, 2011

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
I forgot Gursky was the reason behind the first "Is that art?" derail on page 2 of this thread. I think I just completed the thread's cycle.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
Time for something unconventional. We saw a lot of autobiographical photographers in class today, but one made a huge impression on me. Richard Billingham's documents his family in Ray's A Laugh. His father is an alcoholic, his mother addicted to cigarettes and keeps tons of pets and his brother is a substance abuser.

Originally meant to be used as material for his paintings, Billingham didn't care much for the photographic quality of his pictures. Using a simple 35mm camera, using the cheapest stores for developing, the series has a rather 'family snapshot' feeling to it. The pictures feel like they could fit in a family album if it weren't for the content.

To me, it feels like a tragicomedy at times. We see the impoverish conditions in which they live and how they try to escape it. Meanwhile, we can see the affection in the family as well as the fights.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
Michael Wolf seems to use Google Street View during his free time, as he has almost 5 projects dedicated to it. It's an interesting concept though. It's a slight twist to street photography, only a picture has been taken of a whole city and it's up to you to find the interesting events.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
I blame the Dusseldorf School of Photography and Stephen Shore for that aesthetic. That said, I absolutely love that style but I can understand that it might feel a bit repetitive.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
My teacher Nick Hannes was interviewed by VICE on his Mediterranean series. Slightly :nws: for a picture of a showgirl wearing pasties. Now I have to show him my pictures Friday... :ohdear:

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
Lynne Cohen

Michael Wolf

This image I found in the Identify strange things on Google Maps thread

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
Frederik Buyckx, who's studying his Masters at my school*, got an honorable mention in this year's World Press Photo. On one hand, it makes me proud to be studying in the same institution as him. On the other, it makes me wonder whether I'll be even as good.

http://www.worldpressphoto.org/awards/2013/daily-life/frederik-buyckx?gallery=6096&photographer=6971

*Or graduated, don't know actually but I did see him at school today so I dunno.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

Santa is strapped posted:

These are pretty great.

Except for the editing of her hair in this one :laugh:

I'll go ahead and blame our Photoshop teacher.

drat you Sven. :argh:

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

Another from Frederik Buyckx. At first I thought it was a picture of a gallery.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

Reichstag posted:

I tried to pick one or two to share but couldn't. Just trust me and click this link: http://www.alexandergronsky.com/#/portfolio/works/pastoral/

That series is more Breugel than Breugel himself.
Another stroke of genius, it seems like there's a very subtle transition. It's especially clear in the thumbs. You first have the huge apartment blocks but it begins to transform into pure nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

ansel autisms posted:

Some more cliquish garbage from Robert Adams, who has only been admired because of his fantastic ability to take poo poo photos for idiots:

All from the series A Question of Hope.

I just saw the Robert Adams and Cartier-Bresson retrospectives in Paris yesterday in Jeu De Paume and Centre Pompidou respectively. I learned that I really really hate retrospectives. I came out feeling like I knew less about the photographer then before. Adams in particular was hard to understand. He's a ridiculously prolific photographer so if you only know him from his work with the New Topographics, you're going to absolutely be lost.
I picked up this book at Jeu De Paume so I hope I won't be that lost anymore.

• Locked thread