Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

I really love Nick Brandt, have both his books. Medium format B&W wildlife!

You can see more here, or look through all his shots on his website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

:aaaaa:

That guy turn out to be the man of her dreams?

Also I have to ask since I'm a photography newbie but what kind of connections would you need to get in on an internship with a photographer like that?

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

I admit I'm still surprised but at the same time it seems like something that would work since it's so deceptively straightforward, aside from constructing the email itself.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Timage posted:

These are fantastic. Is it the film that gives it that almost-sepia/slight brown-red tinge or is this something I can do with digital?
I know he has mentioned that he does curve adjustments in photoshop, or something like that. Not sure if the sepia look is done digitally or through some darkroom process, I'll try to find out though.

East Lake fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 25, 2010

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Picked up a book called The Sea by Philip Plisson, found it in the nature section of the barnes and noble near me. Really liked the aerial shots of the open water.

Has pictures of boats, open water, lighthouses and lots of other sea related stuff, the detail is incredible in the book.

Here's some low quality pics I found online.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Been digging through the Edward S. Curtis photos at the Library of Congress website.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

From the nytimes site, not sure who took it but I'm sure he/she is glad they did!

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Gonna start posting in here more often. This is from a book called Subway by Bruce Davidson.

Edit: Here's a larger gallery, click the little rosegallery sign.

East Lake fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 26, 2011

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

spf3million posted:

These are amazing. Why does the book have to cost $300 :argh:
Terrible isn't it? Who knows if there'll be a reprint.

Michael Kenna

michaelkenna.net

East Lake fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 28, 2011

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Most of it is from a Hasselblad, 35mm occasionally mixed in.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Thanks for the heads up Ric!

@ Spedman - Not sure if it's the cheapest place but photo-eye has it.

Edit: Long exposure, IN SPACE.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap110602.html

East Lake fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 5, 2011

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

A few from Lewis Hine.

^16 Year old living off the dump.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

New Nick Brandt photos.

More here.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

TomR posted:

Thanks a lot. Now I've gone and ordered his book. I hope you're happy.
:hfive:
You get this one? It's a combo of his first two with larger/better prints.

Hopefully a few years down the road I could afford one his his prints.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

I just checked out my university's photography section of the library. The have some really cool old stuff there like old books of daguerreotypes and whatnot, along with books from more well known guys like Eggleston/Walker Evans. Probably take a while to look through it all.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Civil War photos on the Atlantic. A few are :nms:.

The Places

The People

Stereographs

Most of it is from the LOC.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Yeah I'm not sure how he develops them or anything but some of his exposures are super long. There's a video on him out there that just shows him hanging out/sleeping in his car in the middle of the night while the shutter is open.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Haha, ok? Just saying, it's good work, just that that style has been done a million times over. The look and feel of the photos just seems unoriginal to me because of what I've seen a lot of. No need to get hostile.
....I kind of agree honestly, but I don't think "originality" is what really bothers me. We all take ideas from people. Anyway the more I see that style the more I get tired of it. Everything's perfectly arranged and so clinical that it can suck the life out of the image. I feel like I'm looking at a diagram of how to take photos. This is how you shoot buildings, put this line there and that one there. Where can I see something I didn't expect?

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Here's some portraits from the newly scanned Gemini photos.

Rest of the stuff is here in hi-res. http://tothemoon.ser.asu.edu/

Lots of shots of the spacecraft/earth.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

I think I posted Lewis Hine in here already but I've been reading his notes that go with the photos in the LOC site.

quote:

Preston De Costa, fifteen year old messenger #3 for Bellevue Messenger Service. I ran across him and took photos while he was carrying notes back and forth between a prostitute in jail and a pimp in the Red Light district. He had read all the notes and knew all about the correspondence. He was a fine grained adolescent boy. Has been delivering message and drugs in the Red Light for six months and knows the ropes thoroughly. "A lot of these girls are my regular customers. I carry 'em messages and get 'em drinks, drugs, etc. Also go to the bank with money for them. If a fellow treats 'em right, they'll call him by number and give him all their work. I got a box full of photos I took of these girls - some of 'em I took in their room." Works until 11:00 P.M. Location: San Antonio, Texas.

quote:

Harry McShane - 134 B'way [I,e, Broadway] -Cin. O. - 16 yrs. of age on June 29, 1908. Had his left arm pulled off near shoulder, and right leg broken through kneecap, by being caught on belt of a machine in Spring factory in May 1908. Had been working in factory more than 2 yrs. Was on his feet for first time after the accident, the day this photo was taken. No attention was paid by employers to the boy either at hospital or home according to statement of boy's father. No com- pensation. Location: Cincinnati, Ohio.

quote:

Mrs. Dora Stainers, 562 1/2 Decatur St. 39 years old. Began spinning in an Atlanta mill at 7 years, and is in this mill work for 32 years. Only 4 days of schooling in her life. Began at 20 cents a day. The most she ever made was $1.75 a day & now she is earning $1 a day when she works. She is looking for a job. Her little girl Lilie is the same age she was when she started work, but the mother says, "I ain't goin to put her to work if I can help it. I'm goin' to give her as much education as I can so she can do better than I did." Mrs. Stainers is a woman of exceptional ability considering her training. In contrast to her is formed [?] another woman (this name was withheld) who has been working in Atlanta mills for 10 yrs. She began at 10 yrs. of age, married at 12, broke down, and may never be able to work again. Her mother went to work in the cotton mill very young. Location: Atlanta, Georgia.

quote:

Katie Kuritzko, 7-year-old oyster shucker. Has mumps now. Her 8-year-old brother also shucks. Location: Dunbar, Louisiana.

quote:

Housing conditions in the settlement of Dunbar. They are better than the average. See church in distance. Have their own jail. Houses and wood furnished. Location: Dunbar, Louisiana.

quote:

Maple Mills, Dillon, S.C. Johnnie. Said, "Aint got no last name," when asked for it. 8 years old. Beginning to "help sister spin." Location: Dillon, South Carolina.

quote:

Maple Mills, Dillon, S.C. Soarbar Seris, has worked off and on in the mill for 5 years. Winds. Gets 70 cents and up. "Recon I'm about 14." Didn't look it. Has worked more nights than day time. Location: Dillon, South Carolina.

quote:

Holland Mfg. Co., Gastonia, N.C. 8:00 P.M. Mill running nights. Location: Gastonia, North Carolina

quote:

Joseph and Rosy, 10 and 8 yrs. old. He sells until evening. She is one of 5 or 6 girls who sell (afternoons) in Newark. Location: Newark, New Jersey

quote:

Shaw Cotton Mills. An accident case. Alfred Padgett a doffer says he is 13 years old now, but worked when he was 12, and in other mills for 2 years before that. "I got my hand caught in the cogs of the spinning machine last week, and lost part of my finger. It stopped the machine, and I tell you it hurt. It pains me a lot now. Don't you think they orter pat me wages while I'm out with this bad hand? No, I can't read or write, but I think my mammy knows how to spell my name." Not a member of the family could read or write. Location: Weldon, North Carolina.

quote:

Some results of messenger and newsboy work. For nine years this sixteen year old boy has been newsboy and messenger for drug stores and telegraph companies. He was recently brought before the Judge of the Juvenile Court for incorrigibility at home. Is now out on parole, and was working again for drug company when he got a job carrying grips in the Union Depot. He is on the job from 6:00 A.M. to 11:00 P.M. (seventeen hours a day) for seven days in the week. His mother and the judge think he uses cocaine, and yet they let him put in these long hours every day. He told me "There ain't a house in 'The Acre' (Red Light) that I ain't been in. At the drug store, all my deliveries were down there." Says he makes from $15.00 to $18.00 a week. Eugene Dalton. Location: Fort Worth, Texas.

quote:

The first day at school - one of the Pocahontas Co. rural schools. Location: Pocahontas County, West Virginia

Edit; Bonus portrait that I found. Just really love everything about this shot.

East Lake fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Sep 27, 2012

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

dukeku posted:

Bottom Liner, can I read a statement about your art? I'd like to hear something written by someone free of pretention.
Is that a requirement now? Before criticism, submit own work to be vetted by the esteemed scholars of dorkroom.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Do you mean the VICE doc was sort of a narrow window into afghanistan or did you like the doc and thought other journalism/photography wasn't giving the subject its due?

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Why is infrared rendered in pink?

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Nick Brandt's new pictures and book are out. http://www.nickbrandt.com/portfolio.cfm?nK=16811&nS=0&nL=1

They even have his pics up on huff post so some of you might have seen it around the web already.

I still like his pictures but I have The End of the Game by Peter Beard and I thought that format for this type of thing was a lot better. The historical approach was great even though he completely torpedoed it at the end with a badly supported hypothesis. But it was nice to have something more than the animals are dying ain't that a shame setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Whether it's a square cropped girl with her head on the ground and her feet in the air or a ham sandwich on a toilet seat, you're probably better off moving on to the next gallery.

• Locked thread