Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

Fart Car '97 posted:

Eros Hoagland is the best working conflict photographer in the world

Im still a massive James Nachtwey fanboy, think hes slowing down with his conflict stuff now though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

Mannequin posted:

Benoit Paillé is doing more good work these days. Lately, I have been watching his candid portrait series:

brad industry posted:

This guy has so much awesome stuff on his site it's taken me 2 days to go through it all

http://www.luissanchis.com

Really good stuff, more ideas to steal..I mean take inspiration from.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

orange lime posted:

This is way too much contrast for a girl with freckles.

I get the feeling he was trying to accentuate the freckles, looks good to me.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

TomR posted:

Think of it like the most complicated and technically challenging music you've ever heard performed as well as anyone can, just you don't like the song. That's how I feel about it anyway.

I wouldn't say those photos or the photographer are anywhere near as good as a Chopin ballade, but I see where your coming from.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

Moist von Lipwig posted:

I'm guessing he shoots film, correct?

I could be wrong, but the last one looks digital with heavy editing.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

Lachlan Bailey does some pretty amazing stuff. His colour stuff is wonderful.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

One of my all time favorite websites/series of photos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

I dont think you are ever going to be able to fully seperate photography and explotation, at least photography in a documentary/journalistic form. The only thing you can do is to try and eleviate it as much as possible.

Alot of the criticism aimed at Diane Arbus I dont really get, the people she photographed were marginal people, alot of them were freakish and most of them are strange and unusual. That might be an ignorant and harsh way to describe a set of people, and you could substitue the description but ultimately in the face of society and the norm thats what they were.

It is an interesting discussion, and there is definitely a line that can be crossed.

• Locked thread