Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

brad industry posted:

^ good on so many levels jesus

has anyone seen a print of this up close? I'd really like a better look of the back of the lcd screen on the womans point and shoot in the corner, is it a replica of the scene in front of her from her angle, or is it a snapshot of how horses actually gallop in real life and not how they float through the air? this image rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I watched the behind the scenes videos for the in flight shots. watching them fly back and forth in this room past a seamless is pretty boss. Im amazed at how sharp they come out.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I cant find the images on the web so go here http://www.makiphoto.com/ then navigate:

Portfolios >> comic makirama >> #18-21.

Its just so wild that it makes me want to think about crazy uses of color. I love how it has a 2D look to it, i like seeing these alternatives to extreme depth of field and thinking that you dont always have to create a three dimensional space.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
If we assume that photography is visual communication, then it shouldn't matter that celebrities make better subjects. They are inherently interesting subjects because of their fame and exposure. As a photographer you can choose to put them in any setting or clothing you want as long as it creates the message you are going for.

We shouldn't discount the photograph simply because there is a celebrity in it. Think of a corollary in landscape photography, do you automatically hate a well lit tree line on a lake because the sun is just rising?

Personally, if I find myself thinking things like: "I could do better, that picture is boring" or "If I took pictures of Brad Pitt, of course my photo would be famous" then its a reflection of my shortcomings and apprehension. I say these things to make myself feel better, and I want to steep away from that kind of thinking and just work on my images. I think we all look for excuses for validation. If you could fill galleries taking pictures of wires and trees and Tom Hanks shaving in the morning, would you? And what is stopping you?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

brad industry posted:

The Whitney 2010 Biennial was just announced and one of four photographers in it is Josh Brand who I'm a pretty big fan of. He doesn't use a camera, and instead just paints directly with light onto photo paper in a darkroom.

these are still too abstract for me to understand. Where does the color come from?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
oh good point, for some reason i just automatically think of black and white when I see 'darkroom'. im just not creative at all

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
So I got a book on Edward Steichen from the library called 'Edward Steichen: Lives in Photography' and theres one part that blows my mind. Steichen was commissioned by the Stehli Silk Corporation to create patterns for them. He took common objects and lit them all crazy and shot them from above to create really cool shadows and shapes, totally abstracted it. Can't find many of them on the web, but in the book they look amazing.

These are matches and matchboxes. He also did the same thing with sugar cubes, moth balls, and glases. So freaking cool.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

less_than_one posted:

postcards

I'm confused.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

I HATE CARS posted:

What browser? And what happens if you replace the space with %20 ?

EDIT: Sorry for derailing this thread Brad, I didn't think people would be that interested in it. Would you prefer I made a new thread for it?

you should take this to the flickr thread. maybe the OP will update with it because its baller.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Regression posted:

Does anyone mind extrapolating on why that image is good? I'm not really that experienced a photographer; is lining lamp posts up against buildings that great?

I think it was kind of talked about in the art thread, and this is advice I've heard a couple times from all over, but you have to look at a ton of images. Look at stuff from all time periods across all subject matter. After some study you start to just kind of appreciate it differently.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

https://www.dansaelinger.com

I like this guys stuff. I've seen a couple of his images show up in the magazines I read. I've started to pay attention to photo credits a lot now. I'm trying to figure out how to do more photo illustration.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Moist von Lipwig posted:

These are really good but the topaz adjust look is bothering me a little bit.

It's a shame actually, because I looked at the site and all his stuff is really good.

The sharpening style didn't really bother me here because of the strength of the concept and execution. I think it overcomes the nitpicks. When I try to add some wacky editing to my photos they still just suck because its a bad photo to begin with.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
We can't have this thread hit the second page.

I really wish I could see larger prints of this guys stuff. https://www.ethanhill.com , these are lovely screen grabs, but his black and whites are so amazing to me.

Really like the concept on this one

And this is a super wicked band photo of the Flaming Lips. This one in particular I'd like to see larger.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Those are really really weird, but I think I like them.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Just looking at the link makes me want to cry.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I think it's cool he specializes in panoramas. I've not come across that yet.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
it's so cool to see animated .gifs become artsy.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I think this is my favorite, I like the movement from one subject to another within the same frame, over and over. Its kind of hypnotic to me.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I really like it, but I agree with you because it does feel real 'internetty' in a avant garde ytmnd kind of way.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

brad industry posted:

I like all these video experiments by photographers and seeing what they do with the limitations they have. Here's a short film by fashion photographer Alex Prager:

http://www.nowness.com/day/2010/6/10/683/bryce-dallas-howard-in-despair

That was interesting, it's pretty neat to see how his still work is transformed into motion. Also, it still feels very much like his still work because he kept the 4:3 aspect ratio instead of widescreen. Do you know what the significance of the birds/planes imagery is?

I saw this post about combining typography and video in a photographic way. http://www.aphotoeditor.com/2010/07/28/combining-video-and-typography/ I'm surprised more of the iPad magazines aren't doing this yet. Right now video is sort of thrown in as an afterthought in the examples I've checked out.

AIIAZNSK8ER fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 13, 2010

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I just found out about https://www.cpoy.org College Photographer of the Year competition. The winners in the portrait category are my favorite. I haven't seen the actual name of the photographers anywhere yet but the Bronze winner of the portrait category is bad rear end. http://www.cpoy.org/index.php?s=WinningImages&c=216#3.0 I love the way the photographer chose to show the guy as a portrait. All the little details make it, like his sweet wallpaper, and his suspenders.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
drat, I just spent the last 40 minutes on this site. So many awesome photos I can't pick just one to even show in the thread. Her portraits have so much life in them. She even makes great landscapes. The sheer volume of great photos makes me want to run out into the middle of the street and start shooting. loving inspired.

http://www.emilyshur.com

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

brad industry posted:

Interview - http://toomuchchocolate.org/?p=167

This interview is boss. It answers a bunch of questions for me and was even more inspiring. I have been pouring through so much magazine content lately, I'm trying to expand on the work I'm doing with my business magazine. It's kind of cool that we're growing together. The publisher is contemplating launching a lifestyle magazine and I'm figuring out how I can just be on the payroll instead of freelancing.

From the interview, I like how she separates commercial, editorial, and fine art into levels of creative control but always insists on consistency. My goal this year is to become more consistent. Also, I'm definitely taking up what she said about being upfront and honest with subjects.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Rephotography has always been really cool to me. It says a lot about the power of capturing a still image.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Mugshots of Australian criminals (heh) from the 1920's. Mugshots are a lost art IMO:

Dude on the left is now a prominent figure in my nightmares. Mostly the eyes.

Click here for the full 627x325 image.

These are amazing, link to more?

:smith:

Click here for the full 723x686 image.

These are amazing, link to more?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

dakana posted:

This one works for me, I like the experiment and the thought.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Here is a good interview with Dan Winters http://thecandidframe.blogspot.com/2009/11/candid-frame-85-dan-winters.html

The Candid Frame is one of my favorite podcasts, although some photographers have more interesting personalities than others. You can gauge pretty quickly who is going to be a rough interview. I love it because it doesn't focus on gear or technicals but the personalities and thought process behind photography. It's helped me a lot.

This photo blew my loving mind tonight. Take your lovely band photos back to the brick walls, empty fields, and train tracks where they came from.

This guy holds it down for real. http://www.codypickens.com

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

poopinmymouth posted:

So much intense cheese, but the production value is still incredible. Some interesting meta aspects too.

http://www.chanel.com/de_DE/parfum-schonheit/Universe-Coco-Mademoiselle-122461

I got a little hot and bothered when he pulled the ring light out.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

http://www.pieterhugo.com/the-hyena-other-men/

Holy crap this series is cool. The photos are really engaging to me and his write up of the story behind them is just as good. I really envy photographers who can also write. This inspired me to work on my own writing.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

RangerScum posted:

"Yo, look at this loving monkey. Please buy my medicine now."

It's interesting that the essay says people contacted the photographer in order to learn more about how the handlers stayed safe or about how the animals were treated, but never about why the hell they had to handle hyenas just to make a living in the first place.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

General Gingersnap posted:

It must be nice to not have to worry about your equipment.

There was one photographer commentary on Libya I was listening to where they actually took his camera from him somehow, and he ended up buying a rebel with a kit lens from a local mall and continued covering what he could. I can't find the link right now, but it was pretty intense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I saw these linked and thought, "Photos? Architectural graphics renders, surely..."

Then read the description :o:

Reminds me of the photos that Stieglitz did for a silk company. He photographed sugar cubes and eye glasses with light raked across it into a really cool pattern that the company used to print onto their scarves. I can't find the photos online anywhere, damnit.

• Locked thread