Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

From today's APOD:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=65931

That's a pretty ridiculous shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Moist von Lipwig posted:

This one got an audible gasp from me. I got goosebumps too.

Seriously, how goddamn lucky do you have to be.

"I was driving along a road, saw some unusual waves, hopped out, took a picture, and when I got it off the camera noticed someone just happened to be there, making it an epic shot."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This one caught my eye. Maybe not the most dramatic photo, but it seems like a great place to kick back and watch the world.

I want this on my wall:

I swear I've seen people here post images of this lake:

Or is my brain playing tricks on me?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just saw it as an attempt to mimic the Einstein picture.. probably the hair that does it more than anything.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dread Head posted:

I know I posted one probably around this time last year.

So is there a trail to that spot or something? Because it seems like most pictures are from the same spot.

Not that it's a bad spot by any means. It just amuses me that I can recognize a lake so easily, especially one I've never visited.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

squidflakes posted:

My god, how offensive! I demand that you take this provocative piece of filth down at once.

How dare he overexpose? I won't have his filth stinking up my internet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

dunkman posted:

Both people in the photo are in their late teens.

They also have four kids apiece, from previous marriages.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's so perfect, it looks kind of fake.

I'm thinking part of it is there's nothing in the shot to give a sense of scale.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've always wanted to do that re-photography thing, I have a few spots near me I'd like to try it on.. but it's hard to set up shots exactly like they used to be because things change so fast here in america.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Series of photos from the earthquake in NZ:

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/02/new-zealand-earthquake-search-rescue-and-repair/100016/

#8 blew my mind.

I've seen hundreds of earthquake devastation photos with huge cracks in the ground and buildings falling in on themselves over the years, perhaps to the point it's barely interesting anymore.

But seeing railroad tracks kinked like that makes me :stare:

Googling the guy that took it (Marty Melville) suggests he loves trains:

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=35842

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You'd have to make multiple attempts and be a monkey to not make an awesome photo out of that subject.

I'm pretty sure only HDR could well and truly ruin it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

:aaaaa:

(by Charlie Riedel)

Saw it here:

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/04/storms-tornadoes-devastate-the-south/100055/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Some of those gifs aren't too bad.. I kind of like the taxi reflection one. And I really like the one of the guy reading the newspaper (until you look too closely at the animation, and it looks pretty fake).

Most of them are just girls with blowing hair, which is pretty lame if you ask me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A5H posted:

Holy poo poo that newspaper one is amazing. How did he make gifs without all everything going weird? Mine always go to poo poo quality.

Oh man I really want to do it. How though? Is it from video? Or some ridiculous fast shots?

Probably just buffered shots, cutting the parts they want animated out and compositing them over a base image. I assume some manual pixel pushing is done to smooth things out.

They've been getting some media attention lately, look up "Kevin Burg" if you want. Here, he claims the intricate ones take 'about a day' to make:

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2011/04/how-jamie-beck-and-kevin-burg-create-their-animated-gifs/237404/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Beastruction posted:

Doesn't continuous shooting top out at like 10fps on the best cameras, and wouldn't that make for visibly choppy motion?

Yes, but I think they do a lot of massaging of the animation. They have a few gifs on their blog that look like they used the lasso tool and copied it to a new layer, so I doubt they're above creating new data where they need it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The best picture I've come across from the Vancouver riots last night:

http://imgur.com/XgbQT

(mildly NSFW, is a couple getting amorous in the street, no titties)

I like the contrast of the riot police and smooching.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Boston was a lot more cautious about it.. they closed off parking lots downtown, told bars to not let anyone in after the second period, stuff like that. They also got off easy because their team won.

Vancouver sank itself by setting up mass viewing areas downtown, which attracted massive crowds. It was pretty much inevitable that something was going to go wrong.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This may not be the best composed photo ever, but the capture has given me a new goal in life, to photograph a mountain casting a shadow on clouds:

http://yfrog.com/z/o0kc7nj

That's seriously incredible.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That is seriously rad.

I can't imagine the odds of something like that happening twice.. the number of variables that could ruin the scene are huge.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Helmacron posted:

I can't see why it wouldn't happen with any mountain of extreme prominence. Like Japan's Fuji San. Probably any volcanic spire would do it. It would probably have to be, at the very least, touching the clouds and it would probably only last 5 minutes tops.

Air currents are important too. Winds are constantly pushing clouds into Seattle from the west, where the air masses bunch up against the Cascade mountain range. That's what makes the line between cloudy and clear skies, allowing the sun to peak through from the east.

I don't think Japan has the geography to pull it off.. the mountains along the west coast of the US are unique in that they are pretty close to the shore, run roughly north-south, and are thousands of miles long. Having the Pacific ocean nearby to whip up some moisture-thick air helps too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I interpreted it as a horse farting out a genie.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

guidoanselmi posted:

If we're talking prominence that'd be the place - but I don't know how clouds are up in alaska - I imagine it as pretty clear given the cold air and latitude/circulation.

It alternates pretty steadily between clear and overcast.

Spring and summer tends to be clear skies, clouding up a lot for August through October. Winter skies depend on what kind of air masses blow through, sometimes it'll be so cold your nose hairs freeze and not a cloud in the sky, rest of the time it'll be grey out, burying you in snow.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would guess he had the camera set to bulb and he closed the shutter when he caught a few bolts.

If you look at the larger version, you can see star trails so he had the shutter open for at least 30 seconds:

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/your-shot/weekly-wrapper/2011/img/1011wallpaper-week-3-1_1600.jpg

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I was in Airzona last week, and saw this magazine in a grocery store, with a "50 greatest photos ever" edition:

http://www.arizhwys.com/

I don't know why the highways in Arizona need their own magazine, but I'm glad it does because the pictures they publish are pretty spectacular.

Unfortunately, it appears you have to pay $4 for an online version. So you'll just have to trust me unless you feel like paying a few bucks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That is quite a lot of cleavage. :stare:

It is a pretty striking shot, but it's got that overprocessed feel where she doesn't look quite real anymore.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

dukeku posted:

Many places exist that still look the same ;)

Yeah, stuff like that is still all over the place in the midwest.

But you're not gonna get the same cars parked in front of them (or if they are, the tires are gonna be flat and the panels 90% rust.. which would also make a great picture, now that I think about it).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That picture is messing with my head. It seems like such a boring subject, there's nothing going on, I can't find any reason for it to be awesome.

Yet it's totally compelling. How the gently caress does that work? :psyduck:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wonder how many places in the world you could get a basketball court, a church, and a missile in the same frame.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My value system for art is to answer the "would I want it to hang on my wall" question. The Rhine photo, the answer is no. It's boring and doesn't make me think at all. The F1 is more interesting and I wouldn't mind hanging it.

Final dollar figure is a function of how many people decide they want to hang the image on their wall.

By this metric, lots of people have terrible taste and want to hang boring pictures of rivers in their home.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

East Lake posted:

Is it just me, or is something insane going on with the DOF here? It's like there's a circle of in-focus area around the soldiers and as you get towards the edge it blurs out. Is this darkroom trickery?

I love the contrasty look to it too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hotwax Residue posted:

Would have something to a large format camera and crappy lens optics in those days?

I bet someone could make themselves a decent living creating "period" lenses these days. They make some really neat effects.

I guess most of it can be done in software now, but there's something juicy about doing it in the camera.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not to start a "what is art" argument, but what do you see in it?

Photo is doing nothing for me, but I'm not much of a bird fan.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd really love to see what he used to shoot with, as I cannot imagine getting any decent quality camera in through the soundholes of a violin.

I hope he's not butchering instruments. :ohdear:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't know what it is with old lenses but they always look loving amazing when they're mated with modern bodies.

I stop in every thrift and antique store I come across in the hopes that I'll encounter one but it hasn't happened yet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I want to look at those photos in more detail, but the GIS browser is loving terrible.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MotoGP is about to start up again for the year, so I started wandering through some of my favorite MotoGP photographers, ran across this.

:stare:

Maybe not the most technically amazing capture ever but goddamn what a moment.

Also really dug this:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They look like stills from movies in the 70's.. especially the one with the mountains. Urge to fiddle with white balance is almost impossible to resist!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's a wacky update to how timg functions. In some ways it's cool, in others, I liked having big images open in a new tab better.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My only issue with wildlife shots is the enormous lenses required.

Well, I like enormous lenses, I just can't afford them. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wonder how long he sat there cursing that he didn't get the entire fox in frame before realizing there was still a good photo in it.

• Locked thread