Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Every time Benoit P updates his flickr I get excited. One I liked recently:

Untitled by Benoit.P, on Flickr

His continuing "Rainbow Gathering" series is pretty great also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

McMadCow posted:

Man, I really wish that orange sign wasn't so prominent in the background. It really takes me out of it.

Now I can't un-see it, drat you.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Maverique posted:

I've actually talked to this lady a few times and she's really nice. Her photos are mostly african animals.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64890729@N04/

Some of those are really good, the rest I feel like an decent photographer could create given the chance to shoot such interesting subjects.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

alkanphel posted:

Not really a photographer per se but these are some really evocative shots taken by the Google Street View car: http://aaronhobson.com/gsv1.html

Sites down now, was that a 9-eyes rip off?

http://9-eyes.com/

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Stumbled on this recently. I love how subtly he is able to change the environment with just these wrappings:

Zander Olsen - Tree Line

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I think there's a really interesting conversation in this thread that we're not having. What defines something as a "snapshot" and what defines something as "great"? Does one necessarily preclude the other?

It seems that a lot of people get caught up in this sort of "my kid (or I) could take that shot" attitude. Personally, I believe that photography is about capturing a specific moment, a specific attitude or feeling. You can capture this in a persons gaze, or you can capture this in a snapshot or a planned photo. It's all about catching something that catches you. For me it seems like photos should twist your perception somewhat. They should take you out of the moment, and change the way you look at the world. They should cause you to bend your head, to do some mental work, to process something differently.

Basically, I think the argument of "snapshot" vs "great" is silly. Photography, in a certain sense, is about seeing the world. The world exists all around us, and it's silly to say that something taken off the cuff, on the run, from the hip, without planning is disqualified from being a great photo.

Other questions:

Are photographs inextricably nostalgic? What does it mean to grab the moment in a photograph? Beyond that, is this a positive action? I've been reading Sontag, who says no, it's not really positive in anyway, but I stubbornly refuse to believe that.

Anyway, sorry for the mish mash up there. I'm hung over and it's a Sunday morning but I've been thinking a lot about photography as a concept and I'd love to have this conversation with Dorkroomers. I wanted to start it somehow, even if it is just word vomit.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The point that I was making is that I dont think the photographer should be judged on set up time. The thing that should be judged is the scene that they see and capture in the moment. Your example is bad because it discounts everything that great street photographers, and general life photographers do. Robert Brown traveled around the US with a camera capturing pictures and scenes that defined every day american life. He didn't spend hours setting up shots, he put himself into situations and then documented what he saw with a singular vision.

Photography isn't about set up or process, it's about product. It's your (hopefully) unique eye that defines you as a photographer, not the amount of time or set up or gear that it took to get the shot (though that's not to disqualify shoots that require huge amounts of time/gear).

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm sure you all have seen this (and if you haven't, it's because you're not following the Times Lens blog, which makes you a stupid head) but these photos from an NYPD cop on the beat in the bronx are pretty great.

(Sorry, Times uses a flash player so I can't post the photos here)

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

somnambulist posted:

I've been a fan of Brooke Shaden for a very long time, but I am in LOVE with this one

in and of earth by brookeshaden, on Flickr

The powder thing isn't new, but her execution and the shape of the cloud made my jaw drop. Awesome.

I've got a problem her with her and that other dude. So much of what they do is in post...

Edit: to be clear, the image is stunning, but it seems less like photography and more like digital art.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

wizard sticks posted:

Can't believe Rhine II sold for $4.3 million.

I'm sure he put a ton of work into it, but it looks like something anyone with a DSLR can go out and shoot.

This is not a very good argument as to why that picture is not worth 4.3 mil.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So back in September I attended a photo workshop called the Missouri Photo Workshop. It's a photojournalism workshop that's been documenting small town life in Missouri for over 60 years. They've been to 45 different small towns in Missouri so far. The program was founded by Cliff and Vi Edom. Cliff Edom is the man who literally invented photojournalism. I met some pretty incredible photographers there, and I wanted to share some of their work.

Stan Olszewski: Crowded House. Stan was wandering around the first day of the program shooting his test roll, and took a couple pictures of some kids running wild in a trailer park. Their parents called the cops on him. When he told the story to the faculty, they demanded he go back and get into their house to shoot. He went back and convinced the parents to let him shoot. 11 people were living in a double wide trailer and he got some pretty amazing stuff out of it (I should mention Stan is like, 6' 5" - a big guy for a small space with so many people in it).

Louisa Marie Summer: Reconsidering Life. Louisa found a guy going through his house after a divorce. Her portraits of him are really incredible.

Razan Alzayani: Modern Family. Razan found a woman, living with her child and the child's father, but dating another woman. The father was devoted to the child, and to the mother, but the mother was dating a woman who then cheated on her, and they broke up (within the week Razan was there). It's a pretty fantastic story, and she got some great photos out of it as well.

You can see all of the stories here.

Perhaps I'm more blown away by these photos having actually seen, and worked through the process of getting them. It's no easy thing to insert yourself into someone's life for a week and shoot them at their most vulnerable. Photojournalism doesn't seem to get discussed all that much on this forum, and I think there's something to be said for appreciating these photos for the stories they tell, and the effort that went into getting them.

My story is on that site as well, but it's poo poo so I'm not linking it. Honestly, I haven't really been shooting since I went. It was like a first grader enrolling in a college level calculus class because he had just learned how to add. Almost completely destroyed my confidence and made me reassess whether I should even be taking photos at all.

I really urge you to check out the photos I linked though, I think they're pretty incredible. The other stories are awesome as well, but these three really stood out to me.

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 2, 2013

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

BobTheCow posted:

Perfect timing! I just started a photojournalism thread yesterday hoping to spark some discussion, I even mentioned that workshop specifically: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3536198&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

You should pop in over there and share your thoughts, I'm sure I'll have some questions for you once I get a chance to look at the work that was produced in the next couple days.

Done :)

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SoundMonkey posted:

See earlier post w/r/t shutting up.

I'm confused are we not allowed to talk anymore, or are we just not allowed to be dickheads.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

somnambulist posted:

This is stupid. It's one thing to call an artists work not your thing, i get that, not every style is going to appeal to everyone. But are you going to tell me with a straight face these arent good photos?

the falling of autumn darkness by brookeshaden, on Flickr

hiding fragments of the future by brookeshaden, on Flickr

And if you listen to her talk, she never tries to be more then what she is. She simply enjoys surrealist photography and she doesnt hide the fact its manipulated or fake. She has a concept and she shoots it.

We take images of banal things all the time and label it as art, so i dont know why a girl who understands composition, color, and concept isnt an artist.

I think they're well executed, but I don't find them interesting in any way.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

William T. Hornaday posted:

That's fine. But a lot of other people read and post in this thread and most of them probably aren't concerning themselves with catering to what you (or anyone else) specifically want to see.

If you like it, cool. If you don't, ignore it. This seems simple enough.

Fair enough.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

David Pratt posted:

Went to the Robert Frank exhibition at Stockholm Fotografiska Museet. If you haven't already, you should get hold of a copy of The Americans.

They re-released it in a smaller size. You can get it for like $30 on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Americans-Robert-Frank/dp/386521584X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1395155803&sr=1-1&keywords=robert+frank

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I think these are beautiful:

Sian Davey: Looking for Alice

quote:

This series is an illustration of family life - all the tensions, joys, ups and downs that go with the territory of being in a family. My family is a microcosm for the dynamics occurring in many other families. We are no different. As a psychotherapist I have listened to many stories and it is interesting that what has been revealed to me, after fifteen years of practice, is not how different we are to one another, but rather how alike we are as people. It is what we share that is significant. The stories vary but we all experience similar emotions. We are all vulnerable to feelings of anger, grief and depression. The list goes on...

My daughter Alice, born with Downs Syndrome, is no different to any other human being. She feels what you and I feel. However, our society does not acknowledge this and her very existence is given little or no value. Alice has entered a world where routine genetic screening at twelve weeks gestation is thrust towards birth prevention rather than birth preparation. Whilst we make our selection and decisions in private, the effect on society is that ninety two percent of Downs Syndrome babies are terminated at the pre-natal screening stage. Indeed, prior to the introduction of screening, children such as Alice would have been severely marginalised and ultimately institutionalised and given little or limited medical care.

I was deeply shocked when Alice was born as an 'imperfect' baby. It was not what I had expected. Our first experiences in hospital did little to diffuse this. Examining Alice the paediatrician pulled back her legs, pushed her thumbs deep into her groin, and promptly announced that we should take Alice home and treat her like any other baby. But she didn't feel like any other baby, and I was fraught with anxiety that rippled through to every aspect of my relationship with her. My anxieties penetrated my dreams. I dreamt that Alice was swaddled in a blanket and that I had forgotten all about her. I unwrapped the tight bundle that she was nestled in, to feed her, only to discover that she was covered in a white fluid - a fluid of neglect; and yet I was unable to feed her, unable to respond to her basic needs.

On reflection I saw that Alice was feeling my rejection of her and that caused me further pain. I saw that the responsibility lay with me; I had to dig deep into my own prejudices and shine a light on them. The result was that as my fear dissolved I fell in love with my daughter. We all did.

I wonder how it might be for Alice to be valued without distinction, without exception and without second glance.

This project is for her, for Alice.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

The Atlantic is my favorite source for photojournalism these days.

The Ship Breakers

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2014/11/the-ship-breakers/100859/

The Washington Post In Sight blog has posted some really nice stuff as well. I really loved this piece on street basketball (can't remember if it's been posted or not): http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/in-sight/wp/2014/09/22/the-streetball-courts-of-southeast-washingtons-barry-farms/.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

BANME.sh posted:

Dunno if anyone here is into the absurd but this guy does some amazing stuff

http://chrismaggio.tumblr.com/

Hey I went to college with him. Met him a couple times. Mutual friends.

Whelp, that's my story. Thanks for listening.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

365 Nog Hogger posted:

That guy's photos rule hard.
e: god drat it that's the vice guy who I'M-NOT-SAYING-STOLE did the food photo thing

Stole from who? Or do you just hate him because he works for Vice?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
With the Philae Lander waking up, the photos from its landing on the comet are getting passed around again. The images weren't taken by a "photographer" per se, but I think they're pretty loving awesome: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/03/20/science/space/rosetta-comet-photos.html?_r=0.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

LargeHadron posted:

Thread eat your vegetables. Alec Soth, again:

I'm kind of meh on these. Why do you like them?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

LargeHadron posted:

TBH I was more just tired of mediocre storm photos, and I happened to be browsing Alec Soth at the time because of what Thoogsby posted at the top of the page. I definitely *like* the shots I posted but I'm not so in love with them that I feel like they should be defended.

e. I take that back. The first one, I really like. Do you feel like that one needs an explanation or do you agree that it is the strongest of the three?

Yeah I agree that the first one is the strongest.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Oh god the tables

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
If you're interested in finding more awesome contemporary photographers Selektor posted a list of 100 photographers on tumblr http://selektormagazine.tumblr.com/post/99981569945/100-photographers-on-tumblr-fr-commence-en.

The list only contains about 8 ladies on it, prompting another photographer to post a list of women photographers on tumblr: http://tammymercure.tumblr.com/post/100120734876/first-let-me-apologize-for-preaching-to-the.

Lot's of blogs in there and lots of good contemporary work (in my admittedly ignorant opinion).

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I've always loved this image but didn't know where it came from, or whether it was even real:

I looked it up yesterday, and it's by a guy named Corey Arnold, who did a series on Bering Sea fishermen. It's worth checking out: http://www.coreyfishes.com/koken/albums/fish-work-bering-sea/.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
These are kind of fun: http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/20...ersion=EndSlate

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
This thread doesnt get enough love.

Great http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/09/06/capturing-complexity-and-color-in-mexico/

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
More from the times: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/09/11/magazine/11mag-santa-monica-high-photo-essay.html?_r=1

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

RangerScum posted:

those look like lovely pics taken by a kid in high school... let me guess, you were on homecoming court?

What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Helen Highwater posted:

I got an Instagram like from Jan Schlegel. Holy poo poo his stuff is amazing. He shoots with a 4x5 field camera on black and white film with some hand tinting.

His :nws: Instagram feed :nws:

Boy I really dont like these. The hand tinting seems really silly (and some of the people are halo'd).

What do you like about it?

• Locked thread