Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Haven't read the whole thread so I don't know if he has been mentioned, but I was lucky enough to visit the Edward Burtynsky exhibition 'Oil' in London last year.

In person it is mind blowing how much detail is contained in one of those large prints. My personal favourite from the exhibition is this one:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

No, just post more photos from awesome photographers please.

Trent Parke is an Australian photographer.

His black and white work is very well known but his more recent colour stuff is also incredible.

You can also watch this short doco about him http://vimeo.com/6831560

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

quote:

Hido presents this depraved world of glaring lights, and glaring brown but with no hope: desolation and isolation and all the things wrong with people, suburbia and the landscape

Er, yep, that's why his work is so good. Sorry that the world isn't always perfect meals in cozy italian restaurants in the countryside. Are you saying you don't like art that doesn't reinforce some rosy ideal view of the world?

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

You missed the meaning of my response to your analogy. And you mistook my question for a statement about how I define photography. Sorry that you don't like Todd Hido.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Fair enough although I would expect that the sense of unease is absolutely deliberate on his part. What makes you think they are not supposed to make you feel uneasy?

What do you think of Gregory Crewdson?

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

http://thisisnthappiness.com/post/102410835894/up-all-night-lucas-deshazer

One of our dorkroomers getting some recognition on tumblr

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

ant mouth posted:

All portland goons should go head to the Portland Art Museum and see Richard Mosse's The Enclave. Huge beautiful prints taken with a large format camera using discontinued infrared film.

The video instillation is pretty damned amazing for the brief glimpse I caught of it before the museum closed. It was shot on the most moon rocky of film:

Richard Mosse, "The 16mm version [of the infrared film] is on a special order basis, so it was really hard to find. I was working through a network of used film dealers and found some of it, apparently produced special-order by Kodak for a film to be shot in Death Valley; but once the cinematographer started to research the film, he realized how impossible it would be, because the film is critically heat-sensitive; it only lasts seven days outside of the freezer. So I worked for about two or three years to get it, and these [film dealers] kept saying it was there and then it wasn’t there, and it was there, and I kept offering and offering and offering. I made one last offer and apparently [the owner’s] wife had had a baby, so he found his priorities changed, so he finally decided he could sell it."

gently caress yeah I saw this at FOAM in Amsterdam, so good. It is well worth watching the whole video installation.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

I remember that cowboy photo from national geographic when I was a kid.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

ant mouth posted:

Joe Mcnally completely nailed it with his Beijing Fashion series. Composition, lighting (especially the mixing of warm and cool), and capturing motion are all exceptional.

Link to his site

Ugly_Jim posted:

Azat Akhyarov

Shadow by Azat Akhyarov, on Flickr

— How are you?.. by Azat Akhyarov, on Flickr

Railcar by Azat Akhyarov, on Flickr

These are both quite unremarkable, the second set is actually pretty bad.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Those are either really badly scanned or digital shots with really bad "film" filters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Erostratus posted:

Maybe same-ish documentary photographers are old around here, but i still find stuff like this really refreshing (though unfortunately not novel) and hopeful.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sohailkarmani/

Young village woman by Sohail Karmani, on Flickr

Puke. What do you find refreshing about that?

• Locked thread