Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Mannequin posted:

I like all of Steve McCurry's published photographs. Every one of them. He is, of course, famous for the Afghan girl, you probably already knew that. But his other work is just as impressive.

Really, I think what helps make his photos stand out so much, aside from the subject and composition, is the brilliant colors.

Most of what he shot in his glory days was, of course, all on film. Shooting with digital equipment today, I really ache to achieve those same kinds of colors and effects. I hate faking it in Photoshop.

McCurry is everything I wish I could be as a photographer. He's everything that inspires travel and a curiosity for our world. Breathtaking.

I'm a pretty big fan of Ira Meyer after seeing some of his work at this tiny monthly art fair in Studio City, CA. I walked into his tent and you could literally feel the air drop several degrees with his Arctic work hanging around everywhere. Internet posting don't do them justice, as they are awesome in print. His other work isn't as strong, but his ice work makes up for it.

Also, and I may get flak for this, I really enjoy Lara Jade's work. A lot of it is fit to a very specific stereotype, but she found a way to take that style and turn it into a pretty famous brand on what was essentially a Digital Rebel and no budget to start with. I still remember following her work when she was just beginning on dA, and it's good to see that she's made a name for herself, as much of a niche as it may be. I just hope she doesn't can herself into that niche and only work with "omghyperpost-processing" like she has been lately.

Not her best work, but it's what I got with my lazy Flickr look-see:

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Nov 18, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Moist von Lipwig posted:

This one got an audible gasp from me. I got goosebumps too.

The Earth is loving awesome. That guy is awesome. I can't even imagine how that photo was taken with the perfect settings at the perfect time, but it's goddamn inspiring.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Twenties Superstar posted:

This might seem surprising but there is more to photography than camera settings!!

I just meant that it was an incredibly lucky photo, which is certainly a part of great photojournalism. "F/8 and be there" and all that jazz. There were a ton of different elements that had to come together at just the right time for it to turn out the way that it did.

Which I guess is what I like about photography so much. The guy who took that is the only one who will ever get that shot. He's an incredibly lucky photographer, and I don't mean that in a demeaning way at all. Most photogs will be hard-pressed to get one shot that good out of their careers.

In other news, National Geographic is in the middle of their annual photo contest.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Oct 18, 2010

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

xzzy posted:

I just saw it as an attempt to mimic the Einstein picture.. probably the hair that does it more than anything.

On the NatGeo page it says he was a painter in France who turned and made that face when he noticed the photographer. I kind of like it, and if it's good enough for NG, it's good enough for me. They're usually pretty good about stamping out or not displaying things they feel is over-the-top, but I don't know how they choose what to display on their contest page. I also go for super-ultra-high-contrasty stuff which is definitely not the norm I guess.

If you want something a little more "traditional," I absolutely love this one from their first week of entries. The magazine actually had an article about this group, the Yi people, not long ago if I remember right. Pretty powerful stuff.

Click here for the full 632x948 image.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 19, 2010

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I'm with Bottom Liner on this one. I think they are great examples of lines and composition, but I just don't find them very interesting. I like photos that tell a story, and aside from the guy on the beach, I really don't get much out of these aside from the technical qualities, and the yellow dingy look isn't my favorite. I also think this is why I am terrible at architectural photography. I can see why others like them, though, and since they seem to be popular with a few goons here, they probably deserve to be in here. :)

That being said, this is also about the 50th time this debate has come up in this thread, so here are some more photos! NatGeo Traveler's Annual Photo Contest is underway! As you can expect, there are some mediocre shots with some pretty fantastic ones thrown in. You can see every entry now instead of just "featured" ones every week, from the way they describe their gallery. Some of my favorites:

(if only there wasn't so much green, but lovely otherwise)

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Dynastocles posted:

Helmut Newton

If you like Helmut, come visit me at work!

I'm not a huge fan of his work and think his actual fashion portraits are better than the nudes he was known for, but I have to say that his prints look pretty great in person. The Rue Abroit series (the first one you posted) and Elsa Peretti's Bunny Girl are fantastic. He loved giant pieces so some of them, like his Big Nudes, are 6-feet tall. He seemed like a pretty funny dude, too, based off the documentaries we've got playing right now.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 20, 2013

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Spedman posted:

The jump in price from 8x10 to ULF is just crazy and to be honest I can't really see the point, very much a case of diminishing returns, but loving cool none the less.

And for some LF content, here a video of a guy named Clyde making awesome 40x60 wet prints from 8x10 negs, living the dream:
http://youtu.be/RCN_WQeEKnc

He did a talk at our museum a few years ago and he basically owns. Also, please go see his stuff in person if you can. loving giant levels of detail oh god I'm walking into a photograph

http://www.annenbergspaceforphotography.org/events/iris-nights/extreme-exposure/67

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Are you guys just now discovering Bill Allard? :stare:

Met him for our National Geographic 125th Anniversary show last year. Really awesome dude and incredibly nice.

Another really great Old Dude that's been shooting for NatGeo for years in Jim Richardson, my personal favorite photographer. It should come as no surprise they both have similar tastes in hats, as a good photographer should.

• Locked thread