Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
We have a thread for inspiration, and we have PAD, but we lack a gallery of great images from other photographers. ITT, I propose we post these photos. So let's get to it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

kefkafloyd posted:

I would posit that linking to that photographer's page and perhaps talking about them would be useful. Who took that photo? Was it someone from here?

Good thinking. It's actually a flickr person but I obfuscated that because I wanted to be ninja and make you guys think it was from someone more established. I don't really know much about him except that he's French, and recently won an award for taking this picture:

He does some cool things.

brad industry posted:

I'm really into Jamie Chung's work. She's super young and has one of the best still life portfolios I've seen:

http://cyanatrendland.com/2009/06/29/jamie-chung-still-life-photography/

I'm intrigued by photos like this, but intimidated by trying to execute them because they require such strong vision. I don't always have that when I'm photographing, my vision comes as I go along. I'm terrible about conceptualizing and planning. I have a feeling that art school really helps with that kind of thing.

The other thing is, I'm not really sure I understand this photograph. I like it because it seems chaotic, yet fun and imaginative. But I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be reading more from it. What message do you read from it?

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 18, 2009

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

dakana posted:

Hmm. I'm not really seeing your vision here. Maybe being there gave a stronger impression, but the photo seems pretty boring.

. . . . .

I like all of Steve McCurry's published photographs. Every one of them. He is, of course, famous for the Afghan girl, you probably already knew that. But his other work is just as impressive.

Really, I think what helps make his photos stand out so much, aside from the subject and composition, is the brilliant colors.

Most of what he shot in his glory days was, of course, all on film. Shooting with digital equipment today, I really ache to achieve those same kinds of colors and effects. I hate faking it in Photoshop.

More can be found here.

. . . . .

nonanone posted:

Avedon will never stop being my ultimate inspiration :swoon:

Avedon is awesome! He's another one that there are too many good photos to squeeze into one thread.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

KingColliwog posted:

holy poo poo...

I mean I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to say. I would take one shot as good as this in my life and I'd be able to put down my camera and feel good about myself until I died.

The positive feedback you'd get would hopefully encourage you to continue. Sometimes, I am envious of these guys because part of what makes them successful is that they can go to places that I can't. In some ways, I kind of feel like they're cheating because they have an advantage I don't have. But on the other hand, I know they worked really hard to get there and they deserve it.

spog posted:

I really want to play, but I cannot find the drat photo I want to talk about.

Somebody help me!

It's a publicity photo for The Sopranos:

It is a full length portrait of 3 people: Paulie, Silvio and Chris(?).
They are wearing dark trenchcoats and are standing in a butchers/meat packers. There's a pig carcass hanging up behind them

I suspect it is a Leibovitz, but my google skills are waek and I cannot find it.

Hmmm, I thought initially you were talking about a Leibovitz shot as well, but I was thinking of something else. The photo you're talking about seems impossible to find now, and I really want to see it! Doesn't sound like a Leibovitz shot or I think it would have turned up by now.

nonanone posted:

Avedon will never stop being my ultimate inspiration :swoon:

One thing Avedon did that I thought was really good, which I suppose should come naturally to any good photographer, was a self-portrait. I think most people have a hard time with these because not many people like taking pictures of themselves, and I think it's also hard to be objective when you're looking at yourself in a photo.

I thought this was good, though:

He's just all business. And he's doing something which captures your attention and makes the picture feel alive. It's not just a flat photo of a face or something.

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 18, 2009

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

poopinmymouth posted:

What separates this "good banality" from the thousands of banal and uninteresting shots you can find on flickr and in shoeboxes of amateur snaps of nothing the world over?

He shouldn't have to prove to you why it's good, though. You're free to dislike it regardless of whatever he thinks makes it stand out.

poopinmymouth posted:

It's a shot of some foliage and a wire.

This is dangerous thinking, IMO. If it's just a shot of some foliage and a wire, what is your photography to other people? If all we do is say "oh, it's nothing special it's just ______ ", then we're closing our minds and not being fully receptive to what it could be.

Gambl0r posted:

whatever he was trying to convey does not come across as obviously or eloquently as his other work.

I think it's just subjective, and to some people it speaks louder than others.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
You should be able to say it's good for qualities you can't appreciate and leave it at that. You should also trust that, because the photographer knows what he's doing, there is merit to it that you don't see or don't care for. This is also perfectly acceptable. Regardless of who took it or who thinks it's great, you don't have to like it and that's okay.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
What's awesome about Schoeller is he uses a custom-built large format camera that has been converted into something he can sling over his shoulder and carry with him. Hence the incredible detail, shallow depth of his portraits.

http://www.popphoto.com/Features/How-to/Build-Your-Own-4x5-Point-and-Shoot
http://www.kippwettstein.com/camera/cameraproject.htm

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Joseph A. Holmes posted:

The Workspace project is my ongoing attempt to examine the quasi-private spaces people carve out of their public work lives. Such spaces represent a tug of war between personal expression and comfort on the one hand and the unyielding demands of work on the other. The long-term accumulation of the tokens of that struggle, over years or even decades, can be formally beautiful in a very human and touching way. The project is part of a larger series in which I ask friends and strangers to open up private spaces to my camera.

Because I document a space exactly as I find it, never arranged for the camera, the Workspace project is necessarily a spontaneous process. I can't, for example, call ahead and explain what I'm after without inviting the destruction of what I hope to capture. Lately I've been finding workspaces by walking in off the street with camera and tripod and simply asking (though "simply asking" doesn't quite convey the complex dance of explanation, skepticism, persuasion, and fascination that goes back and forth). What I end up capturing, then, turns out to be the work that was interrupted to answer the door.

(January 2007)

http://portfolio.streetnine.com/workspace+/

This series speaks to me because I've always been interested in work spaces for many years, especially now that I work in a place that has a very griddy and fascinating machine shop upstairs, which has been in use since the 1920's and has a lot of character to it. One day I'll go up there and do some proper photos of it.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
I found out about landscape photographer Jack Brauer the other day, and became an instant fan. His work looks a lot like that of Galen Rowell's, the famed National Geographic photographer who was killed in a plane crash about 10 years ago.

Galen? Is that you?

Unlike Rowell, however, who primarily used the Nikon F5, Jack uses the 4x5 Tachihara field camera for many of his shots. (Up until recently, you could buy this camera new from B&H, Calumet or Adorama for around $1,500. Now it only exists on eBay. Not sure what happened there.) According to Brauer's website, he switched over to the Canon 5D Mk II and T/S lenses about a year ago.

In addition to his great landscapes, he is also an accomplished snowboarder and climber. And when he's not selling $200-$5,000 prints he is making websites for other photographers.

Because of his success, he is able to travel the world over.

Sounds like the perfect job to me!

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 23, 2010

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
This is currently my favorite car photographer on flickr:

Looks like he has a pretty fun job.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7211625@N06/2903320591/

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Benoit Paillé is doing more good work these days. Lately, I have been watching his candid portrait series:

Google Translate posted:

Discovery Project by Benoit Paille, a young self-taught photographer of 24 years: Stranger Project is to meet the people he meets by chance in the street. Sa démarche “Interroger le monde moderne et tenter de briser l'individualisme et l'anonymat de la grande ville”. His approach "Questioning the modern world and try to break individualism and anonymity of the big city."

http://www.fubiz.net/2010/01/22/stranger-project/

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

orange lime posted:

If they can bring Polaroid film back from the dead, there's got to be someone out there who'd do the same for Kodachrome.

I know that if I had millions of dollars to donate to charity I'd spend at least a couple million buying up old film production machines and recreating the Kodachrome production line/processing facility. I'd have my own little baby Kodak facility, supplying and processing Kodachrome in any size you liked. Imagine shooting it with a 20x24 :swoon:

I was talking to a photojournalist today and I think he mentioned that the problem with Kodachrome isn't just that the development process is so technical and difficult, but that the chemicals required are being clamped down on by the (insert government agency here - fda?) because they are dangerous or toxic. Quick google search shows nothing of the sort but I was sure he said that.

If there's truth to that I guess it would mean even if you hand unlimited money, it would still be impossible.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Yeah, logic says it has more to do with profitability than anything else. What's unfortunate, though, is that I think we are actually beginning to see a surge in film use and I think it could get even stronger. I'm hoping I can buy a film camera and get at least one roll of Kodachrome developed before it's too late.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

guidoanselmi posted:

I'm really wondering how you get away with shooting fire like that, or was it added later?

Photographing fire isn't very hard, you just need a somewhat slow shutter speed like 1/20.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Every now and then when I am doing a flickr search for film types, I bump into this image of Mary Ellen Mark. I didn't know who she was. But today, I finally decided to look up her work... and wow, is it nice! This exemplifies the kind of photography I really love.

Of course, if you poke around a little you see she's pretty famous and well-established. I did not know this. Anyway, I think it's pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

GWBBQ posted:

A lot of the people in those pictures are going to be in some deep poo poo when police find them. This guy is going to be in some really deep poo poo.

http://i.imgur.com/9XbDz.jpg

That's not a riot, that's a party.

Funny you say this... a bit of old news by now, but relevant anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPQOQsLUW60

• Locked thread