Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Found while cruisin' Wikipedia for info on wet-plate:

"A Veteran and His Wife", 1860's

That guy is straight out of a Leyendecker drawing. This is an amazing find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

BeastOfExmoor posted:

The Big Picture this week is all shots from National Geographic's photo contest. Some amazing shots.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/11/national_geographics_photograp.html

Awesome stuff. 17, 30 and 35 are my favourites.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

East Lake posted:

Been digging through the Edward S. Curtis photos at the Library of Congress website.

These ones are astounding. Wow.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Cannister posted:

He's got a really great "stranger" series on his flickr stream. Username's Benoit.P I believe. As far as I can tell the dude just goes to random people on the street or knocks on their door, tells them he wants to take their portrait and then they let him. It's very neat.

Ah: here's the link.

This is impressing the heck out of me. I wish he would mention what kind of light setups he uses.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

East Lake posted:

Michael Kenna

Holy poo poo.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Arinel posted:

Alex Stoddard : 365 Project

Holy gently caress. :aaaaa:

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Reichstag posted:

I'm writing the OP for a thread for this discussion to take place in, but I have to respond to this now: No, it doesn't. For reasons related to what I posted, and some rather larger ones, like talent (whatever it is). Taking a 100 photos a day doesn't make you a better photographer.

Taking a 100 photos a day that challenge you in some way does. The subject matter of these 365-projects, despite being appealing on an individual basis can appear stagnate as a whole, but I think it's rather foolish to assume that they aren't growing in some way by doing them.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

Great photojournalism of floods in Bangkok; http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/10/bangkok-underwater/100178/

There's some fantastic shots there, but the Hamburglar in #17 cracked me up.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

That's awesome. It took my brain a few seconds to figure out what I was looking at.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

That looks like something from a Syfy original movie.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

He's got some good techincal stuff, but the cop's posing in that image is really awkward/sloppy given the effort that went into lighting, costumes et al. Try throwing a punch and observe where the weight and momentum leave your head and back arm.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I stumbled upon Missy Prince's Flickr photostream a couple weeks back and fell in love.

. .

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

What kind of film is that stuff taken on? The colors are gorgeous.

Google search turned up her answering that question in a Flickr comment with Superia 400. I'm not sure if that's what she uses in general or if it was specific to that shot.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

dukeku posted:

Todd Hido

This stuff is really cool. I like that there's a consistent tone between the buildings he shoots and his portraits.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

It's interesting that some of those photos were taken with intent on being contemporary. While a feeling of nostalgia isn't something I strive for when I take pictures, I do actively avoid dating them with the inclusion of anything modern, especially cars. I've 'missed' plenty shots due to unfortunately parked hyrbrids or someone talking on their cellphone. It's as if their inclusion would deconstruct the reality that I wish my photographs existed in.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

dukeku posted:

I liked this one until I saw the people behind the one-way mirror. Then I loved it.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

dukeku posted:

Richard Prince

Holy gently caress do I want prints of this stuff.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

William Albert Allard: Five Decades

Incredible photojournalist for Nat Geo.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2010/10/allards-west/allard-photography

Thanks for posting this, just bought his book.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

dukeku posted:

Julius Shulman

If you haven't seen it yet, check out the documentary on him, "Visual Acoustics".

edit: What kind of currently available films are out there that can achieve the same sort of colour cast as that last picture?

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 1, 2012

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I love wildlife photography, but unfortunately a lot of it is just par for the course. I understand the difficulty, skill and patience involved in just being able to shoot certain animals competently in the wild, so when guys like Nick Brandt come along, they blow me away.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

This is absurdly good.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

That's a really cool series, but Francisca Femenias. Death after life, Jesus Christ. Thanks for sharing this.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Philip-Lorca diCorcia

I'm not sure how I've only just discovered him, but his work is now amongst my favourite photographs I've ever seen. I need to track down some of his books.

William T. Hornaday posted:

I like Tim Flach's work. His 'More Than Human' set in particular.

Wow.

edit: that gibbon (41) is beyond adorable

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Dec 8, 2012

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I just want to say that I really enjoy and appreciate your awesome photos thread posts, dukeku.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Relax, they have that MF/LF look.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I think I saw a bunch of those on ASX or These Americans mixed in with some others a while back but wow that series rules.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

fuckin' hdr

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Those are pretty spectacular.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

HAHAHAHAHAHA Holy poo poo those rule.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

365 Nog Hogger posted:

And this amazing insanity:

This is the best thing I've seen in weeks.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

hey man, you should really take my floating workshop

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Crewdson's approach is kind of neat and while I respect the dedication he has to his vision, the final pieces just feel like emotionally vacant versions of Hopper paintings. I think Di Corcia executed this sort of stuff throughout his career far, far better and without Crewdson's budgets.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I see what you mean, but imo they aren't very similar to Hopper at all. Hopper's scenes were invariably normal, oppressively so, whereas Crewdson's scenes are alien and strange. The similarity I see is the perspective, without the presence of the photographer, as well as a bit of the light-work. I think that's only because we associate those casts and shadows with hopper's dominating mastery of light being adopted into popular visual language in the states.

I've admittedly never really read anything about Hopper or his intent, but to me I always felt the normality of his scenes ruminated a crushing sense of dissociation and detachment with the world. I might just be projecting my own emotions onto their work, but I get a lot of that out of Di Corcia (and Crewdson to a lesser extent).

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Don't worry, the other sign stipulates absolutely no fillers.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

It's awfully derivitive of Eggleston and Friedlander's backs of people's heads.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

what the gently caress is art

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

because you posted thomas kinkade's flickr account

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Helmacron posted:

why would you want to hate things that people want to love

Why do you assume I hate it? The guy wanted to know why people were laughing at his post. As others have said, the photos aren't particularly compelling and the bar should be set higher in a thread meant to inspire people to hopefully do better work.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Why are 'cinematic' and 'painterly' sought after qualities in photography?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I saw The Enclave a couple months back in Montreal and yeah, it's fantastic. If you have time, I'd suggest going back and watching the video installation in its entirety. It's somewhere in the neighbourhood of 30-40 minutes and standing in the middle of a room with screens all around me was one of the most intense and disorienting audio/visual experiences I've had in any sort of gallery.

• Locked thread