Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Jesus loving christ that's so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

tviolet posted:

I absolutely love to see everything here. I also really enjoy to read about different opinions. I never had a proper education about history of art. With time passing, I think I can see and understand more, but still some work leave me baffled. I think it would be nice if there was a thread to analyze different pieces, with more knowledgeable people possibly answering questions.

What in here is leaving you baffled?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

God those loving Friedlander photos are so good

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

ahorn magazine posted:

What can I say? I, like many photographers, writers and may other artists for that matter, am drawn to images inspired by family and the one's closest to us. There is a certain intimacy that comes through an image when made from within any relationship whether loving, difficult, conflicted, or otherwise. But then, aren't most relationships in one or more of these states at given anytime? Dog Days Bogotá by Alec Soth is not these images of interaction; it is a prequel to this. It's more like a promise to bring someone—someone innocent and a bit unknown—the most unconditional promise of love. It is a beautiful monograph of images made in Columbia, the birthplace of his adopted daughter, Carmen Laura. The introduction reads, in part:

Carmen's birthmother gave her a book filled with letters, pictures and poems. "I hope that the hardness of the world will not hurt your sensitivity," she wrote, "When I think about you I hope that your life is full of beautiful things."

Alec Soth took those words as a mission statement and began documenting the city where Carmen was born. I read somewhere that he did not originally set out make a book, rather to document this hard place for the beauty that remained among man's failures. Either way, the images are wonderful.

The metropolitan area of Bogotá has 8 million in population. In an area so densely inhabited, crime, pollution and corruption make life dangerous. Among the struggles in such a place are good intentions and honorable actions and life in earnest pursuit of good. A place where there is hope. This book is proof.

The pictures are square. A different approach than we are used to seeing from Mr. Soth. This format sets this body of work apart from the rest of his imagery, furthering emphasizing the personal nature of his efforts. The book is stunningly printed and small, which is a lot like flipping through a handful of five-inch prints. This format and the natural, gentle colors throughout beg for quiet contemplation at each image.

Guns and saints. Feral dogs. Military. Faith. Crumbling city buildings. Life making life beautiful. Handing each other compliments and insults. Giving and taking and taking and giving. Dog Days Bogotá shows what life holds for us, what we have let pass by us, where to find what we are seeking.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Helen Highwater posted:

Firstly I like the premise of his work - large format with no digital manipulation.

If it's scanned they're manipulated, though

• Locked thread