Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
This thread just got way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
Yeah, and much of Shore's work includes elements that make them very easy to place in time. Nothing like that in this one, but I don't think it needs it, as it's a strong image without temporal context.

And are those birds perched at the water's edge? Let's say she's looking at those birds. A photograph being in part a gaze, Shore's captured her gaze, too. Very abyme, but it also creates a sort of tension--a holding of one's breath so as not to disturb a delicate scene. The railing not only directs our eye toward her, but it obscures her sexuality (as does the distortion of the water affecting her legs), so we begin to see her not as a beautiful woman in a pool but as a person in the midst of contemplation. The edge of the pool, the furniture, the body of water, and the far shore in the top of the frame all create pleasant lines that direct us toward the top right, toward the birds and the objects of her gaze.

If those aren't birds, well, whatever, most of those visual elements still work.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
Alain Delorme's series of Shanghai cargo cyclists and their tottering, totem-esque loads.

http://www.alaindelorme.com/?p=works&ga=totem

Not sure what these are shot on, but the processing is very interesting.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
Yes especially the mugshots of Matt Damon and Maeby Fünke??

But yes, those are really very nice. More please!

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
Some fantastic stuff in there, thanks for sharing.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
loving insane.

http://butdoesitfloat.com/1497786/It-s-very-very-dangerous-to-lose-contact-with-living-nature

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
If you click through to his site, he has a pretty interesting setup. It seems like very typical tourism-promotion material intermixed with his incredible landscape work. I'm sure it'll only help nudge you that much closer.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003

East Lake posted:

A few from Lewis Hine.

Shorpy!

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
I've been staring at Richard Mosse for the past week. Infra is just crazy.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003

Gazmachine posted:

I wasn't terribly sure where the best place to post this was, and I think it sort of fits here, but would anyone know a good place to peruse some awesome photobooks and works in that kind of format? I want to look over a load of great photobooks and look into what I like about them, as I'll be making one of my own, of sorts, at some point this year (when all the content is finished).

Try a library.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003

Been flicking through this one every other day since you posted it. Great stuff.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
Post more awesome.

Manolo Espaliú

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
Actual foliage will render pink, while anything simply camouflaged will not. Was used in reconnaissance, but seems like it's made Moss' career at this point. This isn't even particularly new material, but it's been goddamned everywhere lately. Can't get enough of it, though, and I'd kill to see the exhibition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
There's more on their flickr page. Just amazing.

Comet 67P on 4 November - NAVCAM by europeanspaceagency, on Flickr

• Locked thread