Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fbi2thegrave
Jul 19, 2004

why would you ever have that policy in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fbi2thegrave
Jul 19, 2004

Twenties Superstar posted:

I'm sorry I'm not going to reply fully to this, I have to go to work. I'm just going to say that maybe you aren't cut out for this whole art thing.

Uh, seriously? I read your above essay and I agree with what you're saying, but you're still wrong about that picture. It's terribly boring. In fact, I usually click through the last read on all the photo threads I read and I had seen this earlier and assumed it was in the "snapshot-a-day" thread, until the discussion went further and I realized I was in the "post awesome photos from other photographers" thread.

I know exactly what you mean about banality, and I've taken banal photos that are very intimate solely due to the fact that they are ordinary objects that express some sort of emotion or feeling, but that photo is not banality. It's just goddamn boring.

Fbi2thegrave
Jul 19, 2004

dreggory posted:

For those of you who think that photo is 'goddamn boring' I'm curious what your opinions are of work like this:

Not trying to jump into this argument in any way, I'm genuinely curious what your reactions are.

Disclaimer: I know very little about art besides photography

I'm with bottom liner on this one. I think there's a divide between photography and other types of art because inherently in photography you are limited by capturing something that is real (even if you edit it a lot or whatever), so the the way in which you portray emotions, meanings, or themes in photography are inherently understood by pretty much anyone because its things that they can conceivably see or, most of the time, things that they have seen. On the other hand, with art sometimes its esoteric and for that reason I don't think I really "get" some art.

That said, I think its interesting and it would make an interesting print to add some flair to a room but in terms of deeper emotions and feelings, I don't really see much in it.

Fbi2thegrave
Jul 19, 2004

god, so much vignetting

Fbi2thegrave
Jul 19, 2004

wow that last one is loving amazing

• Locked thread