Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
less_than_one
Aug 29, 2004

Some fantastic photos in this thread.

I finally got my thumb out and scanned my grandfather's collection of late '30s postcards from the US sent him by a friend or relative who had moved there. Too bad I can't ask him. They seem to be hand colourised photos, between 1937 and 1939. They made it all the way to good old pre-war, pre-commie Czechoslovakia. Most of the cards were never sent, maybe because of ze war?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hellcanwait/sets/72157623868186352/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less_than_one
Aug 29, 2004

RangerScum posted:

Are you sure these are photographs? There seems to be an extreme lack of detail but I guess that could come from how the artist colored them in.

Edit: I should say it is most noticeable in the first one.

I gave these a closer look and googled around some. Tthese are "C.T.Art-Colortone" linen postcards. A lot of them look like watercolours and all are pretty low-res/quality compared what's available today. The garish colours they are touched up with further add to the un-photographic quality. Still most of them are recognisable as photos rather than drawings, which I think makes them all.

I know this isn't really the thread for historical photographs/postcards, but I didn't know where else to put them...

Does anyone know any more about these? (see a lot of these around, but no info on how they were made, techniques used, etc).

• Locked thread