Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

brad industry posted:

I hadn't heard of him until recently but I think we both are both prolly drawing from the same source, and by the same source I mean Gregory Crewdson. (Can't help posting this, dude is my all time favorite photographer).

his one and only commercial commission to date (since someone already posted the Sopranos)

From his book 'Twilight':

Those are some lovely scans I highly recommend checking out the book in person.

I saw some huge Crewdson prints at the North Carolina Museum of Art, they are so much more awe-inspiring at tremendous size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

brad industry posted:

I couldn't find a mention of it on their site, is it still up? Or is it part of their permanent collection? I'm going to be in Charlotte next month, might have to make a road trip to Raleigh - I've never seen those prints in person.

Hmm, I'm not sure-- it's been a few years since I was there-- it wasn't many prints, just maybe two or three, I think. It may well have been a rotating/traveling exhibit.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I'm generally the same way (even with older people who do it, I've gone through a few such books [picked up by accident when pulling books at random from library shelves]), but I thought the photos from the series linked were actually pretty good.

I don't have the theoretical background to defend my stance on disliking most self-portrait series, it's just a gut reaction not really rooted in aesthetics.

Yeah I think it is the self-indulgence that shines through and is off-putting about people who spend a huge amount of time on self-portraits.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Bottom Liner posted:

Everything on that page reads like something from http://www.artybollocks.com/#abg_full

Mockery often belies ignorance. Those write ups are fairly descriptive and make sense with the images. Sometimes people take photos, or paint, or make sculptures, to express an emotion or a feeling or a thought, not to make money. You should try it sometime.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

xzzy posted:

Aww, that's a little disappointing. But reading up on the images it makes more sense what's going on.

Why is it disappointing? Do you leave every movie mad when you find out that they used special effects?

• Locked thread