Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Since there's been so much talk of Avedon, I'd just like to remind Bay Area Dorkroomers that the Avedon show at the MOMA closes on 11-29. If you haven't seen it yet, FOR SHAME. Hopefully I'm making a third visit tomorrow after work if the swine flu hasn't caught hold of me by then... :(

This is in the exhibit, and it's my favorite shot of his:

My Flickr Page! :nws:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Cecil Beaton.

I'm a sucker for nice B&W portraits.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

brad industry posted:

Bernd & Hilla Becher

The first show at Pier24 in SF had their series of water towers. With the subject matter that straightforward, you find yourself looking at them longer to find the differences.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

ZoCrowes posted:

Sarah Davis

I really, really like this a lot.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

red19fire posted:

For any other gluttons for heartrending, beautifully moving stories, there's this: http://vimeo.com/12562270 I was tearing up barely into the second minute. The depth of love that is possible between two people is so :unsmith:, it never ceases to amaze.

I think Danny is seriously the most naturally (and unpretentiously) eloquent person I've ever heard. He's like real-time poetry.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

General Gingersnap posted:

My perosnal opinion, your snide 'huh?' is unnecessary and I dont think it is too reaching.

I don't think he was being snide, dude.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

^^^^ :argh:

My Cakes are LOL posted:

e: never mind. I'm an idiot.

It was relevant when I typed it. :colbert:

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

TotalHell posted:

I don't believe Carl Burton has been posted in this thread yet. So here we go:

http://www.carlburton.net/gallery/

Just saw an exhibit of his at the Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts. Really nice stuff, and some great colors:

Click here for the full 1024x334 image.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Click here for the full 1010x1024 image.

Without getting into the usual debate on what looks pro or not, I'm having a real hard time being impressed by these. Just not seeing anything I haven't seen done a hundred times over by students... :/

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

TotalHell posted:

I honestly don't think the digital copies do them justice. The colors are quite vibrant, and he's got some excellent landscapes.

We also might just have different tastes in photography.

I don't think they're bad. They're certainly competent. They're just not so impressive (to me) to be noted as anything beyond decorative art. There's just nothing exciting about them.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

I hate to sy it, but it's been done before. And by Terry Richardson. Such a specific concept only works the first time you see it.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

guidoanselmi posted:

I couldn't find him (I think a him) in this thread, but I was trying to find a photographer who did elaborate compositions mixing different color temp lights. I remember there was one with a fluorescent lit bathroom projecting light into a dim tungsten lit bedroom.

don't know if that's too vague...

You're not talking about Gregory Crewdson, are you?

http://www.google.com/images?q=geoffrey+krewdson&rls=com.microsoft%3A*&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1&oi=image_result_group&sa=X

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Man, I really wish that orange sign wasn't so prominent in the background. It really takes me out of it.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Awkward Davies posted:

Now I can't un-see it, drat you.

Welcome to my world where nothing is good enough. :(

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

guidoanselmi posted:

why is that horse giving birth to a man?

That's a really cool looking picture and obviously the photographer has a huge amount of technical skill, but it just seems so overcooked. Why is a guy cleaning horseshoes obscured by smoke? It looks sort of forced.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Ok, well apparently I'm not up on my horseshoe visual cues. I thought they were getting cleaned. In that case, great shot! :shobon:

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

The SF MOMA did a Robert Adams exhibit a few years ago and it was the single most boring photo show I've ever seen. Well, in a proper venue, that is. It was his work with tree "portraits", I guess I'd say. The composition was dead on, the lighting and print quality were both super flat. Frankly, I didn't get what all the fuss was about.

I see through GIS that a lot of his other work is a lot more dynamic than the tree shots, but man, that show really left a mark on me, even now.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Hiroshi Sugimoto

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

That is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Henry Peach Robinson

Clifford Coffin

That first picture by Robinson is on display at the print room in the V&A in London. It's a composite of 4 different negatives.

• Locked thread