Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
Just click on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

Santa is strapped posted:

To my eye, it looks nothing like a point and shoot- the tonality, the sharpness, his post processing, the subject - no p&s can achieve this quality.

I think they can, why couldn't they? Not straight out of the camera, sure, but with a little editing, which I'm sure this photo has also undergone.

And it's not a terrible photo to me, but it does look semi-snapshottish. The composition is great, but you can totally rule of thirds a flower and it's still a flower. It's just a street, and some super-straight buildings.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

Yet if you look at other photos in his pool, this compositional skill you praise muchly is not evident, is not there. Has disapparated and I do wonder if perhaps, you are conjecturing things about a photo like your english teacher conjectured about a poet laureate who, like this photographer, had no other loftier ambition than to jerk off in his sock, so to speak.

It's a matter of opinion. And it's fantastic that this fellow managed to find some straight poles in China, and super fantastic he is using a 4x5 camera (really) but the photo, while being nice, and very straight, is just okay to me because when I look at it, that's all there is, there's no subtext. It's just as much of a snapshot as you can get with a 4x5 camera.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

http://www.willpearson.co.uk/

This guy gets me glistening pink wet split beaver horny.

And this:

http://www.willpearson.co.uk/virtual_tours/the_birds/

Is one of the best I've ever seen, although I admit, I don't want to look at it too hard because I don't WANT it to be crap.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

I would buy one if this happens. Modify it slightly, and give it a cool name like "soulstealer markII" or "Sun Dog".

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

Why does he have a gun pointed to his head? I know I'm just another Internet commentator, but the photo reminds me of those fake "intense" photos people take on flickr. like "okay, portrait idea, you look scared and I'll point a gun at you. it'll be a frighteningly true emotive picture."

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

This is why photography is good. This, and that feeling you get in your gut when you snap off a doozie.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

Fragrag posted:

And thank you for letting me segue into a photographer who I've been reading about the past evening, Andreas Gursky. A similar landscape photographer but he incorporates the people in such a striking manner, especially in the first three minutes of the video.

Andreas Gursky was my god until I went to an exhibition by him and now he is just. some. punk. and nothing more than that.

I find the idea that photography is super easy offensive. It isn't, everyone knows that. There's a guy who takes deep scuba diving pictures. He's good at that, and then merkley??? on flickr, I could go on, but people take photos that not in 20 years could I duplicate the awesomeness, and the skill behind. And the feeling.

But gursky has no skill. you can intimitate him with a disposable camera, with less arrogance. he cheapens photography, he's the reason why that hairy gently caress you have to work with snorts at your excitement over a photographic moment because he painted abstract in high school, 15 years ago, and nearly won award for it but didn't because his grades were too low because he was hooked on the pot.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

I can't see why it wouldn't happen with any mountain of extreme prominence. Like Japan's Fuji San. Probably any volcanic spire would do it. It would probably have to be, at the very least, touching the clouds and it would probably only last 5 minutes tops.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

I'll give to you that there are a few variables. The mountain of around 4000m prominence, a firm sky of cloud except on the low eastern or western horizons, There's no real mountains in Australia, but we get skies like that all the time: a sky of clouds lit up from east to west, both dawn and dusk. If there was something in the way of the sun, ie, a conical volcano that reached the clouds, it would totally cast a shadow.

On the other hand, maybe you and I live in geographical locations where clouds do that, and if I went somewhere else, maybe they don't. I've been to places where I haven't seen a cloud for over a month and the sun for over a week, and I can find no other photos of it happening elsewhere, just photos of people ON mountains shooting the shadows the mountain makes on top of the clouds. So maybe I'm being clueless.

These are pretty:

http://www.atoptics.co.uk/fz510.htm

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

He's using a ridiculous shutter time with a tiny aperture. Same as the guy with the wispy people leaving the train station. Like, medium format and a low asa film.

I think most awesome landscapes don't take much more than a little experimentation and a stupid amount of patience. A genuine capacity for time killing.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

Goddammit, I thought this was Dorkroom Discussion.

Helmacron fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 2, 2012

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

Spedman posted:

http://vimeo.com/m/67115692

Michael Stripe put me on to this, the Aerochrome photographer shooting in the Congo made a documentary/art piece all shot on colour IR film. Great interview with the artist too.

This is so loving sexy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

try it with a lime posted:

because you posted thomas kinkade's flickr account

when I read things you write, I imagine a man with a guitar string tied to a butt plug and his dick, trying to get a boner hard enough to strum a tune with.
why would you want to hate things that people want to love
is art just lovely opinions by assholes?
are you representative or a tainted outlier

• Locked thread