Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

Paragon8 posted:

I think what you're talking about is photographers capturing the voyeuristic tendency people have with celebrities - people would love to see a snapshot of Jessica Alba doing mundane poo poo like eat cereal. Just to see the celebrity stripped from all the trappings that accompany them everywhere else. It's that fantasy of seeing celebrities as they really are.

I would love to see a photographer satirize this trend and have well directed shots of Brad Pitt on the sofa eating KFC, or Megan Fox waiting for a bus.

I feel like the prevalence of invasive paparazzi and the willingness for modern celebrities to be a lot more open with their lives has ruined the intimacy that these behind the scenes celebrity snapshots had.

I think the idea of stripping celebrities and well known people of power and mystery is interesting. In Platon's World Leader project, one of the comments was that he would adjust a leader's shirt or a stray hair- even if they didn't need it- to remind these powerful leaders that they are just people and he is taking their picture. Perhaps that's one of the reasons that the work seems so human and relateable.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/multimedia/2009/12/07/091207_audioslideshow_platon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

Regression posted:

Does anyone mind extrapolating on why that image is good? I'm not really that experienced a photographer; is lining lamp posts up against buildings that great?

The picture is mainly about lines- the verticals of the buildings, the winding road, the telephone lines. The first 2 lamp posts lining up with the building edge create a harmony that helps draw my eye in, as do the other lines. The photographer has created a photo that I want to explore, yet my eyes keep getting 'trapped' towards the center with the tiny people and the tallest building. The image has a very pleasing geometry to it, one that was carefully planed by the photographer and not just a happy accident.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

I HATE CARS posted:

Hey Twenties Superstar you have always been my favourite CC/Dorkroom poster. Just sayin'.

I was going to say that. The number of times Brad or Twenties Superstar post a detailed critique of the merits of an image just to be shot down with 'that's just hipster art BS' or 'i disagree just because for no reason' really makes me wonder why they keep doing it.

• Locked thread