Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

plaguedoctor posted:

I get ya. I think my main thing was that it seems like a modern photograph, even though it's almost 30 years old.

And, thinking about it, he most definitely used a big lighting rig.

So, technically, I understand the photo. But I still think it's a badass picture. It seems like it mixes the usable parts of HDR tomfoolery with traditional portraiture and then a little bit of "something else".

But maybe I'm too stuck in the 80s.

It is a really cool photo. I'm guessing a high saturation/contrast slide film with lots of strobe and the shutter speed high enough to underexpose the ambient by 2+ stops. Neat technique. I use it on the occasional out door wedding shoot, works just as well with a DSLR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
Maybe a strip light over head and some black cards on the side?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Suicide Watch posted:

I don't know if you guys have seen this before.
Astronaut Suicides

Appropriate username. :stare:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Run, the empire is breaking our tables with AT-AT walkers and they are pink.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Bottom Liner posted:

I think the subject matter is very interesting, and technically they're fine, but the style is just like every art school portfolio I've seen in the past X years.

So what?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Bottom Liner posted:

Haha, ok? Just saying, it's good work, just that that style has been done a million times over. The look and feel of the photos just seems unoriginal to me because of what I've seen a lot of. No need to get hostile.

Yes, insult an entire school of aesthetic thought because you don't like it. No need to be hostile.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Crazy Goat posted:

Holy hell, the guy tastefully said he didn't care for them and expressed his opinion.

Some people need to calm down, it's not like he took a dump in your cereal.

What opinion? He said it's unoriginal but well done technically. He missed the point entirely. Maybe you should read up on the word banal before posting.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Bottom Liner posted:

I don't think those are banal at all. Gursky is banal. A photo of a random wall is banal. Those are well executed landscapes of an exotic location. That is not banal. Don't assume, and don't tell people not to post based on those assumptions.

Okay, don't post because you don't know what you are talking about. "Exotic locations" = stuff white people say about SE Asia.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Bottom Liner posted:

I love how you guys just post snide remarks instead of putting effort into coversation and a good discussion environment here. Why not contribute instead of being assholes about it? Get off your high horses. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, because we are the ones randomly talking poo poo about stuff we don't understand. Why don't you go make a whiny QCS thread about it? :getout:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
http://www.americanelegy.com/an-interview-with-tom-wik/

This guys work owns.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
More sweet lanscape stuff. I like the clean minimalist lines in "white noise" and "tunnels".

http://www.sandermeisner.nl/

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Eh, that stuff is 6x6 Dukeku is a 6x7ist.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Paragon8 posted:

Time to upgrade to a 5d3!

Or any edition of Photoshop with layers. Seriously, in camera multiexposures are hard. Those ones are done in post.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Santa is strapped posted:

These are not double exposures. They're reflections on a window. I remember reading about the photographer and I'm pretty sure he said they were reflections.

Makes sense.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

aliencowboy posted:

If you haven't seen it yet, check out the documentary on him, "Visual Acoustics".

edit: What kind of currently available films are out there that can achieve the same sort of colour cast as that last picture?

Try expired Reala and overexpose it a bit, I get similar colors out of it shot in my Rolleiflex.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Look at how awesome this dude http://www.flickr.com/photos/henriantoine/ I found on Flickr is:

Zugspitze, Wetterstein Mountains, looking East. March 2012 by Henri-Antoine, on Flickr

Sylvenstein Dam, Isartal, looking East. July 2011. by Henri-Antoine, on Flickr

Lauwersoog, de Marne, looking Northwest. July 2012 by Henri-Antoine, on Flickr

Schiermonnikoog, Wadden Sea, looking Southwest. July 2012 by Henri-Antoine, on Flickr

Amerongen, Utrecht Hill Ridge, looking East. September 2011 by Henri-Antoine, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Montalvo posted:

gently caress me, how do you even do that?!

With awesome.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Look at this loving photo. It owns.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Nov 1, 2012

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

InternetJunky posted:

If you're into wildlife photography you should check out this guy's site, especially the bird section:
http://www.pbase.com/christopher_schlaf

You know they are good photos because they have two watermarks and drop shadow borders.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I mean who would steal a photo with qeocites border on it? Seriously

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Well, that owns.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I'm sick of these dentist foxes buying expensive photo equipment and not having any clue how to use it. I mean, that isn't even the right end to look through.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Mr. Despair posted:

This, but ironically.

This and unironically.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

That is a rad as hell concept.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

xzzy posted:

Guess he should have packed a light meter.

:downsrim:

Charlie don't use no meter son. :clint:
(Man it must have sucked to be a GI named Charlie)

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Syrinxx posted:

Holy crap I just... how do I do this I will sell my soul

A guess would be Portra 400 on a 6x7 (probably a Mamiya 7) in good light, then a bit of post.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Look at how god drat good this series is http://davidbarryphoto.com/catskill

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Anyone looking for some sweet landscapes should check out this blog, http://newlandscapephotography.com/ . I swear I'm not just saying that because I was featured in his last update.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Whether you think artist statements are pretentious or not they are a thing that happens. Write one about your work and try to come up with something that isn't "me like pretty pictures". It's harder than it looks.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Bottom Liner posted:

That's a pretty dickhole assumption, especially since I actually do a lot of fine art and show in galleries and festivals in between paid jobs. Artist statements are usually bullshit and everyone knows it. Get over yourself. I like a lot of those photos and enjoy hearing the story behind the work, but a lot of that is wordy fluff.

I think you mean everyone in whatever tiny galleries and festivals you show stuff in thinks they are bullshit. The dude that runs that blog specifically asks for an artist statement pertaining to the project he is showing photos from. He actually rejected my first more general statement.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Bottom Liner posted:

I like how two others mocked the same thing and when I joke about it I get attacked specifically. What the gently caress dork room?

The other two aren't smug idiots that "do a lot of fine art" and "show in galleries"? I hope this statement was informative and and devoid of any flowery words that you don't understand.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

dukeku posted:

Bottom Liner, can I read a statement about your art? I'd like to hear something written by someone free of pretention.

Ed Ruscha.

These own.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

xzzy posted:

I could never make it as an artist, because my blurbs would be all "uh, I was walking around and I had a camera with me. I saw this cool thing so I took a picture of it. Then I pushed some sliders around in lightroom until it looked awesome and finally I uploaded it."

Start small. Write a few sentences about the thought process that led you to make a particular photo. Spending some time thinking about your work can only improve it.

EDIT: I need to delete entire sentences not try to rewrite them in place when I post.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 14, 2013

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Spime Wrangler posted:

At the same time if you can't explain it in language your mom can understand then you probably don't understand it well enough.

Sorry your mom isn't as literate as our moms bro. :snoop:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Musket posted:

"Because of the great zeal and devotion which I experienced in executing well the two pictures which His Highness commissioned me to make — the one being Christ's dead body being laid in the tomb, and the other Christ arising from the dead to the consternation of the guards — these same two pictures are now finished through studious application, so that I am now disposed to deliver the same and so to afford to His Highness. For in these two paintings the greatest and most natural movement has been expressed, which is also the main reason why they have taken so long to execute."

Or:

"Try to put well in practice what you already know; and in so doing, you will in good time, discover the hidden things which you now inquire about. Practice what you know, and it will help to make clear what now you do not know."

It could have been this too:

"A painting is finished when the artist says it is finished."

Pick one :snoop:

gently caress bitches, smoke trees, paint shadows.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Hey nerds, Gregory Crewdson: Brief Encounters is available for instant watch on Netflix and it owns.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Spedman posted:

I figure this is good place to ask this question.

I've been given some cash for my birthday to buy some photography books, and I was looking at hopefully picking up some more seminal type books from the big guys in photography. I have books from Martin Parr, Alex Soth, Diado Moriyama, Steven Shore, William Eggleston, Vivian Mayer and a couple of others I can't remember off the top of my head.

I was thinking about getting Robert Frank "The Americans", but I couldn't really come up with anything else easily, any suggestions?

Was going to suggest this http://www.amazon.com/New-Topographics-Brit-ed-Salvesen/dp/386521827X/ref=pd_sim_b_1 but saw it was out of print and $220. I'm just gonna go ahead and stop using my copy to hold a mouse pad when I edit on the couch now. :downsgun:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Not that I am aware of, maybe try a library?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Unnff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Musket posted:

http://scotthocking.com/detroitnights.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scotthocking/sets/

His site is full of paper, his flickr is also very interesting.

2b_222 by Scott Hocking, on Flickr

Cure by Scott Hocking, on Flickr

I used to park my ambulance in the lot behind the brick church on the left side of this photo.

• Locked thread