Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Walter Iooss is the best. He's shot many of the most iconic sports photos (portraits and action) that you've seen. Still a staff photographer for SI, still a badass.

http://www.walteriooss.com/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

JaundiceDave posted:

Art Kane

"Where Does the Wind Blow?"
Wow. Great example of how unimportant sharpness, grain, and drat near everything can be do a photo. It probably looks even better in print.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Paragon8 posted:

I think what you're talking about is photographers capturing the voyeuristic tendency people have with celebrities - people would love to see a snapshot of Jessica Alba doing mundane poo poo like eat cereal. Just to see the celebrity stripped from all the trappings that accompany them everywhere else. It's that fantasy of seeing celebrities as they really are.

I would love to see a photographer satirize this trend and have well directed shots of Brad Pitt on the sofa eating KFC, or Megan Fox waiting for a bus.

I feel like the prevalence of invasive paparazzi and the willingness for modern celebrities to be a lot more open with their lives has ruined the intimacy that these behind the scenes celebrity snapshots had.
I don't think that would be satire. It's the same thing. The photos are interesting only because of celebrity. Celebrity ACTORS no less, so it becomes even more difficult to ascertain any specific character quality.

Photos of celebrities, especially in "normal" situations, are the worst.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Well, gonna go kill myself now

Those are awesome.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Koth posted:

I just discovered Michael Wesely's work. He uses a large format pinhole camera he made himself to take exposures lasting up to three years.

He has some really beautiful images. These are the kind of images I would absolutely love to display on my wall.

Holy poo poo. That's an exercise in reciprocity failure for sure.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

atomicthumbs posted:

Alexandre Buisse did this. Look at dat tonality.
:suicide:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

taqueso posted:

I just an email back from Alexandre, he has some A2 posters of this photo available. :woop:
Did he say how much?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

taqueso posted:

20GBP plus shipping. My total was US $45 with shipping to South Dakota.

edit: I got this note from Alexandre if anyone is interested in some background information:
Nice. I snagged one of the prints, too. Thanks for that info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Helmacron posted:

Andreas Gursky was my god until I went to an exhibition by him and now he is just. some. punk. and nothing more than that.

I find the idea that photography is super easy offensive. It isn't, everyone knows that. There's a guy who takes deep scuba diving pictures. He's good at that, and then merkley??? on flickr, I could go on, but people take photos that not in 20 years could I duplicate the awesomeness, and the skill behind. And the feeling.

But gursky has no skill. you can intimitate him with a disposable camera, with less arrogance. he cheapens photography, he's the reason why that hairy gently caress you have to work with snorts at your excitement over a photographic moment because he painted abstract in high school, 15 years ago, and nearly won award for it but didn't because his grades were too low because he was hooked on the pot.
You should be embarrassed.

• Locked thread