Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax
One of my biggest interests is Underwater Photography and Norbert Wu just published some photos that he took of his diving in the Antarctic. I've taken some good shots with what I have but this just makes me just want to give it up because I doubt I will ever be this good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Paragon8 posted:

Incredible.

Underwater photography is the intersection of my two favorite hobbies, but I have no money to get started on it. I'm not sure I'd find either as fun if I did them at the same time.

I teach scuba diving for a living and if I'm not teaching and in the water I have a camera in my hand. I would kick myself if I ran across a whale shark or something like that and did not have my camera in my hands.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

brad industry posted:

Those are pretty rad, I've been wanting to do a shoot in a pool or something because water does such interesting things to light.

Jill Greenberg did a pretty sweet editorial for Radar with synchronized swimmers about a year ago.

This is spectacular. The colors just jump out.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax
I've been a musician and all around music freak since for as long as I can remember. It was actually the photography on the covers of a lot of those albums that originally got me interested in photography outside of underwater photography.

Richard Avedon's Beatles portraits started it all but what really drove it over the edge for me were Elliot Landy's photos of the Band for their first two albums

These photos might just speak to me so much because they are one of my favorite Bands of all time and their is so much romanticism surrounding Dylan and the Band in the late 60s. Either way they are some of my favorites.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Pompous Rhombus posted:

If it's Leibovitz, it almost definitely is.

This one grabbed me the first time I saw it, then again when it was on that 3-parter "best photos of 2009" linked previously. It's from a serious of photos shot along the North Korean/Chinese border with a telephoto (and extension tubes, I think).

Click here for the full 990x630 image.

Holy poo poo that's stunning.

My girlfriend is finishing up her BFA in Photography at Columbia College in Chicago. She's been a big influence on me as a photographer and has helped me make the transition from Underwater Photography to doing things topside. Anyway, she is finally putting her stuff up online and will hopefully have a website soon.

Here's some of her shots.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax
Justin Benzel

A mask to conquer entropy. The Universe finally in order whether it likes it or not

Probability is reversed; what is built strives to stay together.

Boredom begets desire to improve and recreate, but the Universe now conspires against those wishing to dismantle, interrupt, or turn off their creations.

The set is not finished yet and I know he is looking for feedback and critiques on his flickr.

Cassie Doumas

Sarah Davis

These are the people that taught me a lot about shooting so I am a bit biased.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

General Gingersnap posted:

Eli Reed is pretty amazing, he is my photography professor too!

Jesus Christ I wish I had a Magnum photographer to teach my how to shoot photos. I had to learn from the interwebs instead.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Fuzzy Cosmonaut posted:

Loving this poo poo, even though I usually hate fashion, fashion photography and vogue.

Why do you hate fashion and fashion photography?

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Paragon8 posted:

Fashion photography can be pretty hit or miss to be fair.

I was flicking through the latest Elle UK and the cover editorial was pretty mediocre. What made it worse is they spent two pages talking about how epic it was and how much went into flying out to Kate Hudson's villa and they ruined designer gowns by having her dive into a pool with them.

The actual editorial was four awkwardly framed pictures of a barely identifiable kate hudson in what might as well be a puddle.

However when fashion photography is at its best it really is exceptional. Like this -

NSFW:
http://www.sassisamblog.com/2010/08/10/abbey-lee-kershaw-vogue-italia-august/
lovely photography is lovely photography. The same can be said for landscape, portraiture, street and so on and so forth.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Paragon8 posted:

This is the truth :( - I guess I've just been noticing more lovely fashion photography because that's what I'm focused on.

Yeah since all I hang out with a lot of fashion photographers I tend to look at a bit more of it as well. I'm also a person that puts a lot of thought into my particular style and what I'm wearing so I am a bit biased.

Awesome fashion photographers. It's something of an obvious list but I am by no means a connoisseur.

Tim Walker

Peter Lindbergh

Rodney Smith

Richard Avedon

I'm a musician and a huge Dylan fan and this is one of the photos that got me interested in photography to being with. Hell it's a huge inspiration for me stylewise too. It hung above my bed for most of my high school days.

Scott Schuman (The Sartorialist)

Schuman is awesome because he goes against the idea of fashion being exclusive. He takes street photos of people that he finds to be dressed interesting. This includes people of all classes, colors and sizes. It's fashion egalitarianism.

ZoCrowes fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 24, 2010

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

I dont know, I find his usage of homeless people exploitative

Huh? I can only think of very few instances of homeless people being featured on the blog. Hell, I've taken pictures of homeless people before and almost always throw them a few bucks for letting me take the shot. I don't think there's anything exploitative about it. Exploitation is a real issue of course however I think trying to call Schuman exploitative is reaching.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

I think presenting homeless people in a fashion blog that is all about personal style and personal clothing choice is a little off. My perosnal opinion, your snide 'huh?' is unnecessary and I dont think it is too reaching.

I wasn't being snide.

I'm an anthropologist so I tend to look at personal style and clothing choice a bit deeper. Homeless people have a culture. Everything that a person wears right down to their underwear is a cultural indicator. In many cases people on the fringes of society, such as the homeless, put even more thought into what they are wearing than someone at societies core. Because they have to work or search harder for clothing they tend to wear certain items longer and as such some of those items tend to take on symbolic significance. I actually find it a bit demeaning to say that just because a person is homeless they don't give a poo poo about what they look like. Sometimes like things like a pair of shoes can be an enormous point of personal pride.

ZoCrowes fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 29, 2010

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Paragon8 posted:

Maybe that's the point he's trying to carry. That at the end of the day a homeless person can present as much style as someone in 2000 dollar boots.

Exactly. I was going to write a paragraph about it but you summed it up in two sentences. I really like Schuman precisely because he is egalitarian. He steps outside the runway and traditional fashion houses to just depict people he finds interesting. Whether that person spent $10, $10,000 or found them at a shelter it does not matter.

Even people in the most destitute of circumstances try to put forward a face for the world.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

No, of course they do. It comes off a little like a vaguely condescending attempt at humanization. It seems like Schuman is more concerned with this man's (likely circumstantial) style instead of, I don't know, his basic needs or how long it's been since he's had a meal. If I were in his shoes I would feel like a parody.

I don't necessarily disagree with everything you're saying & I'm not trying to argue. I'm just saying there is something about it that really upsets me :(

In many cases homeless people tend to like it when anybody even pays attention to them and treats them like a human being rather than just ignoring them outright or treating them as subhuman. Schuman tends to talk to his subjects and gets them to pose rather doing candid shots and probably gave the guy a few bucks. At least that's how I see it.

It can be argued that any kind of ethnography, war photography, disaster photography etc is exploitative. It's one of the major ethical dilemmas that a lot of social scientists and documentary photographers have to tackle. A lot of it boils down to the intent of the person doing the study or taking the photo. I don't think Schuman intended to be demeaning or exploitative.

I hope I don't come across as a jerkof or anything like that. The social sciences are one of my biggest interests so I tend to get fairly strident when talking about it.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

brad industry posted:

I like all these video experiments by photographers and seeing what they do with the limitations they have. Here's a short film by fashion photographer Alex Prager:

http://www.nowness.com/day/2010/6/10/683/bryce-dallas-howard-in-despair

I like this quite a bit. The way a lot of the shots are framed and with the camera movements it has a bit of a Hitchcock feel to it.

ZoCrowes fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 14, 2010

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Axel Serenity posted:

This hurts my eyes. This would be a much better photo without all the lovely processing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

drat, those are awesome.

The guy who shot those, Wes Skiles, was a good friend of my Dad's. They've been buddies since the early 80's. Wes passed away a few weeks ago diving off of West Palm.

• Locked thread