Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I dont wanna sidetrack the thread, so I'll just post a couple photographers I really like--

http://www.eugeniorecuenco.com/fichas/301.html

http://www.pacoperegrin.com/main.html

somnambulist fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 30, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I've been a fan of Brooke Shaden for a very long time, but I am in LOVE with this one

in and of earth by brookeshaden, on Flickr

The powder thing isn't new, but her execution and the shape of the cloud made my jaw drop. Awesome.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

That photo is awful. Super shallow depth of field that makes it painful to look at and the thing that dominates the photo is completely out of focus. I get what they were trying to do but it wasn't very interesting to start with.

I think the point of the photo was to make the gator look like a part of the landscape. (its not a super great photo but its interesting)

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Oprah Haza posted:

Yeah, that is horrid. I have no idea how that wasn't pointed out before publication.

These photos are pretty awesome.

http://www.eddieobryan.com/2010/10/10/girl-with-umbrella/
http://www.eddieobryan.com/2010/10/18/tree-on-hilltop/

Goddamn. o.o

I LOVE the umbrella one. So so so much.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

This is horrifying but very interesting. I can't stop staring. I feel really weird looking at these images. o.o

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Sludge Tank posted:

This guy > http://www.flickr.com/photos/51321042@N02/

Peter Hill

Some really amazing digital photography in there. Kinda high tech but really effective

oh god, this rear end in a top hat. Everytime I see him post on 500px, I start crying at how bad I am. I love his work.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

jackpot posted:

Russian lady's been all over my facebook lately, makes my kid pictures look like dogshit. Mostly shoots kids, dogs, and bunnies.

More: http://www.flickr.com/photos/75571860@N06/page1/

Man, her processing is amazing. I want to learn her workflow.

somnambulist fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 28, 2014

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

BrosephofArimathea posted:

I unironically love Brooke Shaden's work. And she seems nice and genuinely passionate about making her arts, if a bit wrapped up in the whole ~*foLLoW yOuR dReAmZ*~ that seems to be a common theme amongst the creativelive/seminar selling crowd.

Same. I even took a workshop from her. While the style is getting a bit tired (there's only so many things you can levitate and put in your hair) she is an expert on planning a shoot, drawing inspiration from your surroundings and post. I really like her workflow and attitude. She's an artist.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

dukeku posted:

There's plenty of garbage artists in the world, Brooke Shaden included.

This is stupid. It's one thing to call an artists work not your thing, i get that, not every style is going to appeal to everyone. But are you going to tell me with a straight face these arent good photos?

the falling of autumn darkness by brookeshaden, on Flickr

hiding fragments of the future by brookeshaden, on Flickr

And if you listen to her talk, she never tries to be more then what she is. She simply enjoys surrealist photography and she doesnt hide the fact its manipulated or fake. She has a concept and she shoots it.

We take images of banal things all the time and label it as art, so i dont know why a girl who understands composition, color, and concept isnt an artist.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

William T. Hornaday posted:

That's fine. But a lot of other people read and post in this thread and most of them probably aren't concerning themselves with catering to what you (or anyone else) specifically want to see.

If you like it, cool. If you don't, ignore it. This seems simple enough.

At least someone gets it. I dont want this thread to turn into a back and forth every time someone posts something that appeals to them. Some people dont find editorial photography interesting, why piss in their cheerios when they post that? A lot of people like Brooke Shadens work, and because the photography police on this forum hate it isnt going to change those opinions.

Anyway, I just wanted to clarify, im done discussing this.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

RangerScum posted:

My challenge to you is to tell me why it is a good photo.

Before I get into why I think its a good photo, I want to say I dont find Brooke Shaden to be the glorious beam of greatness that you might think. I can name dozens of photographers off the top of my head that I find to be much better then her. However, I do find her work awesome in that she has an appreciation for details, color theory, and composition that a lot of these flickr knockoffs seem to lack. Her ideas are pretty creative sometimes, and she often makes little stories that go along with them (she majored in writing and not photography) and I like the narrative and seeing concepts come to life. Are some of them awful? Yes. Are some of them cheesy? For sure. Are some of them very good (to me)? Yup. I love some of them, including that fall leaves one.

The picture you're asking me to defend has beautiful tones, a story, and attention to detail. The dress is coming off her shoulder, she pays attention to things like that. It reminds me of a Del Toro film and its the kind of surrealism I gravitate towards. I dont find the images of her pulling on a rope underwater with fake bubbles coming up to be interesting either, but she just likes to experiment. Sometimes its successful, sometimes its not. The Gregory Crewdson work you're showing me is more interesting to me too, but it's apples and oranges. Completely different styles, and it actually bothers me that people point the finger at Brooke Shaden because she's teaching classes on how to be inspired and creative. Her workshop wasnt "hey lets make this chick fly! Floating people are so cool!" She isnt teaching her bag of tricks in an attempt at having everyone copy her style, she is just teaching you how to think for yourself and to go into a scene while asking questions on making things interesting. "Should her arm be bent this way?" "Should we move the fabric to draw interest?"

Sure, a lot of people go to those workshops because they have no creativity and want to pay hundreds of dollars to make a picture that gets a lot of likes on flickr. That isn't Brookes fault. I'm not going to call Monet a lovely impressionist because some people call themselves painters and make lovely work.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

365 Nog Hogger posted:

You didn't really touch on why you think it's a good photo, though. Is it just that it vaguely reminds you of other things you like? Is it only the craft of it?

I....dont know how to answer your question. She said she made this photo when she moved and was going through a lot of changes, so the leaves changing colors represented that change, thats a really cool concept to me. It's literal, but it looks beautiful. I like the position of her arms, I like how the dress drapes off her shoulder. I like the tones and mood of it. I already mentioned it reminds me of a del toro film and the kind of thing you'd see in a dream. The floor draws interest and leads my eye around the frame.

What else do I really need to say? I could see something like this at a gallery printed large and it would probably look really neat.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I mean I get it to some degree. I understand how someone like brooke shaden would be targeted because people associate images like this to her

Untitled by Kyle.Thompson, on Flickr

I understand how silly it gets. But I do feel like Brooke puts out some great work too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

drat, this is awesome.

• Locked thread