Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Miso Beno posted:

Now that wasn't so hard was it? You can't seriously expect someone to change their behavior by telling them they suck (or their work is empty, less than garbage, etc) and then walking away. That's not useful or constructive and it sure as hell doesn't help me stop taking photos that are lackluster.

I'm new to this food photography business and for the past two or so years I haven't really had any solid critiques for my other work so I was hoping that I'd start getting some good direction from you guys. I have great access to props, facilities, and food preparation skills and I would really like to do them justice.

cake-or-something-2 by miso-beno, on Flickr

Justice #1, remember to check your horizons. Ive noticed that you seem to forget this in some of your photos. It throws everything off and thats really all i end up focusing on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

I'm sorry I'm not posting the sort of pictures food pictures you seem to enjoy! I'll try to think inside the box some more next time.

:thumbsup:

did you just issue mediaphage a fourth meal challenge? :snoop:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

mediaphage posted:

Waiting for the SH/SC post, "So I spilled some gravy...."

modsass.

Also that isnt something SH/SC would troubleshoot, you see its an audio receiver.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

SoundMonkey posted:

What are you talking about, all servers these days have 15-pound toroidal transformers, banana jacks on the back, eight giant capacitors, and almost no visible ICs.

:911:Windows NT4:911:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Miso Beno posted:

Here are some empty photos. Hope I did this right Reichstag!

Subversive food thing I guess by miso-beno, on Flickr

What's a Horizon? by miso-beno, on Flickr

What is a horizon, indeed. Do you bother to even check your lines?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Hope I did this food thing right.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

SoundMonkey posted:

I can't even goddamn imagine what the water looks/smells like after doing that.

Ricky's bathwater. :snoop:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

which easter candy is that last one?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Reichstag posted:

Caramel filled Russel Stover bunny.

gonna buy the poo poo out of them now, fred meyer after easter candy liquidation.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

I thought Hot N Now went out of business!?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Untitled by Ashade76, on Flickr

Cinco De Mayo happened.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
one shameful ricoh salad.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

rio posted:

1) seems flat
in 2) the angle doesn't seem right to me
in 3) I got some sort of weird shadow going on
in 4) I wanted to show off the fruit so went f 2.8 but should have gone around 4 or 5.6 to get it all in focus for a better photo.

Thanks for the instagram update brah. Next time skip the photos and just enjoy the food and company. :snoop:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Reichstag posted:

Toasted challah with strawberry jam and Gorgonzola. Stinky cheese is love. <3

Downright shameful if that isnt at the very least, homemade freezer jam. :colbert:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

mdtyson posted:

Why is the discussion of art and such discouraged in this thread? Why is no one attempting to subvert the general aesthetic in the weddings or concert thread? As a fledgling commercial food photographer I'd like to have a thread in which my skills can be honed instead of mocked for not attempting high brow art. It seems everyone with similar interest is discouraged by Reichstag and others who bully-curate this thread into their own version of food photography because they got upset when the masses took to Instagram and overshadowed their filtered high brow with filtered food.

I don't mean to be disrespectful to Reichstag, his photos have just as much weight as any, but I've seen a lot of talented food photographers give up posting because their photos were met with scorn. There is nothing wrong with wanting to take a photograph that could grace the cover of Bon Appétit. I was under the impression that fostering artistic skill what this sub forum was about.

Post in PAD then. Its where people intentionally ask for crits and where people like me who will mock your "art" are usually probated.

It would help if there wasnt some closed minded thinking about art as it is. Just because someone doesnt get it, doesnt mean its not art. Subjective opinions and all. The discussion rarely stays civil and usually goes more to MY KID CAN DO BETTER direction than about actual conversations as to how the author arrived at their end result. It also doesnt help that people may not have thick skin when it comes to getting crits. There has been some talent ITT that was ruined by not having attention to minor details. They get all caremad about having it pointed out and then ragequit.

As for being caremad at the explosion of foodtography, I personally aint. Most of the foodtography I see is more of a humblebrag than about art.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

SoundMonkey posted:

The first is close enough.

Also while it is of course not a mod sanctioned challenge I'd love to see Reich attempt mainstream commercial food photography :v:

whose to say his work isnt mainstream commercial? :snoop:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

Deschutes Black Butte Porter.

_5220137.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

_5220142.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Thank you for supporting my local brewery! If you can, try the Chain Breaker. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/63/68942

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

DSCF0829.jpg by Ashade76, on Flickr

Wasabi Bloody Mary.

DSCF0865.jpg by Ashade76, on Flickr

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

LAchristus posted:

I myself am a commercial food photographer, and mostly I enjoy this thread. But I sometimes get annoyed with the amount of snapshots people post. Some people hate on people who instragram gorgeous food and adds a filter (and makes active choices and effort on how the make it look good). But in this thread a lot of people just post - what seems to me - rather random pictures of the food they just ate. If you wanna just show what you just ate, go to I bring a camera to the loving TABLE! (What did you cook last night?) in GWC

Don't get me wrong, I am not directly hating what has become the 'Reichstag' style - I would just love that this thread had more pictures where an effort was put into it! I myself would love to critique and help on the commercial stuff.

And I do think you can accomplish a mixture of the crazy art photo and the deliciousness that food photo can offer. And here is, what to me, is a legit proof of that.

http://www.gatherjournal.com/
http://reneriis.com/#/PORTFOLIOS/FOOD%202/1/thumbs

Maybe I just care to much about food photography..

If you want serious internet jerks such as us to crit your food pics, post em in pad where its mandatory that crits be handed out without fyad style lulz.

Who are you to say that some of the food pictures are not effort shots? Im honestly curious.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

dukeku posted:

I'll think of this the next time I'm trying to make something look unappealing.

Those all look like the bad food photos ive seen in my Oma's Betty Crocker cookbook (1965).

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
The next leap in food photography is going to be the After shot. Takin photos of poops in toilets. With red/warm lighting, of course.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

Beer is p. much food.

P6290204.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

All that is missing from this is a Frito Pie.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

KingsPawn posted:

My hand at modern food photography. Really like everyone's stuff. Cool shots and everything.

Ketchup does not belong on a hotdog. Ever. :colbert:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

KingsPawn posted:

If as a kid you've never enjoyed a cooked, chopped up hotdog with ketchup, you've seriously missed out! It's too bad that the hotdog wasn't Nathan's, otherwise it would have been Nathan meets Nathan. Also, I should mention that I captured that shot at a local Food Truck in my area. It was a fun experience and, if you ever have the chance, go to one.

gently caress food carts, eat at Red Robin erryday.

But really, ketchup on a hotdog is not good. Save your ketchup use for your well done steaks. Mustard supremacy :toot:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

05/04/03, Lake Oswego by Ashade76, on Flickr

Not seen across the street: ambulance with lights off cuz a lady across the street in the apartments died of old age, hes eating and watching them load her into the back.

Musket fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 21, 2013

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

SpoopyMonkey posted:

I present to you my latest works.

"Dimmer Rolls"

"Dimmer Rolls III"

Stop Eating Tony Roma's Select Frozen Starters appetizers.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

"Bread"

05/04/2003, Lake Oswego by Ashade76, on Flickr

Musket fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 30, 2013

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Toilet Salsa, Portland by Ashade76, on Flickr

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

I bought that exact breakfast at Trader Joes today. Lookin good.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Bud posted:

Pho Grand is pretty drat good.

We dont do storebought around here.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

A true broiler in action.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Got me some 4th meal lastnight:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Whitezombi posted:

did you please recycle this bag?

And the food inside.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Frozen Pizza, Portland by Ashade76, on Flickr

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

David Pratt posted:

For a second I thought this was rhetorical hyperbolic absurdity then I remembered someone here really made that photograph.

:snoop: should see the behind the scene picture I sent Autism Adams :snoop:

I think for my next toilet food shot, it might be either Poutine or Pho related. This time, no 48 inch umbrella, gonna grid that poo poo in the dark.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
I lied:

Pickled Eggs, Portland by Ashade76, on Flickr

Pickled Beet Eggs with Mustard Seeds and Paprika, followed by Unfiltered Corn Whiskey and a 2014 Pabst Blue Ribbon.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

8th-snype posted:

I didn't know that beets hatched from eggs.

Shut up and come visit and have some. Ill pay.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

SoundMonkey posted:

An excellent year.

When it comes to PBR, fresh is best.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Well tbf, here in Beervana, its still belgian season. I dislike most belgian beers. Bring on the late spring/early summer beer seasons, I need my crystal wheats already. PBR is what gets drunk during beer-offseasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Tillamook Special Reserve on rustic bread, Portland by Ashade76, on Flickr

• Locked thread