Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Hi Goons! While I'm not going to ask for funding, I would highly appreciate a simple vote cast for a commercial I made:

http://windiecityshootout.com/vote/

It's the one entitled "Edward Zimmermann", and it's a tongue in cheek reference to the use of archetyp--oh just watch it.

Thanks!

...I didn't understand what it was a commercial for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

It's for a 72 hour film race. My idea was to make a few of them, each portraying a common archetypal character (Gruff Protagonist, Flighty Love Interest, Sniveling Henchman), but I got distracted by other things. Thanks for checking it out at least! :)

Which isn't a bad idea at all, but if that video wasn't on the page describing what the contest was for I would have absolutely no idea what I was looking at. There needs to be a marriage of your idea and something indicating what it was for.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Not my project at all, but this is my favorite Kickstarter video ever:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1036103400/forest-fortress

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

vencha posted:

Figured I'd post my upcoming film's kickstarter here to see what people think.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/279069984/king-feature-length-film

The film is about a rich old man gathering his family together for the first time in decades to get to know each of his children and grandchildren a little better and decide who he wants to leave his money with. He wants to give all of it to the one he deems most deserving and this sets everyone in the family off and things just get worse from there.

If you want to see a short teaser trailer, check out the video in the kickstarter. There is also an interview section afterward where you can see my awful speaking skills and laugh at that if you don't get anything out of the rest of it!

I am the writer/director, and we have a film crew that is all very talented and passionate about pushing each other to be as ambitious as possible with this film.

Our visual strategy is built around a combination of the elaborate re-framing techniques in films like Goodfellas and Thirst in place of fast cuts, as well as aesthetic stylings from films like The Shining and Bronson.

If anyone is interested in seeing any of our other work, two shorts we have made can be found here:

The Historian (11 Min): http://vimeo.com/37154806
A deliberately paced horror short about a young girl who finds a dead body delivered to her doorstep.

Chrysalis (30 Min): http://vimeo.com/35273861 Password: todaystheday
A dark comedy/drama about a man looking for someone to love and start a family with. In the meantime, he flashes people in public places to help with his sexual frustrations. This was meant to be a very neutral presentation of a character with a dark side, he is both a good person and a miserable, awful gently caress-up at the same time. If you've seen Todd Solondz work, it was very inspired by his film Happiness.

Anyway, a huge thanks to anyone who checks any of this out! Feel free to ask any questions of me here, via pm, or on our kickstarter. Any feedback/criticism is welcome as well, as I'm trying to do everything I can to improve myself and our work.

This looks interesting, but please, dear god please...get some lights and a real gaffer. If you're going to shoot at those locales and try to depend on lush visuals, you need actual lighting and somebody that knows how to quickly wield them. Just shooting with a DSLR at normal light won't cut it.

Other than that, it looks intriguing. Almost a darker, reversed, Royal Tenenbaums.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

vencha posted:

Definitely. We have a very solid gaffer for the actual shoot, and will be doing test shoots and tech scouts specifically for lighting. It's really unfortunate the teaser can't convey that more but there were a few snags we ran into with time, the location we used for the teaser, not being able to get most crew available for the teaser, as well as myself not having more money to get the place we wanted to shoot in.

Thanks for the interest! I really appreciate it.

Also I'll throw the HD teaser on my other post. We're shooting on a RED Scarlet and we're super excited about that.

Nice! We just shot on the RED Epic for the first time (we have a ONE but had sent it off for upgrades). It's interesting getting a camera like that the day of the shoot. Lots of trial by fire.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I think it's a good idea to be a little wary of crowd sourcing at the moment just because it seems to be on an upswing and you'll have a combination of scammers plus people that don't realize what they're getting into sort of poisoning the well.

However I don't think that should discourage people from putting new projects out there, but I definitely agree with Cody (screw you for stopping Lady Tiger updates by the way). A $90,000 opening scene is just the wrongest way to go about this. What are you going to do with that once you've filmed it? By the time you get around to filming anything else, assuming success, that opening scene will be pretty much worthless for the most part. Raise money for a proper pre-production process or hell raise money for a $100k film. It's possible. But if you're raising money for an expensive rear end proof of concept that only covers once scene, then you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

What about a $90,000 seriously high production value short film that covers some themes and tones you wish to cover in the full length feature? That's a much more rich investment.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The Littlest Man posted:

Howdy everybody. My band Blame Sydney is planning on releasing a new EP and a bunch of new merch in the near future. So we've started a Kickstarter campaign to get things rolling. We feel like we have some pretty cool stuff lined up for donors and are almost half-way to our goal. With your support we'll get there in no time. Any help at all, even suggestions/comments, are welcome and appreciated.

A little background: we've been together for almost 4 years now and are one of the biggest ska bands in Alabama. And as cliched as it sounds we don't care all that much about making it big or becoming famous. We just want to put out fun ska/punk music, with a Southern'ish blend. The t-shirts, stickers, and other stuff we make help to fund our travel and recording expenses.

Over the last year or so, however, the local venues we frequented closed shop, leaving us with limited options for funding our music. With two albums out and a ton of songs ready to be recorded we took to the Internet and Kickstarter to help us get our stuff out to anyone who wants it. We're asking for $1,500 to cover the cost of a 5 song EP, t-shirts, buttons, and stickers for donors. As of this writing we're up to about $700 with 36 days to go!

For a sample of our music, check out our reverbnation page here

And last but not least, the link to our Kickstarter is here

That video is way unbalanced in audio and almost blew my ear our which just makes me mad and close the tab right away. Might want to fix that.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Maluco Marinero posted:

So what do you think? And how can I improve it?

So right off the bat I love the concept. The video and prototype website are rough beyond measure, but I'm able to see through it to the true usability. And that, like you mentioned, is the ability to have an almost stream of conscious entry of information that is intuitively parsed by the program. It's almost a little code-esque. It took me very little time to get the hang of it.

In terms of presentation you absolutely must get somebody to help you with the video and website. Both are a mess which get in the way of the true potential. I don't know what you can do to fix that. Do you have any friends with better cameras? Use better angles. Raise the camera up so you're not looking down at it. Get the lens eye level. Redo the shots from different depths...wide/medium/close-up and cut between those as you're editing. That way you're visually breaking up the rhythm while you're delivering large amounts of narration. It makes it easier to digest. Edit out the bits of you walking to the camera to stop it from recording (and similar things). Just make that tighter.

The website I can't help you with, but it doesn't even feel functional. Partly because there doesn't seem to be a lot of compartmentalization. I mean there is technically, but the site visually is just objects floating on a white background and it becomes hard to figure out where you are, how to get back to where you came from, and what parts are actually functional on the page your visiting.

The idea is solid. I'd focus on the ease of use of entering info and having the system parse it for you. Show that more. Do some compare and contrasts to other systems. The split view design (code/design) you have going is nice to.

I'm rambling at this point but..presentation presentation presentation!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Maluco Marinero posted:

Also, just ignoring the above advice, is the idea and pitch convincing enough that you would pledge for it? You personally. I understand that my presentation has a very long way to go, but am I showing enough that you believe I'd be able to deliver what I'm promising?

I would donate, yeah. I think it's strong enough as a concept and you've shown you have some programming skills. Honestly though to succeed, you'll probably have to develop this as an extension to existing programs. It will be hard to pull people away from entrenched ecosystems like Apple, MS Outlook, Google Calendar/Docs etc. If you can tie this into those systems I think it'd be great.

As far as the kickstarter video goes...if you end up not being able to get a good camera (and don't forget you can always rent from sites like borrowlenses.com) then I'd ditch the video portion and stick with audio over a captured presentation.

Also slow it down a bit in the demo...it moves too fast.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Maluco Marinero posted:

I'm going for it! Thanks so much to BonoMan, Jalumibnkrayal, and Oh My Science for all the great feedback that's made this pitch so much better than what it started as.

I'm building a productivity application that makes your note taking much more powerful. Rather than having a different interface for notes, calendars, and tasks, you can manage the whole lot using plain text; meaning you can keep your hands on the keyboard and stay focused, getting it organized faster. Here's a demo video:

http://youtu.be/NLT0TlCm5SU

You can try the prototype at http://elephantneverforgets.com.au as well, it's an offline application so none of your data leaves your computer. I want to take what's in the prototype and build it up into a full service that covers desktop and mobile with sync and backup between the two. The crowdfunding campaign I'm running on Pozible will give me enough of a cash reserve to work on it full time to completion, as well as covering development costs, hosting and so forth. Also, it's a Fixed Funding campaign so no IndieGogo dodginess here.

Anyway, check out the campaign at http://pozible.com/elephantneverforgets, please pledge if you can, or share it around if you can't. Thanks heaps!

Awesome, congrats! Just sent a pledge.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Brown Moses posted:

Yep, just updated it with those quotes and now it looks awesome

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1278239551/219840965?token=6237fc8e

Something up? I can't access the KickStarter.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Well this is our project. I mean technically it's a buddy of mine's, but I'll be helping out on it pretty extensively.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/799102000/bloom-4

It's a sci-fi short called Bloom. It's a subtle emotional piece about a dying breed and planet. Humanity is in orbit around the earth which is becoming increasingly barren and the birth rate amongst humans in orbit is declining. Folks are chosen by a lottery to be sent to the surface to run both physical tests for plant life rehabilitation and emotional studies on why the birth rate is declining.

We're all experienced enough to get it done and do it well.

edit: The video has a basically a project intro and then a little teaser.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 25, 2013

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

PayPal is the loving worst. I just dumped them for Serve (I've been a longtime AmEx holder though so I like keeping it all in house). Glad to see you might get some resolution.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Reo posted:

The Kickstarter I was seeking an artist for has launched! The project is for a convention-themed card game called Con Quest! Basically, if you go to any cons, or are just geeky at all, you will love this game. It puts the random places, people, and events you encounter at conventions together in hilarious combinations.

The awesome art is being done by fellow goon redcheval. Thanks for checking it out!

This is actually pretty drat clever. Although it seems to be maybe too chill? I get that it's sort of an "explore" game, but it doesn't really feel like there are real goals and risks. You mention some optional rules... are there some that add a bit more of a competitive game nature to it?

On a completely different note, an artist friend of mine did a Kickstarter for his game and I shot his interview portion of the video for him (first time I had ever recorded audio directly to my D600 and holy poo poo that was a bad idea). He had a goal of $15k and I thought that was a bit much, but goddamn he hit $53k when all was said and done. Impressive!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1641418217/cross-hares-testing-ground-new-board-game-from-1a?ref=live

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Remember those Mississippi kids that did that shot for shot remake of Radiers of the Lost Ark in the 80s? Well they're reuniting after 25 years to do a pickup scene (plane explosion) and a documentary on the whole endeavor that garnered a lot of attention. They're about halfway through to their $50k goal.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/raidersguys/raiders-guys-and-the-lost-airplane-scene

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Cheap Shot posted:

I'm a bit late for posting here but there's about a week left in my Kickstarter so here we go.

I'm doing a tabletop RPG system called Broken World. It's post apocalypse set and designed for ease of play and low restrictions on creativity. Good for new players, or people who like fun. Doing a really high quality hard-cover art book for it. Check it out!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1601691240/broken-world-a-post-apocalypse-tabletop-rpg

I don't play table top RPGs, but this art is fantastic. Very Klasky/Csupo with a post apocalyptic bent. I might pledge for the book alone!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
This isn't our project, but we made the video for them:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1494355155/back-the-booster?ref=video

Back the Booster - The first stage of Saturn V rocket for the cancelled Apollo 19 mission is just sort of wasting away in NASA's Michoud Assembly facility in New Orleans.
NASA has agreed to permanently loan it to the INFINITY Space Center in Mississippi, but moving that gigantic sucker (and building the appropriate museum infrastructure to hold it) is a pretty monumental and expensive feat!

Thus this Kickstarter was born.

edit: Apparently it's a Kickstarter Staff Pick now so yay!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

Howdy,

Last year I ran a couple of Choose Your Own Adventure style games in GBS (Sword of the Bastard Elf and Void Racers) which were pretty popular in GBS. I was using the name Gilganixon then. Anyway I decided to write a full gamebook and after getting it to a polished draft I've put it to Kickstarter. The idea is to raise money for illustrations - I'm going to do half of them and an extremely talented Goon artist is going to take on the other half if I can pay him.

The book's called Star Bastards and it's a sci-fi adventure set in a distant and weird part of the galaxy. You play as either an incomprehensible Polish space explorer on the run from the law or as the police officer tasked with bringing him in. It looks a bit like the old Fighting Fantasy gamebooks although the game mechanics are different. It weighs in at the traditional 400 paragraphs and the slightly less traditional 100,000 words and will have at least 24 full-page illustrations. The kickstarter is for a digital download version only.

Here's the front cover of the book:

Please have a look at the kickstarter page and if you can get past the ropey video (it's really not my thing and I only did it with intense reluctance) maybe you'll find a project worth backing there. I'd sure appreciate it!

Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/678938810/star-bastards-a-two-fisted-fantasy-gamebook#project-faqs

And here are the links to my CYOA threads for anyone interested:

Sword of the Bastard Elf

Void Racers

Who did the art for the "Friendly locals in Star Bastards" concept art pic? Because that should be the art all the way throughout.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Hey! Our sister company's second kickstarter (well third technically, but second big one) has gone live. A tabletop game based on Who Goes There? The novel(la?) that inspired the The Thing.

Not Mondo's game :colbert:.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/certifiablegames/who-goes-there

I can answer any questions you might have hopefully and can walk across the parking lot and ask the Certifiable dudes if needed.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Alan Smithee posted:

Just make sure it's different enough from The Thing boardgame. I was a bit disappointed in that but more because my expectations were out of whack.

It is pretty considerably different from what I understand (and is already out there and being played).

Also they're about to wrap up their latest kickstarter: D6

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/certifiablegames/d6/

Dear god we/they (I get pulled in during crunch time) produce so much content for these Kickstarters. Just scroll down that campaign page. Goddamn.

Also they get a significant amount of community involvement. They have a pretty decent groupie following and the projects end up with lots of updates and thousands and thousands of comments.

Are there other kickstarters that have really in-depth campaigns and community involvement?

The big million dollar + ones I've pledged have had not super involved communities.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Impressive stuff... is it all 100% your own illustrated/made elements?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

c062785 posted:

I hope this ok to post here...

I'm the founder of a new video platform called, Kill TV, and we're looking for SA members who might be interested in helping us grow this community.

Right now we're throwing the 'Pre-Load' event, where users can sign up and upload content to our servers. For a video tutorial on our systems and how everything works, go to the following link and click the 'play tutorial' button above the form : https://killtv.me/signup

If any of you know a better thread for us to post our info or think other members may be interested, please let me know!

We're really looking for our first adopters and we believe there is a strong synergy between SA groups and Kill TV.

Thanks for viewing, open to any feedback or questions you may have!

**WARNING : THIS SITE IS FOR 18+ ONLY. IT IS NOT FOCUSED ON SEXUAL CONTENT BUT IS A SITE FOR ADULTS ONLY.**

I don't know what the hell this is but your promo video has a real clip of a dude getting beaten up on the street by a group of people as if you thought that was somehow a selling point. No thanks.