Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I always liked the vocal audio, despite how drag and drop it probably was to put together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmnCJ9RFMqw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

You know, I'm only really a fan of the originals (as well as 9-10), and I never gave MM6 a fair shot until today. I REALLY like it! I used to think that it was kind of a depressing cash-grab of a game, seeing as how late it came out in the NES' life cycle, but it's totally solid!

The Rush abilities are my favorite. I love that they have (sort of) infinite energy.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Mr. Locke posted:

Well, it was more Mega Man in a time where Mega Man was a licence to print money, so it was a depressing cash-grab. It just happened to be a depressing cash grab that resulted in one of the better games in the classic line of the series, probably the 3rd best in the collection and 4th best overall. It avoided a lot of the stage design pratfalls 4 and 5 fell into design wise and just released a well-made, great little platformer.

I of course appreciate all of the precedents set by MM1, but overall, I'd take 6 over 1 any day. Honestly, 5's probably the weakest one, but I doubt I'm saying something new to any of you here.

JustJeff88 posted:

To this day I still love the Rush Jet suit, and there is a very tricky jump in the first Wily Stage that, to this day, I still have not made successfuly. I shall never know what awaits down that corridor.

Which jump is this? Does it involve falling down, and having to float to the right to break a cracked block?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

. You can't put an actual person in a Mega Man costume and not have it look goofy as hell. And that's not even getting to the Robot Masters and enemies.

:colbert:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Weird, I'm playing through MM5 for the first time in years, and I'm in Wave Man's stage. Everything's normal, until I get to the bubble section.

I haven't been following this thread so this has most likely been mentioned before, but goddamn, the bubble section in Splash Woman's stage from MM9 is exactly the same. Like, same bubble order, same 3 screens (although there might be 4, with SW). Does this happen anywhere else? I've played though 9 so many times, I had all of the beats and everything memorized, and this really surprised me, to see this section (art-aside) done exactly the same years and years earlier.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I just find it kind of weird how MM9 took the very same 3-screen segment and slapped it into Splash Woman's stage.

Poor lady robot masters can't catch a break; they finally get represented, and their levels aren't even original.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The lack of quick weapon switching wasn't really a technical issue; the devs wanted to keep the games as -is and kept saying they didn't think it was their place to tweak the games in that way.

Yeah, we know, but it would have been fantastic if the original games had this. Hold select and push either up, down, left, right, start, B, or A, and you've got 7 weapons right there you could switch to.

Or just holding Select and cycling through them with the d-pad would have been great.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

BlueArmyMan posted:

Or just pressing select to cycle though them. Why sacrifice movement for weapon cycling?

True, this is a good point.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Wasn't Megaman Universe supposed to sort of be that?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Shine posted:

where his arm turns out to be his wife

Haha, what the gently caress is this now?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

No, his robot arm is bionic and is made from his dead wife. This is because it bonds better with him if there is that connection.

You know, this actually makes a bit of (video game) sense, wow.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Machine posted:

What are some good Mega Man levels to remake in Super Mario Maker?

Doesn't work well with levels that have high ceilings, like Bombman's stage. ALL OTHER SUGGESTIONS WELCOME.

Crash Man. Do it, record it.

Edit: don't worry about the open skies, just find some way to get close.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Gaffle posted:

If the level turns blank, that means there is a secret exit that you haven't found in it, where you'll fight the boss again and then get one of the 4 parts needed to use Beat. When you get the Beat part, it will be filled in with a letter. The secret exits require you to have either the power or jet adapters. The levels that get filled in with Mega Man heads don't have secret exits. It's not indicated on stage select whether or not you've found the energy balancer but it's hidden in Tomahawk Man's level.

poo poo, there's an energy balancer in Tomahawk Man's stage? To be clear, that's the thing that allows you to pick up weapon power pellets when you don't have a weapon selected, and it fills in the lowest one, right?

That doesn't sound right, but you all know what I mean. You could buy the item in the store in MM9.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

Worlds Collide was actually really, really well-done. It didn't hurt that they ditched all the crappy comic elements (no Freedom Fighters from Sonic, no Emerald Spears from Megaman) and focused a lot on Eggman and Wily chewing the scenery and hamming it up the way only wacky mad scientists can. The double-page spread of Sonic punking the hell out of Quickman (and questioning the reason for Strikeman's existence) only made it sweeter. Seriously, Worlds Collide is full of great visual gags that alone make it worth a read.

Wolrds Unite, however, was just garbage.

I've never heard of this, and I need to experience it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, MM1 is just so weird. The powerups look different, there are different sounds, controls feel like you're almost playing a different game (well, the feel of the gameplay, I mean; buttons are all the same). As much as I love 2 and how it's pretty much perfect, I'd say 3 is the peak of 8-bit-mega-man.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Augus posted:

That's a bit of an overstatement about the game that had the Boobeam Trap in it

It's perfect to me, dammit :colbert:

EDIT: I also found MM9 extremely cool and good. :clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, I didn't think I was going against the grain or anything by stating my love for 9.

Also, hahaha, in no universe would I ever confuse it or anything else with MN9.