Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I don't think I saw anyone mention it, but Megaman 4 Complete Works just got put up on the PSN in the Japanese Games section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

Honestly, I thought the anniversary collection was a piece of poo poo.

Uh, why? They fixed the lovely menus in MM 1-3 and let you switch weapons without going into the pause screen every single time, which is especially awesome for 6 and the Rush Adapters. Nevermind the better interface/controls in general and remixed music.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

pokecapn posted:

I wanna know in what world B jumps and A fires is better controls. You can adapt to them, but it makes absolutely no sense.

I thought everyone knew the Gamecube version was crap. The PS2 version has the same control style as usual plus the good music.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think all of the classic series and X1-4 is worth playing since the games are like 2-3 hours long and none of them are awful. 4, 3 MMX1 and MMX4 are probably the best games in their respective series if you just can't play though in order, with 4 and X1 being the best things Capcom's done with Mega Man.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

skipThings posted:

That is exactly why they felt the need to cut the charge shot and slide, so you are actually forced to use all of the utility the extra weapons provide
and so that they could sell you Protoman for some extra cash.

But no special weapon gives you the same utility the slide does. Taking it out and not even giving you the option to buy it from the shop was just a stupid idea. And I don't miss the charge shot, but MM10's weapons are almost all gimmicky MM5-tier trash like the Commando Bomb and Rebound Striker. Honestly even if MM9 had a charge shot no one would use it anyway.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Same here. I first played the X games on the PS2, and can't really see the appeal of the SNES OST. Especially since most of the actually good tracks don't sound that different.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, 5, 6 and 8 are all wicked easy.

I'll tell you though, Mega Man 5 and 6 are the best looking games on the NES, period. Holy poo poo they are gorgeous. It's really friggin' amazing what they did on that 8-bit system near the end. MM6 also does have a great soundtrack.

Simon is right when he says the special weapons suck, though. In some of the later Mega Man games, a lot of the weapons were really thoughtlessly designed. They had to make up new weapons, without thinking "hey, is this useful?" In Mega Man 4-7, you'll rarely use special weapons outside of boss battles, because the charged Mega Buster is just better. One thing that's nice about 8 and 9 is they're the first games since 2 and 3 where the special weapons have some utility. Then in Mega Man 10, the weapons went back into suck territory. Thunder Wool is the single most useless weapon in Mega Man history since Top Spin.

The Mega Buster in 4 is pretty strong, but not really that much stronger than most of the weapons. Drill Bomb is really just an instant charge shot that works on everything, Pharoah Shot has the whole aiming thing and acts as a barrier to aerial attacks, Rain Flush is a reliable screen clearer, and Bright Man's is super overpowered in lots of situations. I hardly ever touch the charge shot aside from bosses and never feel gimped. Honestly I feel MM4's weapons are better than MM2, as far as overall balance/utility goes and not "spam Metal Blade all day every day".

On the other hand, Megaman 5's weapons are all trash, to the point where even trying to use them generally gets you killed.

The really interesting thing is that most of the post-MM4 games apparently have a reason for turning out the way they did, according to the artbook, and weren't just people at Capcom losing steam. MM5 was trying to be overambitious with a mostly new team that needed to be taught the basics, 6 had that whole thing with Capcom being obligated to make it, and MM7 effectively had a development time of three months.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Jeroen posted:

I feel that the strength of the individual MM titles depends a lot on the soundtrack. For instance, you can tell Capcom kinda phoned it in after 3, because 4 through 6 had very bland soundtracks with hardly any memorable tunes.

Whoa, let's not say anything crazy now. I might be biased on MM4's OST since I've mostly just played with the phenomenal Perfect Works remix, but even the 8-bit tunes had plenty of cool stuff like Pharaoh Man's stage, the boss music, and everything from Cossack 1 to the last Wily stage. Plus, it's probably one of the only Mega Mans to balance the weapons right, and not just throw ridiculously overpowered/underpowered stuff at the player.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Hexmage-SA posted:

I'm not a newbie to the franchise, but I have admittedly played the Classic series the least. Until I bought the anniversary collection, the only Classic series games I owned were Mega Man 4, Mega Man 8, and the first three Game Boy games. I played through all the games on the Anniversary Collection when I first got it years ago, but I don't remember much about some of them and have mainly played later games (my favorites being Mega Man 9, Mega Man X, Zero 3 and 4, all 3 Legends games, Battle Network 2 and 6, and Star Force 3 [which is the only worthwhile Star Force game].

The Wily stages of Mega Man 2 throw a lot of unfair challenges requiring limited-use special weapons without giving you a way to restore them if you need to try more than once (or if you'd used them during the Wily stages at all). I feel like this is a fair criticism; I've played through and beaten every Zero series game, so I'm not just whining about difficulty.

Well, yeah it's cheap bullshit, but it's an early NES game, of course you're gonna have to deal with cheap badly designed bullshit. Just look at the Yellow Devil. Or Copy Robot. Or Mega Man 1's final Robot Master rematch gauntlet hell. And the stuff like negative Warp Zones in Super Mario: Lost Levels. It's just that even with cheap crap it's still pretty fun.

Although I have to say that Mega Man 3 did almost everything better, IMO, and Mega Man 4 is probably the best game in the series if you mostly ignore the charge shot for having the only good complete set of weapons as a whole along with the game not being a cakewalk like Megaman 7/8.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Hexmage-SA posted:

I played the first game before starting Mega Man 2, and none of those things bothered me as much as many of the things in 2's Wily Stages. The Yellow Devil fight is perfectly doable once you learn the pattern, and the cheap hit at the beginning of the fight is nowhere near as bad as the instant kill Mega Man 2's dragon can deliver. As far as the rematches go, I personally find fighting four robot masters one after the other with no health restoration preferable if only because you're given a chance to pick-up an extra life and total weapon refill afterwards. Mega Man 2 dumps you right at Wily immediately after the robot masters (hope you didn't use Bubble Lead on Heat Man!).

I can't think of anything in Mega Man 2 that was a bigger ballbuster than the Yellow Devil. Having a boss where you will die until you've lost multiple times because you need to memorize the exact order its body flies at you is worse than Mecha Dragon's autoscroll kill and Buubeam Trap because those only trick you once. Your mileage may vary, ect.

Simply Simon posted:

By the way, how many of you can recall a single Wily stage from MM4/5/6?

I remember 4's Wily Stage 1, and...yeah. The fakeout castles are pretty cool, but it's hard to remember much from the Wily stuff. And even the Megaman 5/6 music doesn't stand out so much either.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Also, what's your guys' opinion on the Complete Works remixes for Megaman 4/5/6 on the Anniversary Collection? I first played the games on the Collection with Navi mode, so until I actually looked them up I'd never heard the NES stuff, but I kinda wanna know what people who grew up with the games on the NES think, since I've always heard surprisingly little talk about them.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Jorts of Zeus posted:

I guess I can't defend my appreciation of 8, but 4 was definitely poo poo. A lot of my judgements were based on whether or not I had fun playing the game. I definitely had the least fun with four. I know the 8 stage "end game" set up originated in 3, but it just felt like an awful slog. There was at least novelty value in 3 from bringing back bosses from 2.

Did you actually try using weapons in 4? Because I notice for some weird reason you imply MM5's weapons aren't...well, Mega Man 5's weapon selection, while not mentioning 4's weapon/gadget list, which is probably the best in the entire series.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The Doc Robot stages don't really seem worse for padding than the two castle stages Megaman 4-6 did, IMO. I guess you're going through the same gimmicks and traps twice, but I always thought going through a harder version of the levels that expected you to use and have all of the weapons and Rush tools was cool, plus there were new parts like the second half of Needle Man's stage.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Hexmage-SA posted:

I just finished Mega Man 3, and overall I liked it more than Mega Man 2. However, whereas the Wily stages in 2 had many unfair challenges, 3's had very little challenge and usually amounted to giving away easy items.

Mega Man 3's difficulty is pretty weird like that. Easiest final Wily stages ever with something like six E-Tanks to pick up and nothing to use them on since nearly all the bosses are a joke, but the rematches with Mega Man 2's bosses in the same levels you went through before are somehow one of the hardest parts of the classic series, IMO.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

MM3 was incredibly rushed. From what I gathered during research for the LP, MM2 already had Inafune on his knees to Capcom in order for it to actually get made; Capcom was really unconvinced of the whole Mega Man thing even though MM1 didn't sell badly (though more so in the states, see box art). So when Inafune insisted that he believed in the concept, they told him he could do it, but only in his free time. MM2 is the first Mega Man fan project.
When that turned out to be an astounding success, Capcom was like hm okay we made money
And then, quite a while later they said "okay we need more money, make another game in three months."

And that is why MM3 was rushed, so that the Wily castle is a joke and turning around is hosed. Capcom was always bad at making decisions, it just wasn't as noticeable when the games still were good.

Honestly from what I could tell from leafing through an art book, practically every classic Mega Man except 4 had those kinds of issues. Mega Man 5 was done with almost all of the crew from the last four games moving on to new projects, MM6 was just made because they had to do it, and 7 was made in about three months of actual work due to various issues. That last one explains so much and surprises me at the same time, honestly, considering how much cool stuff was still in that game despite its obvious issues.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ryoshi posted:

His dash doesn't make up for the fact that he can't shoot while moving or that his gun is a worthless pea shooter. Bass is far more maneuverable on the whole except when it comes to shooting....which is kind of important in Mega Man games.

Bass's buster moves in eight directions though, which combined with rapid fire generally trivializes most generic fodder enemies, and even the one boss he has to buster duel is made a lot easier with double jumping and a aimable buster. You can't move with the Metal Blade but that doesn't stop it from being pretty much the best Mega Man weapon ever.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

gandlethorpe posted:

If you had to hit things with Metal Blade ten times to kill them it probably wouldn't have as great a reputation.

Ten hits with the Bass buster is like one second though? Not sure what your point is.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Mega Man 7 actually had little descriptions for every Robot Master, but for whatever reason it was taken out of the US version.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

gandlethorpe posted:

Is it just me or does MM10 also have the worst collection of weapons in the series? Even if you ignore Thunder Wool, everything else is really situational and/or costs way too much energy. This is right after MM9 had some of the best weapons.

As bad as some as 10's weapons are, I still used Triple Blade and Chill Spike more than anything in MM5, so they're not the absolute worst. Most of them suffer from a gimmick attached. I think they were trying to avoid having a MM9 situation where the game was moderately challenging until you beat Jewel Man, Galaxy Man or Splash Woman and trivialized nearly everything.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Mister Roboto posted:

Reminder that MM2 had Bubble Lead, the triple air shooter, crash bombs, and heat man's charging weapon.

Everyone just used the metal blade and wood man's shield.

Quick Boomerang is a pretty great mid-range weapon. But yeah, Mega Man 2 had a lot of gimmicky weapons with limited practical value, like Leaf Shield only being useful against Pipis and the infinitely respawning enemies.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I dunno what they were thinking with Proto Man in Mega Man 9/10. Double damage and double knockback is sadistic, and his charge shot is actively detrimental since he can only fire two shots at a time to "balance" it out. And in MM9 I don't even think the Proto Shield could block anything other than those little Mettal pellets.

And on Mega Man 5, I could see a use for some of its weapons even if some are outright inferior to other ones (Rain Flush), but the real problem I always had with using them is that the game's enemy placement feels designed around the mentality that they player is always gonna have a charge shot lined up, like the lions in Napalm Man's stage. Although yeah, I'll admit that I haven't experimented with 5's weapons as well as I could have.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, I screwed that up. I meant that Gravity Hold is a joke compared to Rain Flush.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It's also the best weapon since Thunder Beam is his weakpoint anyway. And I've beaten Yellow Devil without it, since you don't really have a choice on the PS1 or Anniversary Collection. It just means you have to die over and over again until you memorize the specific pattern you have to jump in to dodge him. :shepicide:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

fivegears4reverse posted:

No, I'm pretty sure I want Mega Man to keep on being a thing. The fans want Mega Man to keep being a thing, we just want good games to come from it. If Nintendo can poo poo out the New Super Mario Bros franchise and still have people get excited over some of the most boring level design across all of the 2D Marios, Capcom could keep giving us more Mega Man 9's and 10's and it'd be just fine.

The best case scenario for Mega Man is that Capcom goes out of business and a more competent developer/publisher gets their hands on the franchise. Give it to loving IntiCreates or something, even on their worse days they probably vomit things that look more inspired and soulful than what Capcom is trying to get done recently.

The thing is that as uninspired as the handheld New Super Mario Bros games are (NMSB Wii is easily up there with the 2-D Marios), they're accessible. Which is kinda the opposite of Mega Man 9. It's a good Mega Man game overall, but you can't make a game just for the fans, especially ones with rose-colored glasses who still think Mega Man 2 is a better game than 3 or 4, let alone one of the best games ever made, if you want a franchise to thrive. Being kinda objective, Mega Man 9 does an awful job at being accessible in that way, which probably led to 10's mediocre sales. It still has a lives system that's obstructive, a lot of the time when you die it's the game just being meanspirited with instant death obstacles instead of making the player feel like they screwed up, and it has the mentality in general that the NES era was good because of poo poo like the Devils and not in spite of them. So a Mega Man 11 made with the same mentality as 9 and 10 would probably sell even worse than Mega Man 10 did and just reaffirm their belief that Mega Man isn't currently profitable besides the small cluster of devout fans.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

I'd say that Megaman 10 sold awful because it was an awful game and felt like what it was; a cash-grab.

Oh yeah, it's easily the worst Megaman besides 1 and even worse in some ways and deserved the reception it got. But I couldn't quite call it out on its bullshit in a post about arguing about how inaccessible 9 was since they did add an Easy Mode.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I don't see it, honestly. Half of 10's roster are decent weapons that still feel underpowered when you compare them to something like Megaman 3, let alone 9. The rest are unforgivably awful, mostly because they're balanced around the player being able to consistently pull off their obtuse gimmick.

Also, I always found Plug Ball to be a pretty great weapon in its own right. It's basically just a rehash of the Search Snakes, except they're faster and stronger, which really fixes Search Snake's only problem. Its only real flaw is that it's in the same game as Concrete Shot, Black Hole Bomb and Laser Trident and you get it from a boss considerably harder than those three. Calling it mediocre in the same post as Rebound Striker, Thunder Wool and Commando Bomb is pretty silly.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Speaking of the Zero games, has anyone else ever had trouble skipping cutscenes with the Zero Collection on flashcarts? Or ZX Advent?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
To be fair, infinite lives should really have been a thing in every post-SNES platformer. It really becomes obvious how bullshit the idea of restarting from the very start of a level when you play something with a difficulty level higher than "moderate". Trying to replay ZX Advent's Hard mode is an excercise in tedium, because you have to replay the entire thing to beat the part you died to. Same for Mega Man 10.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Because Buster Charging literally adds nothing to the game until like MMX where you could also charge boss weapons.

Buster Charging increases the power of your pew-pew blaster in pretty significant ways. As such, the rest of the game either needs to be designed to compensate for this or it is trivially easy because your Buster plows through things like butter. When they redesign the game to compensate for it, they tend to put decreased emphasis on weapons being more generally usable (because the Buster fills that role) or they give all the enemies more HP to compensate, which results in them being annoying bullet sponges. Mega Man 2 and 3 are my favorites largely because charging isn't a part of them.

MM9 is a much better designed game because each weapon has a unique, cool and powerful attribute and each is a viable alternate in different situations. Once you get one or two general use weapons you don't even need to use the Mega Buster at all if you don't want to. However the enemy HP levels are mostly at a point where you CAN use the Mega Buster if you want without having to charge constantly. MM10 is worse because they made Protoman a basic playable character and shockingly all the weapons suck way more than in MM9.

Also the humming sound gets insanely annoying after a while.

Kind of late, but I feel like this isn't entirely fair to the other games. Mega Man 4 came up with the charge shot, and it's pretty superfluous since half the weapons do as much damage without needing to charge or did insane utility stuff. Mega Man 7 and 8 had pretty good weapons too, 8's in particular just being even stronger than 9's, just in an easier game. I think the real problem is just that Mega Man 5 was designed around the charge shot, and that Mega Man 6 was just kind of weak in general since it was a rushjob.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
X just got the shaft hard in X4. There are weapons I use like all the time in X1 and X3, but like every single weapon he got in X4 was gimmicky to the point where it makes Mega Man 10's obtuse garbage look like Mega Man 4.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Mega Man 9 was basically made only for fans of the old games, which in and of itself was was basically a nail in the coffin. There were a lot of games released around that time that tried to "revive" old franchises like Wario Land: Shake It, Rayman Legends, New Super Mario Bros, and Donkey Kong Country Returns, but Mega Man 9 stands out as the only one that went out of its way to include all the unfun stuff like pausing to equip and unequip special weapons, even the stuff that was basically non-existent in the original games, like bullshit deaths and the Devil fights that require memorization.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
When people bitch about something being too anime they're not complaining that it looks like a Japanese cartoon or comic book, they're complaining that the writing and/or character designs came out of an embarrassingly terrible Japanese cartoon or comic book. Like, you have to be kind of dense to see Sonic 2006 and not get why people call it more anime than the old games with no dialogue. Or Mega Man 1-7 compared to ZX Advent.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Needing a walkthrough to know what enemies Top Spin won't get you hurt on and lose almost of its power kind of makes it bad IMO. It's my most-used weapon every playthrough ever since I saw that one video, but Top Spin really should have just let you bounce off of the enemies that it doesn't work on.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

One of the GB games has an auto-charge toggle as well as a rapid-fire option; it's a wonder they don't offer those things as standard (or easily acquirable upgrades).

I know the PS1 ports on the PSN had a dedicated rapid-fire button and had an option for auto-charging too, so I guess they just pretended that those quality-of-life improvements didn't exist along with shoulder-buttons to switch weapons in MM9.

Anyway, the charge shot is an overpowered crutch weapon, but I don't think that it inherently ruins gameplay balance, and actually makes the game more fun for less skilled players (me) who want to experiment with boss weapons, which is pretty hard in some games when some bosses like Shadow Man are nearly impossible to buster duel and a lot of others are a bitch with finite lives. Mega Man 4 solves the problem by making every Robot Master weapon either utility or almost, if not as strong as the charge shot only without having to actually charge up. I've always thought a good compromise would be turning the Charge Shot into a buyable weapon that uses ammo, so it can help less skilled players while not encouraging weapon energy hoarding.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

It would only be ok if you had the option to play as an extra character who could slide. :)

It still kind of sucks since the game isn't made around the slide. And takes double damage just because he did in the last game he was playable in without any of the upsides from that game.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Stink Terios posted:

Aren't the Heat Man blocks glitched in a way that they are unpredictable and sometimes impossible? I remember hearing something like this.

They appear in order so that you can just jump on them like normal platforms, but there's one spiteful fakeout at the very end that'll probably trip a lot of people up, IIRC.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

PSWII60 posted:

Are the first 2 legends games there?

IIRC, Legends isn't coming out here because they have to relicesnce the voiceover credits, which isn't feasible for various reasons.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

TheRedEye posted:

Hi, I'm the designer/producer of this collection. This is the total antithesis of a lazy port job, I promise you all. I've been working nonstop on this thing for six months, the amount of extras we crammed in here is incredible. I wish Capcom showed more of them, but hopefully people will be happy when they see what we've been doing at E3.

Just curious, any of the stuff from the anniversary collection making it in? Because I can live with the lack of remixed music even if I was introduced to the games that way, but being able to switch weapons without pausing is a huge quality of life improvement.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Takoluka posted:

or you could just pause the game, pick the weapon you want, unpause it, and then shoot the weapon because that's how you did when you were 7 and you didn't write a letter to capcom then saying how if they would implement holding select and pressing left or right for selecting weapons it would allow you to be lazy when playing a game that, with no L/R weapon scrolling, you could beat in less than an hour

Having to pause, unpause, then repause to go back to the Mega Buster kind of discourages using any weapons that can't replace the Mega Buster though, like the Metal Blade, Drill Bomb or Laser Trident. And between the X games, Anniversary Collection, and PSN ports of 1-4, it's not like everyone grew up on the NES games either. Considering the price and the fact that other versions with shoulder switching are still readily available, it's not a huge deal, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

We've already gotten our hands on playable versions of the game. Unless the content they haven't shown is utterly mindblowing it's going to be a competent but not exceptional 2D platformer.

Tbf there's still hope for the special weapons to be good since a good weapon roster (i.e: not MM2 which had one good one or MM5 where they just said gently caress it charge shot all day erry day) adds a lot of replayabily. ...Somehow I doubt we're getting one as good as MM4 or 9 though.