Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

BiggerJ posted:

It's been hinted at. Dr. Light's mentioned his intention to someday create a robot with true free will - a robot with Mega Man's missing X-factor. Also, Neige from the Zero series appeared in the first issue. If they're indeed the same person, he getting cryogenically frozen and waking up two centuries later could allow her to provide some interesting insight on the history of robotics.

Uh, pretty sure she's just a cameo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I can read a story with a robot kid with a gun arm as the main character
I cannot read a story with a talking blue hedgehog as the main character

I probably won't read Megaman's comics anyway, unless they start rewriting X. That might be cool to see a western take on.

They likely will indeed move to X when the NES series' storyline is done--completely dependent on whether it sells to that point. They've only just reached the start of MM3 and it's a year in. Selling issues to finish the 8-10 story will probably take 2 more years.

That's why I say support the current series so they DO make it. The comicbook industry is a very, very tough balancing act. Fans are fickle and drop off every month and never come back. That's a tough industry to stay afloat in when every few months a Big New Hero Series Collector's Issue #1 comes out and the comic book fans move to that.

So yeah, give it a try, even if you're not a regular comic book reader. It deserves it; even if it's a rather kid-aimed series it's only a few bucks an issue, they try hard to make all the NES canon fit, and the art is very nice.

You can keep them safe and give them to some kids later on or something.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jul 16, 2012

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

LemonLimeTime posted:

Uh, pretty sure she's just a cameo.

If they do the Zero games that that'll have to change, since she's an important character in Zero 4.

Mister Roboto posted:

They likely will indeed move to X when the NES series' storyline is done--completely dependent on whether it sells to that point. They've only just reached the start of MM3 and it's a year in. Selling issues to finish the 8-10 story will probably take 2 more years.

I hope they skip the unknown events that take place between Classic and X, even though (and also because) they've been hinted at: Capcom have said that the Maverick Virus originally came from outer space, but is NOT the Evil Energy from 8. But Wily managed to infect almost all robots with a virus called Roboenza in 10, and his fortress in that game was a space station. Dun dun DUNNNN! It's best if Archie Comics doesn't try to take a stab at something that's only uncertainly partially known.

Mister Roboto posted:

You can keep them safe and give them to some kids later on or something.

My local library has a whole bunch of graphic novels and accepts book donations, and Archie Comics is making Mega Man trade paperbacks, so that's another option. But I'm in Australia, and apparently, at least some American libraries just throw donated books in the trash, so that may not be an option in your country.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jul 16, 2012

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

BiggerJ posted:

I hope they skip the unknown events that take place between Classic and X, even though (and also because) they've been hinted at: Capcom have said that the Maverick Virus originally came from outer space, but is NOT the Evil Energy from 8. But Wily managed to infect almost all robots with a virus called Roboenza in 10, and his fortress in that game was a space station. Dun dun DUNNNN! It's best if Archie Comics doesn't try to take a stab at something that's only uncertainly partially known.

Alternatively, they get enough respect from the fandom and industry that they manage to contact Inafune and ask him how he would like to see them make the transition. It may not be 100% official but it'd be sure nice to finally see at least one interpretation.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Concerning the continuation of the series, the series doesn't have it as good as Archie's Sonic titles do and always have. Even if/when a new Mega Man game does come out, the series still won't have the same level of popularity, recognizability and pervasiveness as Sonic.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jul 16, 2012

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Captain Invictus posted:

Likes Sonic the Hedgehog, Megaman, and Transformers even now.

You've got battered person syndrome.

You have no idea, man. Did I mention I also used to be a huge Star Wars fan, and Final Fantasy used to be up there for me?

Things I like get lovely a lot. I'm not able to get excited for much anymore.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Go read One Piece, it's the one thing I've been a fan of in 15 years that has yet to disappoint.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Gammatron 64 posted:

You have no idea, man. Did I mention I also used to be a huge Star Wars fan, and Final Fantasy used to be up there for me?

Things I like get lovely a lot. I'm not able to get excited for much anymore.

Anything that pumps out new movies/games/whatever for 20 years is bound to get lovely. Obviously they're still in it for the name recognition instead of making something original.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Captain Invictus posted:

Go read One Piece, it's the one thing I've been a fan of in 15 years that has yet to disappoint.

Everyone should follow the advice of this post.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
the low art thing I like, Transformers, has been completely lovely for years and has recently gotten some more defensible entries (especially James Roberts work) so that's lucky I guess.

I don't feel cheated of Mega Man just yet because I don't care about the story and just like the gameplay, and there's a lot of entries to complete there. That I probably won't ever complete. Because I suuuuuck. I have yet to beat the first Zero game or get past that spider miniboss of ZX:A that destroys the floor, etc. I recently tried replaying the X series and the first game is just not nearly as easy as I remember it being when I was a kid, I guess I kind of suck at games or something.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I keep meaning to read One Piece, and I have it downloaded on my external HDD, but I still haven't gotten around to doing it.

I think I've beaten pretty much every single 2D side-scrolling Mega Man game in existence, so there's not exactly a whole lot left for me. I think the only ones I haven't beaten are Rockman & Forte for the Wonderswan, and that obscure Battle Network sidescroller for the Wonderswan.

I'm not interested in Battle Network \ Star Force, and while I haven't played the Misadventures of Tron Bonne, maybe it's best that I don't, because then it will probably make me want Legends 3 some more and make me depressed.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man I hope you somehow found better scanlations than the ones I think you have, which constantly botch character names(such as Bartholomew Kuma being "Bisoromi Bear" or Bellamy the Hyena translated as "Binami the Dachsund") and have pretty bad translations for a while until after Skypiea I believe.

Anyways, the last Megaman games besides Zero 1 and 2(which were both fun, never beat 2 though) were Battle Networks 1 and 2. And I just can't put that sort of time into those games anymore, I burn out way too quick on them now.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Yeah, Battle Network just isn't my thing. I don't think they're very fun. I'm not big into Pokemon style games. The only Pokemon game I beat was Red version, and I had to use game genie to collect them all.

I'll play JRPGs sometimes, but they have to be quality ones like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 4/5/6/7/9, Mario RPG, that kinda stuff. I mean, there's probably worse games out there than Battle Network and Megaman X Command Mission, but I eventually gave up on those because I thought to myself "couldn't I be doing something a little better with my time?" Mega Man X Command Mission kinda feels like a cheap rear end Chinese knockoff Final Fantasy you get from Big Lots.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
The thing about those "other" rpgs is that if you don't have any nostalgia the battle systems aren't really that great. I have yet to figure out what difficulty means in a JRPG other than "Didn't try the right spell/Level enough".

My reflexes are poo poo but at least when I play a platformer I'm figuring out how to maneuver around a pattern and dish out damage instead of staring at numbers, watching flashy little spell animations, and playing out an anime story. I think the one reason why I keep meaning to finish the SNES rpgs is that later rpgs have even more of that bullshit the further you go forward in time and those at least have some odd charm and appealing atmosphere to them. It's fun to chill out and play Earthbound for a while even though you're not really doing anything and nothing disguises this.

It's been explained repeatedly though that Battle Network is not really pokemon but instead has a battle system that allows for an insane amount of creativity and customization - the grid and movement allows for actual strategy instead of futzing around with numbers.

And there is nothing remotely like them anywhere else.

No one will ever praise the story. I mean, even the old megaman games didn't have very good stories (did ANYONE play ANY megaman platformer for the story ever? Any takers?) but here they give you unskippable cutscenes. If I ever replay them, it will probably be emulated (I have the carts, so this is a thing I can do) and fast forwarding through all plot and all long trips to other chip collection areas, which might cut down on the annoyance (and I'll only replay 3,5, and 6 - I got to the final bosses and never proceeded past them except on 5)

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The cutscenes are skippable. Press Start (or select, depending on game).

But why would you ever want to skip the drunken whiskey rap-off?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I saw this thread had 55 new posts like out of nowhere. Surely this means an announcement or hint of announcement of a new Mega Man game.

Nope. :smith:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Himuro posted:

I saw this thread had 55 new posts like out of nowhere. Surely this means an announcement or hint of announcement of a new Mega Man game.

Nope. :smith:

Why would you even think that? That's like seeing a bunch of posts in a final fantasy thread and thinking they decided to stop sucking.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Why would you even think that? That's like seeing a bunch of posts in a final fantasy thread and thinking they decided to stop sucking.

55 new posts in the Final Fantasy thread means that somebody posted a controversial option about the Final Fantasy series. Which is any and every opinion about those games. The Final Fantasy thread is the worst thread.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Dunno, man. The Final Fantasy thread is like one big dysfunctional family. I don't think - well, I hope at least - anyone takes the stuff expressed their seriously, and we troll each other just to troll sometimes.

55 new posts in the Mega Man thread, though? That's huge. This thread has been dead for months, and 55 new posts seemingly out of nowhere? Must mean a new Mega Man! :(

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
I'm still waiting on Mega Man X to release on the PS3.

I'm really close to buying an SNES. I mean, there are 7 8-bit Mega Man games on the PS Store. Are there any rumors floating around?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

They have Rockboard on the PS Store?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Squirtle Squadee posted:

I'm still waiting on Mega Man X to release on the PS3.

I'm really close to buying an SNES. I mean, there are 7 8-bit Mega Man games on the PS Store. Are there any rumors floating around?

If you can't wait then X and X2 are on the Wii Virtual Console.

Elec
Feb 25, 2007
I know I'm like 4 years late, but I recently got a PS3 and bought Megaman 9 and 10.

Is 9, like, ridiculously hard? Did I just play through Megamans 1-6 and X1-3 so much that I can do them basically blindfolded?
Definitely OG 1-3 have some difficult parts but I kind of feel like the level design of 9 is based wholly upon a misremembering of how difficult the games were. I also just sort of feel like it's silly not to be able to slide or charge the buster.

I have tried each stage multiple times and have only succeeded in beating Galaxy Man. I got up to Splash Woman but was on my last life and had basically no health left. Jewel Man's stage is also tons of bull. It's easily the least fun I've had with a Megaman game (though I am a crazy person that hated Legends and am just plain bad at video games anyway, so take that as a caveat).

Annoyed, I switched to 10 and found that way more enjoyable. Overall 10 just seems to be a much better game, though I think 9's music is better.

I honestly feel like I am going crazy, wondering if anyone else feels this way. I was unhealthily obsessed with Megaman games as a kid, so I'd really like for 9 to be fun eventually!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

9's a little unforgiving, yeah, they were going for a forced-retro feel that included the difficulty being ramped up beyond what you'd "normally" make. But it's not impossibly hard, it just takes practice and determination. 10 is a little more balanced, obviously.

E: please nobody post about how they found 9 really easy and don't get what the big deal was

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
9 had a general consensus that it was harder than most of the others. Galaxy Man's and Splash Woman's stages are the easiest. I would definitely start with those two.

I think 10 was a bit easier, but it really gives you both trouble and a boner at the Wily stages, and you'll see why right away.

e; Jewel Man's stage made me put that game down for a month before re-trying it again.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
From what I recall, 9's main problem is that it kind of turns to bullshit platforming for difficulty. The main thing that sticks out in my mind is that loving pendulum in Jewel Man's stage.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If they released Mega Man 9 and 10 on Vita I'd rebuy them in a heartbeat.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Detective No. 27 posted:

If they released Mega Man 9 and 10 on Vita I'd rebuy them in a heartbeat.

Good lord if those games ever became portable I'd probably buy whatever expensive poo poo they put it on.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
9's difficulty comes entirely from an overabundance of one hit kills and bottomless pits.

gently caress that last underwater jump in the Wily stages. :argh:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Cuchulain posted:

9's difficulty comes entirely from an overabundance of one hit kills and bottomless pits.

gently caress that last underwater jump in the Wily stages. :argh:

Yeah, MM9 isn't really that hard, it's just full of pits and spikes and whatnot; once you've got 'em sussed you'll fly through every level.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Elec posted:

I know I'm like 4 years late, but I recently got a PS3 and bought Megaman 9 and 10.

Is 9, like, ridiculously hard? Did I just play through Megamans 1-6 and X1-3 so much that I can do them basically blindfolded?
Definitely OG 1-3 have some difficult parts but I kind of feel like the level design of 9 is based wholly upon a misremembering of how difficult the games were. I also just sort of feel like it's silly not to be able to slide or charge the buster.

I have tried each stage multiple times and have only succeeded in beating Galaxy Man. I got up to Splash Woman but was on my last life and had basically no health left. Jewel Man's stage is also tons of bull. It's easily the least fun I've had with a Megaman game (though I am a crazy person that hated Legends and am just plain bad at video games anyway, so take that as a caveat).

Annoyed, I switched to 10 and found that way more enjoyable. Overall 10 just seems to be a much better game, though I think 9's music is better.

I honestly feel like I am going crazy, wondering if anyone else feels this way. I was unhealthily obsessed with Megaman games as a kid, so I'd really like for 9 to be fun eventually!
Precisely my experience, and I've played 1-6 enough to feel confident in LPing them. 9 is a very different kind of difficulty which relies far more on instant kills, and that makes the game incredibly far tougher as you still have just two lives. I also think the minibosses are far too hard in most cases.

I do think, however, that MM10 is not that good of a game. Don't like the level design at all. Too gimmicky. Though it's definitely easier and less gently caress-you dependant, I give it that.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Mega Man 9 is very Contra-like in terms of difficulty. It requires a lot of memorization. After a lot of trial and error, it becomes a lot easier once you've learned the levels. Mega Man 9 also has possibly the best arsenal out of any Mega Man game. Most of the weapons are fun to use, and actually useful.

I think Mega Man 9 is one of the best games in the series, even though it's disappointing that they felt the need to remove the charge shot and slide.

In my opinion, Mega Man 10 isn't quite as good, but it's by no means a bad game. It's simply par for the course.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
10 suffered from being a bit too easy (though I think it has better bosses than 9) and having awful weapons. I can't remember any of them, where as I'm pretty sure I can recall every single weapon from 9. And all of them were useful and would find use in many stages.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Mega Man 9 also has possibly the best arsenal out of any Mega Man game. Most of the weapons are fun to use, and actually useful.

I think Mega Man 9 is one of the best games in the series, even though it's disappointing that they felt the need to remove the charge shot and slide.

That is exactly why they felt the need to cut the charge shot and slide, so you are actually forced to use all of the utility the extra weapons provide
and so that they could sell you Protoman for some extra cash.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I find it interesting how MM9 is considered the harder of the two, since I had a much easier time with it than with 10. I mean, yeah, sure, there's lots of bullshit instadeath, but the weapon arsenal is so incredibly useful that I could get through them after a while.

In MM10 I have yet to beat Blade Man's, Commando Man's or Strike Man's stages. I just can't do it.

VG-Robot
Aug 2, 2006

Ask me about fucking the Medievalists and being sooo angry.
Just to go off on a side tangent here...

I just beat Megaman Legends a couple days ago for the second or third time.

That game got ROBBED by reviews. It is still perfectly playable (once you learn to use the R1 and L1 buttons to turn, with D-pad to move and strafe), and because of it's flat-shaded polygons and stellar art direction, it still looks good.

To me it is a near perfect game. The amount of secrets and hidden tricks spread all over the game makes it easy to get absorbed into it, and unlike a lot of other rather sparse 3D adventure games of the period, the town is huge and surprisingly explorable. The feeling of freedom is unparalleled, as you can jump all over the environments and slide around on rocket skates and just generally tool around in between story missions.

The world and characters are really charming and memorable, and the music burrows into your brain like a bot fly.

Graphically, mechanically, and tonally, it is amazing that this game was released almost a year before Ocarina of Time (in Japan). It feels like a game that should have been released a year AFTER.

Seriously though, after beating it I was a little shocked to see how little some reviewers thought of the game. I can't think of many other titles that looked and played so well back then--and even fewer that were so deep. Was everyone just pissed off because it wasn't in 2D?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

skipThings posted:

That is exactly why they felt the need to cut the charge shot and slide, so you are actually forced to use all of the utility the extra weapons provide
and so that they could sell you Protoman for some extra cash.

But no special weapon gives you the same utility the slide does. Taking it out and not even giving you the option to buy it from the shop was just a stupid idea. And I don't miss the charge shot, but MM10's weapons are almost all gimmicky MM5-tier trash like the Commando Bomb and Rebound Striker. Honestly even if MM9 had a charge shot no one would use it anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mega Man 9 had harder levels but it also gave you a lot more powerful equipment to work with. Things like Concrete Shot or Jewel Satellite were so powerful that they did a lot to reduce the difficulty. MM10 had easier levels but the weapons were all boring and crappy.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

VG-Robot posted:

Just to go off on a side tangent here...

I just beat Megaman Legends a couple days ago for the second or third time.

That game got ROBBED by reviews. It is still perfectly playable (once you learn to use the R1 and L1 buttons to turn, with D-pad to move and strafe), and because of it's flat-shaded polygons and stellar art direction, it still looks good.

To me it is a near perfect game. The amount of secrets and hidden tricks spread all over the game makes it easy to get absorbed into it, and unlike a lot of other rather sparse 3D adventure games of the period, the town is huge and surprisingly explorable. The feeling of freedom is unparalleled, as you can jump all over the environments and slide around on rocket skates and just generally tool around in between story missions.

The world and characters are really charming and memorable, and the music burrows into your brain like a bot fly.

Graphically, mechanically, and tonally, it is amazing that this game was released almost a year before Ocarina of Time (in Japan). It feels like a game that should have been released a year AFTER.

Seriously though, after beating it I was a little shocked to see how little some reviewers thought of the game. I can't think of many other titles that looked and played so well back then--and even fewer that were so deep. Was everyone just pissed off because it wasn't in 2D?

It's pretty amazing how well a game made in the early years of 3D gaming holds up even today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Legends is decent while it lasts, but it is REALLY short. It is also really small. I mean, when you compare it to Ocarina of Time there really isn't much to it. But it is a fun game on its own merits. However, I think the mood and the plot of the game pretty much tanks after the pirates leave. For me, that is where the game starts declining to the point where I might as well just start over from the beginning.

As for the Mega Man Franchise as a whole, it is kind of weird to see one of the more popular franchises slowly die off. I have come to accept it because for all the love I have for the old games, I really do think they needed to do something different, and maybe they never found the perfect blend of what they wanted, but I enjoyed MMX8 because it at least attempted something different, even if it didn't work for the fans. Sometimes I think people want X1-3 repeated over and over again.

I would really like for them to reattempt putting the game into 3d. X7 was pretty bad (Although I didn't mind the 3d, I hated that they pretty much forced you to use Axl for half the game), but I liked it after I gained access to X.