Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Gotta admit, I hated X3 too. The difficulty curve was all over the place and although playing as Zero seems like a novel concept at first, he's basically just a very gimped version of X. Then again, I only played through the X games a few years ago so nostalgia isn't really a factor for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Bionic Commando next-gen spoilers: He's talking about Super Joe, who is the main villain of that game.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Edoraz posted:

It started at X4, and continued as the series went on. It made sense in Legends, some poo poo talking, but in the rest of the games, it's usually about some pseudo-physiological poo poo. I don't think it was ever to be made sense of.

Yeah but the translation was at it's worst in X6. I seriously still have no idea what the plot of that game was about because the translation was so awful and I've beaten the game beforehand. It sucked so much I don't even want to replay it to find out either.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Haven't actually really been following this thread for a while but is there anything particularly wrong with the Legacy Collection despite it being rather overpriced for what is essentially NES ROMs?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The game looks better on lower graphical settings than higher settings, which shouldn't be the case. Even then it still doesn't look nice graphically. I think some other posters have said it right on the mark, in a post-Shovel Knight and Gunvolt world, people just aren't as starved for a Mega Man type game than they were when the Kickstarter launched and a lot of people's ire towards Capcom has cooled down a bit. Add constant PR fuckups, a game that doesn't look nice aesthetically and looks mediocre to see in motion, constant delays, the Red Ash Kickstarter backfiring horribly, the constant merchandising and tie ins for a character that nobody has even had a chance to play around with yet and the character designs feeling like a Chinese bootleg of Mega Man instead of being Mega Man inspired but still having its own identity then it's easy to see why people aren't nearly as enthusiastic or hyped for it as they were.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Stink Terios posted:

Comcept hosed up. (You don't say?).

Apparently the demo is just the full single player game with a missing script keeping you from playing all of it.

I wonder how long it's gonna take until someone unlocks the rest of the game.

When people unlock the full game, I wonder how many will be angry at Comcept before the game even officially releases?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Mega Man 4, 5, 6 and 7 are just kind of there and forgettable in my opinion. Even my recent replay of 4-6 in the Legacy Collection, there's only a few things that really stand out so I'm planning on replaying 7 now and seeing how it stands on its own merits. I still remember 8 but mostly for all the wrong reasons so that's something at least.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

So does anyone have any recommendations for hacks or fan games?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

senae posted:

The obvious one is Rockman 4 minus infinity, it's easily the best Megaman romhack out there.

For fangames, Day In The Limelight 2 is great (you play as The Megaman 2 bosses in Megaman 3), and Rock Force was pretty good too, although I remember the level design getting a bit boring in the end.

Any good hacks or fan games based on Mega Man X? Or is it really just Corrupted that looks like it would be worth a drat? Heck, I'd even be happy with a hack of X6 that makes it an actually good game with a good translation.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

TopHatGenius posted:

Just played and beaten X6 and god drat I can understand now why a lot of people didnt like it. The music was pretty nice though.

I'm not looking forward to my X6 replay, I'll tell you that much. Like, X7 is probably the much worse game between the two but outside of the fight with Red there was nothing in it that angered me as much as some of the bullshit in X6, like Blaze Heatnix's stage or pretty much every Gate stage.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Looper posted:

Don't play it then? You already know what it's like, just rewatch Violen's videos instead or something

I'll replay it but if I get frustrated as I was back then, I'll move on. I'm kind of going through all of the games at the moment.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

What the hell was the previous delay for if the network stuff wasn't tested yet?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah I had a feeling that the previous delay was for the exact same issues. What the hell?

Pureauthor posted:

I wonder if Inafune actually realizes how all this looks or if he's sitting snug in an ivory tower somewhere thinking up the Might No.9 Battle Network kickstarter.

Don't give him ideas.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Soulless, would be the best word to describe the last footage of the game. It looks by the numbers and boring.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Isn't Shanoa modeled after IGA's wife anyway? At least I remember hearing something like that.
But Bloodstained already looks far better in its early stages than MN9 does now.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

As the MN9 spectacle goes on, Capcom is looking less and less like the bad guys for canning Legends 3.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Hahaha wow. Is Copen seriously just "hey guys so we know MN9 isn't out yet so here's our own version of MN9."

His gameplay looks more fun than MN9 too. I really liked the original Gunvolt, so I'll definitely pick this up in the summer.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Gunvolt is pretty cool and if 2 can improve the level design then even better.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

So, I wonder what the odds are of us getting Gunvolt 2 before we get MN9.

Almost guaranteed. Gunvolt 3 will probably be out before MN9 too.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Inafune got promoted mere months before he left Capcom. Maybe I'm being too :tinfoil: about it, but I'm starting to wonder if Inafune intentionally set Mega Man Legends 3 to fail, after he left Capcom so he'd get more support. If it was his dream project, why would he leave it before completion? And why would he leave after finally getting promoted?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Inafune offered to have his new company come back and finish MML3. This is an openly stated fact. So at bare minimum he started a game and then expected Capcom to hire his new company to finish it. If that wasn't intentional it's still pretty weird.

In which case, why the hell would he ever think Capcom would hire him on as a contractor after he basically abandoned Capcom? What did he think would happen, that they'd say yes and hire him again?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Fargin Icehole posted:

I really hope Bloodstained comes through with flying colors. I would have actually donated to MN9, I'm a pretty big fan of Mega Man, but this is just awful.

Pretty much every kickstarter that has a name that was big years seems to end in a disappointingly controversial fire.

I donated to IGA because I trust him more than I do Inafune. And I don't really regret backing Bloodstained so far either, since it already looks much better in its early stages than Mighty No. 9's supposed near final build does.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

X8 is thoroughly mediocre since about half the stages are really stupid gimmicks. Thing is, compared to X5, X6 and X7, X8 comes off as completely amazing in comparison which is probably why people tend to have somewhat fond memories of it. It's not a bad game, the levels which don't use stupid gimmicks are fun and it broke the trend of Sigma being the final boss which was great and they managed to integrate Axl pretty well when he was just a shittier version of X in X7, I just wish half of the game wasn't full of stupid gimmicks.

X7's probably the worst in the X series, though I hate X6 more mostly because I hate the nightmare effects and how easy it was to screw yourself over and Gate's stages were completely ridiculous unless you cheesed them.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

Mighty No.9 has a new trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YngbHOz--oc

It's... it's a thing.

What the gently caress was that? That has to be one of the most cringeworthy trailers I've seen. Like, Ubisoft at E3 levels of cringeworthy. The game also looks even worse and more aged the longer it gets delayed.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

John Romero's actually made a couple Doom maps lately and they're really good, man's legitimately still got it.

He just needs someone to reign in his ego a bit, that's what ruined Daikatana. People give him a lot of poo poo because of Daikatana and have retroactively hated the levels he's worked on in Doom and the like because of Daikatana but that's just silly to me since his levels have a pretty decent flow unlike say, Sandy Petersen's levels.

I've no idea how much influence Inafune has had on Mega Man titles but I suppose the lesson to be learned is that it's the collective work of many people which make classic games great, not any one individual.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Inti Creates can only make one kind of game, it seems.

Comcept is the main developer, as far as I know Inti Creates only helped out with some things on the coding side of things. They weren't the ones that decided how MN9 should play. Also Inti Creates did Mega Man 9 & 10 as well as the upcoming Bloodstained so not all of their games are speedrun focused like Zero and ZX kind of are.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

They also did Gal Gun!

I was trying to forget about that.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

Can confirm that DitL 2 is quite amazing.

There is a way to instantly refill your energy gauge :psyduck:?

Thanks for the link!

Press down twice quickly in succession to do an instant refill. It was explained in the tutorial but the tutorial is a clusterfuck of tutorial text, plot and setting exposition and a need to go fast because like the Zero games, it's all about speedrunning and not getting hit.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

IGN gave the game a 5.6 and Destructoid a 6.5. It isn't a trainwreck but it looks to be boringly mediocre like we all suspected.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

I am of the mind that this exact same game would be better received if Inafune hadn't pulled a lot of the poo poo he did over the past year and a half.

It would probably be received better if it came out on time. The past two years have made Mighty No. 9 look dated extremely quickly.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

As awful as Sonic Boom was, at least it didn't hardlock the Wii U like MN9 does and the game has a lot more going on graphically to boot. Lost World was mediocre and Sonic Boom was awful, but MN9 is mediocre and has crippling technical problems on a lot of systems that can make it drat near unplayable. I'm hearing reports of the PSN codes not working, the Steam version randomly deleting your save files and ridiculous load times followed by hard locks of the Wii U version.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Is the credits sequence really 4 hours long? That's longer than some AAA video games these days.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Mr. Locke posted:

I haven't played Link Between Worlds due to Zelda Apathy so I might have to default give you that one, but the other two, I stand by what I said.

Endorph posted:

even if you don't like majora you can't really accuse it of being safe and mediocre.

Yeah I understand that Majora's Mask is divisive but how can you possibly say that it was mediocre for being too similar to Ocarina of Time when the main complaint about it was that it's too different and stressful because of the three day time limit? Wind Waker plays it safer as far as gameplay is concerned but the graphical style and the overworld consisting entirely of an ocean makes it different enough from Ocarina of Time that it was also controversial and divisive.

Really, you'd have been better off saying Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword were mediocre because then you'd be right, Twilight Princess is very much Ocarina of Time 2 and is mediocre for it and Skyward Sword tries new things but very little of it is done well and it feels mediocre as a result. It's why I'm excited for Breath of the Wild, since the template it uses is the original NES Zelda, not Ocarina of Time or A Link to the Past.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

kefkafloyd posted:

In fact the reason they split is because Doctor Wily doesn't actually want to destroy the world, he wants to be in charge and be recognized as an equal to Light, whereas Eggman wants to blow everything up. Wily may be a self-centered prick, but he knows you can't run a giant robot business if nobody is around to buy your stuff. It was a very realistic way for that to happen.

That and he still considers Dr. Light on some level to be his friend and was absolutely apalled and shocked that Eggman tried to openly murder Dr. Light.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

JetpackHowwy posted:

How are the Gunvolt games? It seems like the mechanic to damage enemies is just a little too roundabout and can become tedious.

Did you like the Megaman Zero games? It's like them but with an electricity gimmick to damage enemies. I think it's pretty fun, not as good as the Zero series but not bad for a first attempt. I'm looking forward to the sequel because of the second playable character playing more akin to X from the X series.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm surprised Nintendo even still had the rights to pull down the Nintendo Power archive given that they eventually completely broke away from Nintendo of America and became independent before closing down. You'd think Nintendo Power would have had their own rights to earlier issues rather than Nintendo.

But then, Nintendo is the kind of backwards company who will attempt to sue you for even using the word "Nintendo" casually on the Internet so I'm expecting a court order any minute now.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

I beat the first Metroid Prime and it was all right, but I never finished 2 or 3 because I just got really bored playing them.

Metroid also doesn't really have a very strongly established, original universe and lore. Super Metroid and Zero Mission are expertly designed games but aside from the gameplay, general mood and the character of Samus Aran, not much else really stands out. I mean... it is heavily inspired by Alien, after all.

Basically, what makes Metroid well, Metroid is the character of Samus, going around exploring and finding secret items and stuff, and a creepy, isolated, alien atmosphere.

To me, Metroid is like Zelda to me where I like a few of the games and the characters (or in this case, a singular character) but I'm way less into it than a lot of people. Of course, the opposite is the case for Mega Man\Castlevania and me, where a lot of people scratch their heads and wonder why I like all these very samey games so much.

That's not quite true, the series does have some cool stuff like the Chozo and Luminoth, which aren't really things I've seen in any contemporary sci-fi setting. The games just focus more on being actual games instead of bogging you down with lore dumps and character development. Except Other M. And Other M was goddamn awful. The Prime games at least make the lore optional through the scan visor and you need to scan everything if lore about the universe is what you're interested in.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm going to go with X6. I absolutely loathe that game but like Simply Simon said, there's something fascinating about how bad it is and watching others play it is generally entertaining. X7 is a worse game but it's worse in a much more boring way too.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Uncle Wemus posted:

Which makes me wonder why Staf Fox Zero turned out subpar when nintendo was supervising. Platinum has delivered some great stuff on their own but sfz and a couple of their activision games were kind of middling.

It was Nintendo who mostly developed Star Fox Zero, Platinum just did little bits here and there for the development cycle. As for their Activision games, budget mostly. Activision gives them gently caress all for budget and Platinum games are at their best when they've got a large budget and full of spectacle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Larryb posted:

Played a bit of the game and it's pretty fun (though I'm probably going to enjoy playing as Copen more than Gunvolt), each character has unique stages/bosses to choose from (though some are shared between them), it has full (Japanese) voice acting this time (which is kind of funny at times as apparently they changed pretty much everyone's name in the English version).

One problem I have is that this game seems way more dialouge heavy than the previous one to the point where there were several times during the intro where I was wishing the game would just shut up and let me play. And as a side note, the characters swear normally this time around (though honestly I kind of miss "gack").

The characters are actually that chatty in the original Gunvolt as well, the localization cut down a lot of dialogue which I'm a little mixed about; on one hand a lot of world building and character development was cut but on the other hand, it as you said let you play the drat game without having to focus on conversations at the same time. The Steam release of Gunvolt 1 let you switch between the original localization and a re-localization which kept the Japanese voice overs and the chatty dialogue.