Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
MMU is out!
I haven't been this excited for a fangame ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Kyrosiris posted:

Edit: Holy poo poo, either I've lost all aptitude at classic Mega Man games or this is hard. Probably the former. :smith:
It's hard alright, and especially Rainbowman's stage is brutal. Really enjoying it so far though. The level designs I've seen so far really feels like Mega Man, and it feels more polished than SFxMM. I think some enemies have a bit too much health though.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
I wish Kevvviiiin would have done the entire soundtrack, it's so much better than MegaPhilX's tunes.

Gortarius posted:

Rainbowmans stage can go gently caress itself. It's just a beginners trap level, don't bother with it until you've memorized all the beginners traps. Also if you go with buster only, you'll likely get stuck very early i nhte level when you need to turn the laser pointer things, but you are trapped under a laser and can't do it with a projectile that moves horizontally only.
The checkpoint is right before the Laser Devil. I honestly don't know if that is positive or negative.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
I remember Iwata saying something like the reason that NES games were hard was because the developers had gotten so good at playing them that it didn't seem hard to them.

MMU is what happens when someone sets out to make a game as "hard as the classics", and he doesn't take that into account.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
Meanwhile on Facebook:

"You're entitled to your opinion but don't post about it. :smug:"

Gortarius posted:

Also when you die there, you are akesn back to the stage mid checkpoint, instead of the boss hallway room with the shutter doors which is there. Thanks game.
Something that was decided by public vote at their facebook page pre-launch.

Gortarius posted:

Accidentally rushjetted too far, toe touched a spike, I'm dead. Whats with this illusion boss anyway, he isn't even in the game before now (thank god for that) and all he does is teleport and then create a wall of spikes. Fun.
That could be Yokuman. You unlock his stage by finding the four hidden YOKU symbols. From the trailers, his stage looks insanely hard.

e:f;b

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Wasn't MM5 piss easy or was I some type of idiot savant at it as a kid?
When I first played it last year I beat it without getting a single game over, and I'm not really a good Mega Man player. Not counting MMII(GB), it's the easiest Classic game by far.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

AHungryRobot posted:

Easier than MM6? Really? I mean, MM5 has Crystal Man's stage and that really dumb disappearing block segment in Protoman's stage.

Crystal Man's stage is a one-trick pony, once you've realized you need to jump as the icicle is falling it's pretty easy. The real killer is that hoverbike segment. :colbert:

I don't really remember that disappearing block segment as anything special though, care to refresh my memory?

senae posted:

It's a bug with how this game handles gamepads. If you've got the controls mapped to the d-pad you don't seem to be able to press diagonals.
Perhaps this could help?

quote:

When using XPadder or input-assigning software for your controller, the game will listen to more than 1 input at a time and your controls can get messed up.

Work-around: Open the options.xopts file using NotePad and set the following values to zero as such:
<joystick-controls>
<control name=”select” value=”0″ />
<control name=”start” value=”0″ />
<control name=”jump” value=”0″ />
<control name=”fire” value=”0″ />
<control name=”slide” value=”0″ />
<control name=”up” value=”0″ />
<control name=”down” value=”0″ />
<control name=”left” value=”0″ />
<control name=”right” value=”0″ />
<control name=”previous-weapon” value=”0″ />
<control name=”next-weapon” value=”0″ />
</joystick-controls>

EDIT: v Yeah, I can see how it's difficult if you use the longer block path up, but the shorter version is literally three blocks. It's one of the easiest in the series.

Waterfall of Salt fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jul 15, 2013

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
Remember Superhero mode from Mega Man 9? This is kinda like Superhero mode from Mega Man 9.

Despite that, I am still enjoying this somewhat, haven't gotten to the captured Wily stages yet though. Honestly, if nothing else they should have split the main stages in two and do something like a Doc Robot thing, that would make the game a lot more doable.

It's a shame their goal was to make a Mega Man game that would "challenge even experienced Mega Man players" though. I see a lot of potential in the level designs, and the gimmicks are pretty well thought out at first but then they just throw out these bullshit parts and it just ruins the whole thing. Not to say the original games doesn't have things like that, because that Doc Needle Rush Jet segment is a pretty bad level design and then we have the Buubeam traps etc., It's just so frequent in MMU and it's terrible.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Gortarius posted:

I don't feel like finishing this obnoxious game, not until some other poor bastard finds out what the strategy for that boss is.
Yo-yo the underside when he jumps.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
Phil just posted something on the MMU facebook page.

quote:

Hi guys! Phil here. I just wanted to drop by and let you know how overwhelmed I am by this whole MMU thing. We never thought the bandwidth on the website would expldoe so much. I wanna thank you all for your nice comments on the game and seeing so many people who like the game makes it all worthwhile.
I'm really sorry for some of the bugs some of you have encountered and for the difficulty that might have turned off some of you.
For now we are going to rest a little bit and see how many issues we'll fix in the next update. We might try to adress the difficulty issue a bit too. We'll see.
I'll do my best to keep the site up to date and stuff. Again, thanks for all the love. We all appreciate it! - Phil
Emphasis mine. He mentioned on the forums that he's burnt out, but hopefully we'll see some improvements later on.

Almost all of the soundtrack is up here. There's some great tracks in there.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Mister Roboto posted:

Zero going crazy and killing off the MM cast has been part of fandom for like 15 years.

Yeah, Inafune said that's not really likely, but it's the best reason anyone can come up with at the moment as to why none of MM remains in the future.

Protoman has that illness that will eventually kill him, Mega Man turns into Quint and is destroyed in MMV(GB), and considering the MM9 robot masters have expiration dates, it's not too far a stretch to believe the rest of the robots do as well.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

potaties posted:

I just played Megaman Unlimited for awhile, and it's got an incredible amount of charm and an equal amount of bullshit.

The music is great, the level gimmicks are awesome, and even the enemy designs and patterns tend to be really cool. It's too bad about the abundance of pixel-perfect jumps and the length of the levels without enough checkpoints. I'm nervous to see the Wily Stages. Despite the flaws, I'm still coming away with a far better impression than I did SFxMM, but it's just a teeny bit too far in the "crazy poo poo" spectrum for me to consider it fantastic. I'll try sticking with it for awhile longer.

This is basically my opinion as well. If the difficulty was somewhere around MM9 or MM3 it would probably be my favorite Mega Man game, but as it stands it's currently somewhere above MM8 and MM1. I have to admit that once you got the patterns for Rainbow Man's stage down it's actually a really fun stage, but before that it's total bullshit.

I've played it for three hours so far and defeated three robot masters: Rainbow Man > Nail Man > Yo-Yo Man. I made it to Comet Woman and she just dealt so much damage I was demolished before I even knew it. The weapons all seem to be super useful so far.

Also I have no idea what I was doing there.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
Easy mode coming to MMU:

Their facebook page posted:

Phil here to tell you what we have in mind for a future update:
- Fix the more annoying bugs.
- Minor tweaks to some of the stages to make them a bit less punishing and improve their designs.
- Easy Mode you can select when you start the game to reduce damage of enemies, save between Wily stages and make some of the gimmicks easier to deal with (Example: longer delay before a Laser fires in RainbowMan stage.) Also we'll see if the checkpoints of Wily Stages can be moved before the bosses in Easy Mode.
Now I hope you understand that we are all pretty tired and we need to test such new features so I can't tell when the update will be available but just to let you know, we're thinking about it.

Colon Semicolon posted:

Can anyone find a working version of that anymore? for some reason it's just unplayable on any system higher than XP service pack 1. Matter of fact, I can't even find the finalized version of it that had a proper stage for Storm Eagle and finished cutscenes/ending. it's like all of it dissappeared!
Heavy Sigh is doing an LP of it here, so maybe you can ask him?

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Gortarius posted:

I thought the Wily boss checkpoints were glitched? Apparently they are all hosed up on purpose. Ok.
Haha no, the checkpoint being 3/4ths through the stage in the Wily stages was decided by a poll on their Facebook page. 66% wanted that, 27% wanted a checkpoint right before the boss and 7% wanted only a midway checkpoint. :rolleyes:

Gortarius posted:

Why is it easymode and not just improved game?

Waterfall of Salt posted:

- Minor tweaks to some of the stages to make them a bit less punishing and improve their designs.
- Easy Mode
It's both.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
And V1.1.0 of MMU is also out

MegaPhilX posted:

Megaman Unlimited version 1.1.0 is now available for download! (Includes Easy Mode)
http://megaphilx.com/?page_id=1003

So, what's the big deal? Here are the details:
- Added Easy Mode and Insta-Kill Mode
- Misc level modifications based on your feedback
- Added checkpoints before Castle bosses in all difficulty
- Any button can now skip cutscenes
- Added possibility to exit from completed stage
- Fixed gamepads relying on the ‘hat’ for DPad (Xbox360, others)
- Fixed glitch allowing megaman to zip through walls using certain platforms (Glue, others)
- Fixed JetMan staying stuck in the ground occasionally
- Fixed issue when pausing during a sceen transition
- Allow the player to save after completing the game

What are the new modes?:

EASY - Play an easier version of the game.
- Enemies deal less damage.
- Some enemies are less aggressive.
- Final stages have an extra checkpoint.
- Platforms are placed to help you in more difficult areas.

INSTA-DEATH - Play the game in original difficulty but with special rules.
- Megaman dies instantly.
- You can't use Energy Tanks.
I haven't played it yet though, so no idea what the minor modifications are.

Blackheart posted:

I remember there was going to be an anniversary collection for the GBA, with all the gameboy megaman games in full color. Sadly I think it was never released, that would have been kickin' rad.

Yeah, Mega Man Mania was sadly cancelled. :( I think there's a fan project going on that aims to do the same, though.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Ephraim225 posted:

Ooh. Starting to think MMU could benefit from including the charge shot. Have they said why they didn't include it?

Arcademia interview posted:

“Personally, Mega Man 2 I’m a little bit tired of,” Poulin said. “I decided to go more for a Mega Man 3 feel because I thought it was a really cool game. I think the charge shot kind of breaks the whole – you know, it renders the special weapons a little bit useless, and you always hear that charging sound all the time, and I always thought it was way better balanced with just the small shots and the special weapons, then you will end up using the special weapons way more. And I think that’s why Mega Man 5 and 6 in particular are not very good.”
Honestly I have to agree with this. Charge is a little bit TOO powerful

^e:f;b

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
My dream Mega Man game is a 3D platformer starring Quint made by Platinum, which is pretty much the most unlikely thing to happen, ever. Oh well, I can dream, can't I? :allears:

EDIT: The bosses would have lyrics about them by The Megas, Metal Gear Rising-style

Waterfall of Salt fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 18, 2013

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
Ahahaha, wonderful, Inti did versions of Beck based on pretty much every single Mega Man series. Give me a Mighty Network 9 game, Comcept :swoon:

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Astro Nut posted:

Kinda interested by the combiner-bot Beck though. I wonder if something like that'll come up in the game at all, a super mode to combine abilities.
From what I remember about what we've heard so far, something inbetween Megabyte Punch's equip system and Axl's Copy Shot seems rather likely to be Beck's weapon gimmick

chumbler posted:

I just noticed that Beck looks like he's wearing a banana hammock and now I can't unsee it.
The natural evolution of briefs. you rear end in a top hat now I can't unsee it either :argh:

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Stink Terios posted:

MM2GB has good tunes buried under bad instrumentation :colbert:

MM8's soundtrack is so bad I struggle to remember most songs.

MM2GB has what I honestly think is the second best soundtrack in the series, and it's a drat shame the instrumentaion ruins it.
I mean listen to this and tell me it honestly deserves the reputation it gets.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Captain Invictus posted:

Seriously, saying those are better than the original Magnet Man, Needle Man, and especially Hard Man? No way dude.
Yeah, I think especially the Hard Man GB stage sounds better. :colbert: While I do prefer GB Needle Man, it's mostly because NES Needle Man is the weakest part of the soundtrack. I'll give you Magnet Man. ...Not going to defend Metal Man's stage though.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Spelling Mitsake posted:

But even then, a lot it is pretty bland and repetitive.
Yeah, on one hand you have the credits theme, the title theme, Airman's, Magnet Man's and Hard Man's theme, which have some great compositions with terrible instrumentations. On the other hand, you have Quint's theme, which is a terrible like four second long loop. There's actually an unfinished combination of Quint's theme and the credits theme, which suffers from even worse instrumentation than any other song in the soundtrack. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrUenb6KZ0U.

Speaking of Megaman music, The Megas new album is out. The quality is all over the place but some of the tracks are pretty rad.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
Oh, I have a lot of memories from reading MMHP. That was my first contact with Mega Man sites and perhaps even fansites in general.
In other news, there's a new version of Mega Man Unlimited, with Whirlpoolman as a special boss, as well as an Endless Attack mode. If you thought the main game was hard, then... :suicide:

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

senae posted:

Obviously, this all depends on the design skill of whoever puts the maps together, but I'm pretty stoked for a Mega Man Game with legitimate difficulty settings.
Does Mega Man 9 not count or...?

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

senae posted:

I was under the impression that MM9s difficulty settings just tweaked damage values and covered up spikes. Am I wrong?

You're thinking of Mega Man 10 easy mode, and even then there's a hard mode with more enemies, new enemy patterns and boss AI.

Mega Man 9 has Hard mode and Superhero mode, which changes enemy placements, adds more enemies, adds enemies from other stages, etc.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

ImpAtom posted:

Mega Man Battle Network 4 was the only game to approach the sales of the 8-bit era games.
Approach is kind of underselling it, Battle Network is the second best selling Mega Man game released at 1.35 million, after Mega Man 2 at 1.51 million. X and 3 are the only other Mega Man games to break a million in sales.

v
EDIT: Oh, don't get me wrong, BN4 is not a good game, but it still sold drat well.

Waterfall of Salt fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 23, 2014

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

What was that classic mega man romhack that had partly completed zero as a bossfight called? I remember watching someone play it maybe a year ago or something like that.

At least I'm pretty sure it was classic MM I dunno because for -some reason- searching 'mega man romhack zero boss fight' doesn't turn things up.

That's because Mega Man Unlimited isn't a romhack :v:

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

The Bee posted:

UNEDRWATER!!!

Great Joe posted:

you forgot swimming in the dog :colbert:
That's UNDERWATER and drive in a dog, guys :colbert:

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Lurdiak posted:

Link cables were some nightmare technology and I can't imagine emulating them over the internet could be any fun.
Sadly, this is probably the reason why there's no decent emulator netplay for VBA

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

ImpAtom posted:

Yes. The console market is dying and handhelds are the ones that are thriving. This is a thing that is happening in the real world.
That is exactly what's going on in Japan, yeah.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
Thriving might be the wrong word, but the handheld market is still very much dominating in Japan. No home console managed to break a million in 2014 sales, while the 3ds sold three million and even the Vita sold 1.1 million.

Handhelds are dying, but I definitely see them outlasting home consoles in Japan

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
Axl is the best because he's a kid who really really wants to lay down some sick burns but he is just insanely incompetent at doing that. He's just a li'l whiny dork :3:

also :argh:

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

What is this from?
ZX, which is the best MegaMan once you get over the dumb metroidvania implementation.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Pureauthor posted:

Pft. ZX is like Zero only not quite as good.
Zero 3 is the second best, but it doesn't have Model HX :colbert:

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
It's not RNG, each quest has a fixed position for the item. Still indefensively bad though.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
Considering MN9 and Gunvolt, what type of tagging mechanic do you think Red Ash is going to have? :v:

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

TheKingofSprings posted:

I used to post on a forum where they were trying to make a loving sequel for Battle Network 6.

It collapsed, as most fan projects do. I would bet at least one other person in this thread was also there once upon a time, and I can name at least two people on this forum I recognize from it.

You're talking about the TUS BN7 project, right? I think I remember your username from there.

That brings back memories. I wasn't part of the project (aside from submitting a navi to the Fan Navi Contest that Sammi won) but I remember finding the private development boards archived elsewhere after TUS shut down and from the looks of it it was hilariously badly managed and it's a miracle it didn't break down even earlier than it did.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
ZX remakes the MMX intro stage. Battle Network 4 reuses an Undernet area from BN2.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
Just have the Jet adapter equipped at all times. Jet adapter was the best part of MM6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

jivjov posted:

Nope. The beta is most likely treated as a completely different product. So if you have the beta and and full game, you'll end up with two different entries in your Library.

I'm pretty sure the beta key is actually the same as the full version, considering the links at the side lead directly to the store page for MN9, unlike say the Skullgirls beta. Also, having played the MN9 special demo version, some thoughts:

- They at least nailed the dash. Feels fluid, right speed, wonderful to use.
- Buster still isn't satisfying to hit with, though.
- Mighty No 5 (Military Base) still has the best theme
- Mighty No 3 (Power Plant) still sounds like absolute garbage
- Boss fights still awful. Cool concepts, but due to the fact that the bosses are bullet sponges due to the whole absorbtion mechanic makes them very obnoxious to fight
- No special weapons in the demo as far as 'I know. Could maybe saybe the boss fights but there's really no way to know
- Holy poo poo Dr Sanda is the most obnoxious character and I wish he would shut up.
- Call is okay though.
- Still don't know what the whole deal with xels are. Feels like the most pointless addition since the gems in SFxT
- 8-bit themes are neat, also makes the Power plant theme slightly less obnoxious.
- Holy poo poo the Power Plant theme is so goddamn bad holy poo poo.
- Overall the game is still pretty fun. It's not great but it's not bad either. About X8-level enjoyable.