Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Star Man posted:

In conclusion, people only bought Legacy Collection 1 to play Mega Man 2. The only thing I find surprising is that Mega Man 1 has a higher completion rate than any of the other games released after Mega Man 2.

People are probably starting with 1, intending to go through the whole series in order, but petering out partway through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Flytrap posted:

People have been clamoring for a Cataclysm game for years honestly, not knowing that it's completely fanon. It just got popular enough that it's just sort of assumed that Zero killed everyone despite like. No evidence that he did anything at all before he woke up and got decked by Sigma.

There's no clear evidence that the super powerful evil robot from the evil robot maker, infected by a computer virus that turns robots into killing machines, has anything to do with the destruction of Light's Lab or the disappearance of the entire classic-era cast. But it's pretty obvious why people gravitate to that theory when there's also no evidence against it. Hell, Zero caused decades of robot wars just by getting punched in the head once.

Kinda a shame the Bob and George community has apparently totally vanished from the internet some years ago. I guess it's fitting given that the Megaman franchise is basically dead, but it's rare to see a community disappear so completely.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

AngryRobotsInc posted:

You just got to accept that the plotline of the X series basically boils down to "The dumbest motherfuckers on the planet making dumb rear end decisions." and enjoy the ride.

"I know this guy tried to beat our best Hunter's head in with a bit of rusty pipe, while laughing manically. But did you see how strong he is?" is just the beginning of dumb rear end decisions, and it keeps on going.

My favorite without a doubt is Repliforce

Robots keep randomly turning into killer robots and wreaking havoc, and the entire solution to that for most of the X series is "i dunno, build more, better-armed robots", but Repliforce takes it a level beyond

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Hrist posted:

I tried it for a few days because of this thread. I never put money into it, but had enough free stuff to do a few pulls. Got Protoman and a few giant boobed OCs. The stages were fine enough. But eventually hit the sudden "No, seriously. Pay up." stage. It's not a difficulty thing. It's a straight up numbers thing. It felt like you're expected to spend weeks doing auto stages or something. I feel like it's honestly worse than others I've tried. But I've never played action focused ones, so maybe they're all like this in this style.

You don't have to pay up to proceed, but your progress is essentially time-locked otherwise, because the daily-limited rewards and missions and poo poo are your main source of materials needed to make the number go up

If you log in and do the same dozen grind missions 1-2 times every day, number will go up slowly but surely. And since it's all based on number, rolling the gacha doesn't even really help (unless you roll a character with a self-healing, which breaks the difficulty over its knee)

the point is just to keep you coming back every single day to be tempted by all the gachas and special offers and bonus rolls and poo poo

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
fortunately we got the Zero series afterwards so we could get our fill of those classic Zero lines like "......"

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Chev posted:

The Mega Man zero complete works tells it a bit differently, so I guess it's either diverging translations or a Rashomon situation (EDIT: It's Aizu both times so I guess he might just be saying whatever). What's yours from?

it looks like exactly the same story, except glossing over the parts that might lead to inconvenient corporate politics

complete works came out when they were still actively making Megaman games for Capcom, so they're a little more concerned about maintaining a good relationship with Capcom, and don't want to emphasize that Capcom execs pushed a story change on them at basically the last second

the interview's from a few years later when the Megaman franchise is basically dead, Gunvolt is doing well, and upcoming hit Mighty No 9 is just around the corner (:laugh:), so they're not as concerned about blaming things on Capcom

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Kanos posted:

I always thought that one worked, but my original view of the maverick virus was that it mostly just short-circuited any pre-programmed inhibitions or programming and let the victim do whatever they wanted, effectively granting them complete free will - hence the name. In that context, Zero turning good was more "Zero decided to be a good person once he had the ability to do so" rather than "Zero passed through the opposite day filter".

The reason why it turns so many robots "evil" is a vicious Catch-22 cycle - some mavericks decided to turn into rampaging murderers, so society established an organization dedicated to hunting down all mavericks, so now anyone who goes maverick is de facto enemy of the state and is pretty much forced into violence and banding together with other violent mavericks to simply preserve their own life/freedom.

This interpretation got shakier the farther the series progressed because it honestly felt like they were changing what the hell the virus was about with every subsequent game.

It seemed pretty clear that being Maverick was not just one thing

Some Mavericks are largely-rational revolutionaries who see themselves as fighting for Reploid freedom, some of them let their obsession with something dumb overwhelm their ethics and common sense, and some of them were so mentally out of it that they could barely even talk anymore

I get the impression that the Maverick virus just fucks with robot brains, and exactly how hosed they get depends on how much of a dose they get and how their brain is built. Sometimes it just knocks out a couple of ethics circuits, sometimes it scrambles half their brain

And as Reploid brains get more advanced, we see them begin to be able to go "Maverick" themselves without necessarily being exposed to a virus at all

Takoluka posted:

I thought the Maverick Virus that was causing Zero issues and all of the X series issues in general was the Evil Energy from Mega Man 8.

It makes complete and perfect sense, and smoothly explains why there is basically an unbroken line of seemingly-indestructible evil from series to series: Wily's creation turned Sigma evil, the Mother Elf that destroyed the Sigma virus turned evil itself and had to be sealed rather than destroyed, and Dr Weil who turned evil alongside the Mother Elf was so incredibly immortal that the wreckage of the space station he died on was still full of his malevolent will or something a century after he died

So of course that's the one explanation that I've never seen official sources attempt to offer

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Tallgeese posted:

Well to be fair, let's not forget Wily himself was a bit of a copycat.

..wait, who am I kidding, didn't he just steal like half his robots?

Building eight sentient war machines and a small army of robots doesn't come cheap!

I really like the ways in which the lore refers to Wily having to get creative to deal with the fiscal realities of being a failed robot overlord. For example, little tidbits from the robot master profiles, like how Crystal Man was originally built so Wily could make money by selling the crystals, or how Junk Man was built to scavenge junkyards for usable parts Wily could use in his robot-building, or how Frost Man was built out of extra/spare parts for Clown Man. With a budget like that, it's no wonder he stole robots when he could.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Artelier posted:

Thanks everyone! Guess I'll go replay (some of) the series! Not feeling turn-based atm so Baten Kaitos is out for now but I might dip into the Lost Kingdoms series!

There's a Battle Network Legacy Collection coming out next year, if you want an up-to-date experience.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

TheKingofSprings posted:

I know modern business economics demand franchises strip mine whatever longtime fan goodwill and popularity they have for the sake of a cash-in but Megaman seems like a uniquely bad franchise to try that with for many reasons

They mostly just did that stuff with the original characters added just for the game. The preexisting characters were generally handled a little more tastefully.

Ultimately, I dropped off of X Dive because it just wasn't that fun. The story was absolutely terrible, and the gameplay pretty quickly drops off into basic stat checks where platforming skill was totally unimportant and progress was gated entirely by logging in every day to grind the daily quests till you leveled up enough to survive the levels.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Give me Stupid Sexy Sigma

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
I suppose it's nice that they're not just burying it altogether, but I wonder how much they're going to charge for it.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
X Dive Offline hits stores in a week. Launch day is Sept 1

they're charging $30 for it, which is kind of a tough sell

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Larryb posted:

Is that just for the International version or will it be releasing in the US simultaneously as well?

Also, they said you wont be able to transfer save data from the existing version over to the offline version correct?

I dunno, here's the Steam page for it

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2183650/MEGA_MAN_X_DiVE_Offline/

And yeah, no save data transfer at all. It's a fresh start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp_lBbRNIa4

Looks like Element Metals are going to be earned as stage completion rewards now, and the gachas are completely gone - you buy characters directly (with ingame currency, not real money) instead of rolling for them. The stamina mechanics (AP and EP) appear to be gone too, so you can grind as much as you want.

All of the events (including seasonals) will be available to play anytime, the PVP skills will be rebalanced for PVE since the offline version doesn't have PVP, and they're adding a mode to listen to the music and voice clips.

Kind of a weird state for it to be in, honestly. It's more changes than I expected them to put into it, but not enough changes for it to be a compelling $30 experience on its own.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
How do you get characters in this one? Just buy them from the store? And if so, can you buy anyone anytime or is it time-limited?

If you can buy anyone anytime, then you can just grab a character with self-heal skills (especially the later characters who've benefited from the inevitable gacha game power creep) and then completely ignore the recommended power levels.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
I don't think there was a Summer Marino. X Dive just had base Marino, her Quicksilver mode as an alternate skin, and Halloween Marino.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Kurui Reiten posted:

Yes, and even there the weapons are primarily used to shoot straight forward, and he even relies on the Buster itself. A couple of the weapons, when charged, have basically screen clearing niches, but the others are more or less just buster replacements. Which are fairly pointless when the game's Buster is one of the most powerful in the series.

X4's arsenal is just kind of "alright", like the rest of the game. There's nothing BAD about it, but it's the most average game in the series. If it was just X and his story, people wouldn't hold it in nearly as high regard as they do. Zero is super fun to use and his story's got all the fun cheesy bits, but the level design and stuff are just "fine" at best, and the endgame lets the rest down pretty hard.

???

It might be hard to tell based on that video since it's brief clips of some dude speedrunning, but the only X4 weapons that travel straight forward are the Lightning Web and Soul Body, both of which do things the buster doesn't do

Rising Fire goes straight up, Twin Slasher goes diagonally up and down, Double Cyclone goes diagonally upward on both sides, Ground Hunter goes down and follows the ground, Aiming Laser can go any direction you want, and Frost Tower doesn't go anywhere at all

It's certainly a big improvement over X3's miserable weapons lineup

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Pollyanna posted:

What is the central core that makes the games fun? Platforming? Weapons RPS?

Solid platforming with a set of interesting weapons that give you a wide array of potential approaches to each level.

Pollyanna posted:

MM’s kinda screwed because its identity is too heavily tied to the original mechanics and gameplay, and if people lose interest in those the IP doesn’t have anything else to bring to the table. That’s part of why Battle Network (and to an extent, Star Force) was so successful: it wasn’t a Mega Man game, not in the classical sense. It also makes it easier for other studios to eat Capcom’s lunch by refining the formula in their own way, creating further competition.

Honestly, I’d be pretty down for an open-world adventure, competitive battler, Metroidvania, soulsborne, or Assorted Weird Indie Thing using the IP. Something other than a gacha and a copy of what’s already come before. Or maybe just play Lies of P instead, which in retrospect is hilariously a middle ground between the classic and X plots and settings.

I don't think people have lost interest in the original mechanics and gameplay. I think Capcom lost interest in the original mechanics and gameplay, and as it attempted to diversify the series it pushed out a bunch of stuff that didn't really appeal to the audiences the earlier games had attracted.

That's particularly true for the X series, which got increasingly loaded down with terrible gimmick mechanics and declining quality (looking at you, X6!), and then tried a notoriously rocky transition to 3D with plenty of bad decisions.

Meanwhile, the Classic series had been retired in favor of two separate attempts at trying to turn Megaman into an RPG. As the 00s dragged on, they straight-up stopped making Megaman games for consoles, and both of their successful GBA Megaman franchises got ended in favor of entirely new series with different mechanics on the DS. Not that Battle Network was doing so great after they trashed a bunch of fan goodwill with the garbage fire that was BN4.

I don't think people got tired of platformers. I think executives got tired of platformers, and made a number of bad decisions as they tried to innovate the brand well beyond its original roots.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Kanos posted:

It turns out digging up a robot with an extremely experimental sapience circuit that was put in a pod for decades to let said sapience circuit stabilize and then going "man that's pretty cool, what if we tried to copy this thing we barely understand and then used it in the manufacture of ten billion robots with guns and superpowers" is a bad idea.

Thanks, Dr. Cain, you loving idiot.

what are you talking about, "some of the robots are going insane and attacking humans, clearly the only solution is to build killer robots and give them guns to hunt down the other robots" was a brilliant idea with absolutely no foreseeable downsides

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Last Celebration posted:

Z1 was so mean, goddamn. At least the Z2-4 bosses having new moves meant you got to steal them, all that does in Z1 is attempt to break your A rank streak.

It's meaner in Z2-3 where rank actually matters

At least in Z1 there's no consequence to losing your A rank, so it doesn't really matter if your rank gets knocked down. In Z2 and Z3, you actually have to care about losing rank and specifically work to keep it from happening

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
The big chunks of color on a lot of the enemies and bosses really stood out to me too. X1-X3 enemies don't really have that - they usually have a lot of fine detailing to break up any large areas of a single color. In cases where the design didn't allow for that, elaborate shading is used to break up those large areas so it doesn't stand out so much as a drab block of color.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Yeah, though it is a pretty fun rhythm game. Almost scratches that itch I've been having of wanting of a new superbeat xonic, though part of me feels like the note rails being split up like they are is a little weird.

Also, I saw this being talked about online the other day, and I haven't gotten to try the demo myself, but based on the little gameplay snippet it shows it certainly seems to wear its influences on its shoulder.

https://twitter.com/VRS_VUP/status/1754435945993245042

Tried the demo and can confirm that it's fun. It plays basically just like Megaman Zero (plus divekicks) and isn't shy about it, and the highway stage in the demo is clearly very heavily inspired by the first stage of Megaman X.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
Akira Kitamura, who directed Megaman 1 and Megaman 2, made a Twitter account last month and has been answering questions about the games he worked on, including those two.

He also apologized for Boobeam Trap, that infamous Megaman 2 boss.
https://twitter.com/ak_blueprints/status/1772608781848903912

quote:

I must sincerely apologize for this. sorry. There are reasons for this. It's a long story that I can't write here. I'll tell you when the time is right. 😆

A lot of the game design details is stuff that had come out elsewhere before, like Megaman originally being planned to be white and have a head that changes for each power. But when talking about the more thematic stuff and overall setting, as well about talking about it from a game design perspective, there's some stuff I haven't seen before. For example:
https://twitter.com/ak_blueprints/status/1773755310987194713

quote:

For Rockman, changing colors means fighting. But now that everything is over, that color is no longer necessary. I expressed this empty color change in a positive way by reflecting it on the changing seasons. It's a slightly abstract performance. Actually, I was planning to add a message to this video like the opening. disappointing. 😓

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
https://twitter.com/ak_blueprints/status/1778773793017897138

the secret to why you'll just sometimes randomly fall off those floating platforms in Ice Man's stage when you try to jump on or off of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Dabir posted:

Yeah well Strike Chain is fiddly enough to use even as a weapon against large targets, fishing a 1up out of a slightly out of line hole like that is asking a bit much.

They did also post an image explaining the problem:

Since "being able to grab items with the chain" was part of the Strike Chain's design, they'd really wanted to have at least one spot where the player wouldn't be able to get an item without using it.

But because the Strike Chain comes out exactly at buster height, it's impossible to line up a 1-tile-high gap such that X can fire the chain through it while standing. In both A and C, the chain hits the wall at the edge of the gap. But if they increased the size of the gap to 2 tiles like in B, X would be able to air-dash in and get the items without using the chain.