Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

The Human Crouton posted:

I think you should jump straight into Mega Man X6.

After that the next best is X7. X6 and X7 really are out there in their own league as far as the X-series is concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Black Mage Knight posted:

Yeah, but those games also usually had much more interesting boss fights than "Guy who runs at you and every now and then jumps".

Eh? He announces everything he's about to do. I even switched to English because the Japanese taunts sounded the same to me.

But I've also only taken the time to play the Pyro-whatever level and found it to be pretty dull. Dash right, dash right. Dash right? Dash right. Ladders maybe, but dash right.

More annoying to me is the speed that projectiles enter from the top of the screen, where you spend way too much time by the way, and the stupid loving pillars. This game doesn't give two shits about how gravity works and just suddenly drops objects from the top of the screen trying to smash you or bounce you into a pit. Even the hotheads in MM2 had their shots arc at the top. It feels cheap and clumsy like the crappy "retro" indie games everyone and their mother tries to make.

Still looking forward to the full game, but knowing it's complete already is a bit of a shame.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Star Man posted:

Enjoy a Throwback Thursday. I've had this fucker for nineteen years.

Is that the painful 256-color DOS version that came with a beige 6-button gamepad?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Star Man posted:

Yeep. But mine did not come with a controller, it was just the CD, manual, and whatever advertising that was with all of it in the box. But my consolation prize that Christmas was a Microsoft Sidewinder.

I played the DOS version with the keyboard using the default controls. I'd task out to Windows 95 all the time by pressing alt to jump and Ctrl to dash.

You didn't really miss out on anything. The controller, basically a rip-off of the Sega 6-button pad, was nice while it lasted but either fell apart or just wasn't as comfy as the Sidewinder I also eventually got.

Somewhere in this room that CD is, as well as the X3 and X4 Windows ports I got in the clearance bin. Love those ports.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
If anything, I'm just sad that they're stuck on an abandoned Unreal engine version and need some multiplayer stretch goal that I think no one wants anymore.

All I wanted was some blue robot platforming :colbert:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Star Man posted:

I'm the one person on earth that likes Mega Man 8.

But nearly all of my favorite video games are on the PSX.

My only issue with MM8 is "JUMP! JUMP! SLIDE! JUMPDUCKDUCKSLIDE SLIDESLIDEJUSLIJU--!" (sound of Mega Man dying)

Love it otherwise.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Star Man posted:

I haven't been frustrated by either jet sled sections since 1998. I don't care for them, but I also don't have the vitriol for them that others do.

I'm pretty sure I haven't touched it since MM Anniversary came out. Before that hadn't played it since release-ish and it caught me off guard at the time with how abrupt the pacing increase was compared to the rest of the game in that Wily stage.

Didn't know people were that heated about it.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I actually liked X5's giant sprites and crazy shift from X4. The ducking was weird though... really weird. Definitely a game to try again and see if I suddenly hate it. X6-7 were total trash. X6 is just a bottomless pit/spike torture simulator and X7 is specifically a 3D camera torture simulator.

R&F/M&B was the SNES/GBA game that reused a ton of MM8 assets, though that was done on purpose according to this.

X8 is more or less a 2.5D classic X with the anime cranked to maximum fighting robots and evil laughter. I recall liking it a lot despite any roughness on the edges. Someone did an LP of the PC port and I think swapped all of the music tracks with his own because they were MP3 or OGG.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Anybody play the side-scrolling Battle Network game for Gamecube? I remember not hating it.

I recall not hating it too, but I also recall absolutely giving up on the bulletsponge hidden final boss, Bass. That was loving stupid as far as memory serves.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

pick-e posted:

Inafune no. That isn't how it works. It was also too hardcore for older players... or was it just me?

Apparently adolescent Japanese children are just that hardcore
Or the man lost his mind the day he wrote the design doc :iiam:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
X1 is worth more than peanuts somehow?!

I think my copy of X Collection GCN is worth the same as it's always been, maybe a few more. Even X7-8 are worth more than a good joke right now through this magic. And somehow the amazing MM8 isn't in on this pricing bubble... well I guess taste has nothing to do with it.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Comcept email posted:

Hey Mighties!
First of all, we are very sorry for the trouble our backers experienced with the survey that was sent out yesterday. As of 5 minutes ago, the new survey started to go out! (We wanted to start the send out earlier, but the survey system was in lockdown for us for 24 hours.)
:words:

C'mere, you little survey. Bring MN9 closer to me so we can yell at each other in here about what we think are the pros/cons.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I was gonna call you all crying manbabies when I saw the flack over the trailer.

It's not so bad if you mute it though. But if you leave that voice over on, the urge to demand a refund rises.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Picked up ML2 after noticing a Capcom sale on r/gamedeals. And here we are.

Since I'm too lazy to look on my own, are there any scaling options for classic/emulated games on the Vita/TV??

E: Oops, got this confused with the Vita thread.

Andrigaar fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 8, 2016

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Looks good to me. Not great, just good. Probably a safe bet to say the multiplayer they had a skeleton crew poking at for an extra year won't be worth the time spent typing this here, but we all expect that at the least.

I for one and hyped just enough to finish it once, start a second playthrough where I try to dash as quick as I can for a clumsy non-speedrunner, and quit half-way through on that attempt.

PS: That ice floor looks especially cancerous.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Just give me my Steam code, please. C'mon now, Inafune, we've had enough delays and some of us just want to see and install it now.

Tuesday's the day, right

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

xezton posted:

At this point I'm half tempted to post my key code on here when I finally get it.

I regret ever tossing :20bux: to this project.

Do not give in to anger. Just try to finish the game once before shuffling it off into your bad games Steam category. Mine shame folder is named "Well that's completely boring" and definitely features games some people found lots of fun.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Alteisen posted:

From my limited animation experience, it seems like they bent the knee to far back in the idle animation and never corrected it.

Two likely possibilities:
1) The hip joint is too high for how forward Beck's left leg is, so it's hyper-extending and doesn't have a squash/stretch on the rig.
2) The legs are still IK, but the knee direction controller is too close to or is behind the knee

I'm leaning toward #1 because of that weird pop the knee does when his hips rise in the idle pose.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I'm not at home right now, but I've got a no-DRM download and 3 listed Steam keys via Humble.

Let the letdown begin! (In 30-40 minutes+install time)

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
My Ray DLC also came up as Retro Mineshit DLC.

Is the retro key also retro, or did they just muss up their database?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

They messed up the database most likely.

Oh, I was hoping that the Ray/Retro were swapped in their entry. Maybe you meant that too.

Anyway, two different keys and both were Retro. Also since Steam won't even let me install it (restarting Steam as I type this), I'm installing the unsigned no-DRM version also right now.

Okay, restarted Steam before posting and still not an option. 8 hours at 10am I suppose.

E: "Borderless Window" is just windowed mode. Good start so far.

Andrigaar fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jun 21, 2016

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Didn't Pyro announce each attack every time in that beta/test?

Right now once he goes blue he stops talking and if he touches you it's a 1-hit-KO.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I'm also enjoying the game for what it is: A blue robot infinitely air dashes and shoots little pellets - The Game.

No.1/Pyro - That dickhead flaming quarterback with insta-kills and the level with the falling pillars we all hated from the beta.
No.2/Cryo - Dashed a bunch to the boss, bitch hits HARD in second phase so sloppy play made me start over once or twice.
No.3/Dyna - I dashed a bunch again until I got to the boss.
No.4/Mic - I think this level was made by someone who thought the X6 level design was good.
No.5/Bat - I'm not sure what happened. I think I died once mid-way and then cleared the boss first attempt somehow.
DLC/Ray - Cheesy/Campy setup, but the fight looked cool with how you zip around the boss

I just looked and the save file isn't somewhere smart like MyDocs. I'll have to copy that over when Steam finally lets me install it, though I won't have access to Ray on Steam until further notice.

So far I'll just put it on par with X8, which I haven't played in so many years that you shouldn't take this comment too seriously. But I liked X8 despite reasons I probably shouldn't have, and I feel the same so far for the first half-ish of MNo.9.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Colon Semicolon posted:

Guys you're forgetting the best Megaman fangame of all, Megaman 21XX

hahaaa nah it's a huge clusterfuck with a ton of bad decisions and fanfiction.net plotline and mary sue OCs. Also it's a pain to even get running these days.

poo poo, what?

I've almost bought that game a few times.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I am completely stuck on the Trinity's second form. Though the main reasons are 1) it's tedious as gently caress, 2) if you dash the two-segment version of the snake/plant/whatever when too close, it seems to be moving so quickly that it hits you before you hit it.

As much as I'm overall enjoying this game, this is just boring and having to risk damage, with no E-Tanks/sub-tanks, so I can dash through the boss is loving horrible.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Honestly I kinda feel like most bosses have way too much health in this game. Also I have no idea why they decided that the E-tank equivalent would disappear on death. That just seems like the worst decision.

Wait, is that what the "AxCel Recovery" things do? No, really, this game doesn't explain enough and I have no idea what those things do.

Christ, checking the loving "tips" section as I alt-tab back.

E: Hey, no tip in the tip section. Joy.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

If you are using the DRM free version you have to make sure it is running in administrator mode otherwise it won't save.
Sounds like a good reason to never install a game to X:\Program Files
Installed elsewhere, didn't have that.

I would suggest using the sword to just cut the projectiles and remove their hitboxes during the first phase. Really Trinity is just kind of a terrible final boss, what with her pretty much being a suped up Devil fight.

Wait, is that why spamming the sword causes them to do no damage? It wasn't working if I was too close, but step or to back and it they passed through Beck as I mashed away.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Here's a fun one. Using the sword's shot cancel, I just stood next to the 2nd phase 2nd form (sprays puke vertically) and just went slash crazy. After a few tries for whatever reason this time it canceled the shots and I only took damage when dashing though the shots to secure the life reduction on the boss.

:iiam:

Tried Ray for the tutorial level after. Seems pretty fun for rushing around and killing. But that's way too much of this game for last night and today... ugh.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Larryb posted:

Yes, those are full heals though you have to build them up a bit first by absorbing enemies with blue energy (a little blue circle will appear under your life bar when it's full, at which point you can use it either in the pause menu or by pressing the " - " button).

Honestly, if they make a sequel (which I wouldn't mind actually) I hope they either tone down the dash mechanic or provide a long range equivalent to it as well like maybe a charged shot or have the special weapons serve the same functionality. The worst example of this is probably during the Avi fight where if he's too far away from you when he starts flashing it's nearly impossible to hit him with the dash without killing yourself in the process.

I started poking around at them and am not sure what the difference in the two AxCels are. I only mention that because the item-bot before the final boss dropped an item that filled my 2nd tank, but not the first tank. Good to know though.

As for the Avi fight, if he's in his high pause position doing the left-right-left (or reverse) swoops, you can dash to whatever side he's on, stand directly beneath him, jump, and dash at the peak to land it. The AoE for the dash stretches in an sphere around him of indeterminate size.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Lurdiak posted:

Oh, I found the retro hero skin. It even comes with retro sound effects!

That's it. Some negative reviews here and there on the DLC stress it.

Lurdiak posted:

Anyone have the boss weakness order handy? I mostly just wanna see the robots showing up to help in as many stages as I can. :frogbon:

Keep in mind that, just between taxes and kickstarter's cut, it was already more like a 3 million dollar project.

Wait, there's a boss order :V ? I just used my buster gun for 1-8, Ray, and factory. In fact it was weird being forced to use the boss weapons to navigate the factory because I had zero idea what they did.

Also if you watch the VOD for the apology stream, they say they got ~60% of the 4mil for their game, so ~$2.4mil.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Augus posted:

Are people really unironically defending this game from criticism? I know it's been like 5 years since an official Mega Man game but come on, this is worse than some fan games.

I finished the game on normal, played a little bit with Ray, and tried the tutorial level on Manic (1-hit kill). I didn't get leprosy.

Game is playble, but flawed. Fight me. :toughguy:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
All of that Freedom Planet talk led to me discovering it was in some Humble Bundle I don't recall purchasing. So I redeemed and installed it.

Playing story mode to find out how bad it is, and... well my main issue (only finished first two levels) is how painfully long the chatty parts are. GET ON WITH IT! It's super anime cliche on top of a strange Chinese Sonic clone. So it's less painful than I expected.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Zero 2, X3 100%, X2 Low%, ZX Advent any%. A few hours of dashing megamens at any rate.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Maverick Hunter X is $5 on PSN right now. I can see that it's been cheaper, but I ponied up for it anyway to play on my VitaTV.

So I played this on PSP a few/several years ago and recalled liking it a lot despite the middling reviews. On replay I found myself cursing up a storm that they moved the dash capsule and ended up just looking up where to get it. It's amazing how much moving that one upgrade killed the flow of the early game. The other oddity was having to make it through the entire Armadillo stage without getting hit once, or even suiciding to try again if you want the hadouken. Been enough years since I played X1 that I botched that one a bunch.

Overall still mostly the same fun game, though X looks sort of horrible at the PSP's native res stretched onto a TV without anti-aliasing. He's too detailed and ends up a mess. Gonna have to check this game out in PPSSPP to see if the game upscales well or looks worse.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

ImpAtom posted:

Rolling Shield literally instant-kills 90% of the enemies in that segment including the Mets.

I was using charged sting to run around, but the issue was the effect ending at bad times mostly, or without the SNES's slowdown on the last mine cart I got hit a bunch by birds (until I started to spam angled-up sting shot).

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

SeANMcBAY posted:

How bad is lag if you play 9 and 10 on PC through Dolphin?

I'm getting zero lag and a solid 59-61 FPS

Also, gently caress me... I had completely forgotten how frustrating the levels are in these games.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Trying to play Megaman 1 through Anniversary Collection>Dolphin. The 100% RNG platforms on Wily1 have spent most of the past 5 minutes hovering at the top of the screen. Last life they dipped low enough for me to ride the first one, but it moved up quickly enough that by the time I hopped I was going to be smashed into the spikes or jump into them.

Unlocking the speed limiter so it runs ~282% speed has them zig-zagging at the top two positions on my screen. This... this is why I've learned to accept PRNG.

Fake edit: gently caress IT, I'll play it tomorrow maybe. This is goddamn stupid.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Wait. This Corrupted game you guys keep mentioning is nearly 2-years silent and not out even as a beta? :(

On another fangame note: AM2R actually came out yesterday.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Looks like 20XX raised the base price up to $15.

Much as I want to try this game, raising the price on an game still in early access is one of the ways to make me never buy it. But that's just me, devs must be reaching out for funding to finish it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Fargin Icehole posted:

With SF X Tekken (Another one i really wanted to be good) being mediocre with DLC already done but locked in the CD, To the more recent SFV being an incomplete mess that you should have just waited until they released all the content, I know it's going to suck

You shut your filthy whore mouth! This one's actually coming to PC :(