Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EssEssEssErr
Jul 14, 2007

W: "What're you rebelling against, Johnny?"
M: "What've you got?"
Just got a red Lumia 920. Absolutely incredible piece of kit. Windows Phone really has come a long way with version 8---the last time I used WP was on a Samsung Focus when it was just brand new.

The camera Lenses apps in particular are really cool and functional. I never once considered the HTC 8X over the Lumia 920, purely for the exceptional Nokia apps for Lumia. The build quality is better and tighter than the 8X too, though it is by no means a bad choice.

I still think Nokia should have never hopped on the WP train, as Symbian was my favorite smartphone OS, but really they have done a fantastic job. 10/10.

EssEssEssErr fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I'm confused why Nokia went with a proprietary cable for the wireless charger plate instead of micro-USB.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

Dr Tran posted:

I'm confused why Nokia went with a proprietary cable for the wireless charger plate instead of micro-USB.
Probably something related to power output, USB connectors are only rated up to certain wattage. Depending on efficiency of wireless charging, charging phone at reasonable rate might push it over what microUSB connectors can carry.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe

corpsed posted:

Just got a red Lumia 920. Absolutely incredible piece of kit. Windows Phone really has come a long way with version 8---the last time I used WP was on a Samsung Focus when it was just brand new.

The camera Lenses apps in particular are really cool and functional. I never once considered the HTC 8X over the Lumia 920, purely for the exceptional Nokia apps for Lumia. The build quality is better and tighter than the 8X too, though it is by no means a bad choice.

I still think Nokia should have never hopped on the WP train, as Symbian was my favorite smartphone OS, but really they have done a fantastic job. 10/10.

In the UK the 920 is still ridiculous money and locked to one network, even if bought sim free. I've had umpteen bad experiences with HTC (incompetent repair centers) so I'll never buy an 8x. I was about to pull the trigger on an 820 but sadly they've (for some strange reason) left out the gorilla glass screen and that's a deal breaker for me.

I think nokia were right to move away from symbian. My last symbian phone was the Nokia E71 and it was so clunky compared to any other modern os. Functional but very clunky.

EssEssEssErr
Jul 14, 2007

W: "What're you rebelling against, Johnny?"
M: "What've you got?"
I think the 920 has gorilla glass 2.0, no?

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
Yes. The 820 doesn't though.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
So strange the 810/820 don't have it considering all the other Nokias with Gorilla Glass

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
The 820 doesn't have it. It has a 'scratch resistant display' and every time nokia is asked about how this stacks up against gorilla glass they just spout some rubbish about how the 920 has gorilla glass 2. They've got back to me and said it's just plain old glass.

The 810/822 are network specific models which DO have gorilla glass (or so early reports say). Unfortunatly they aren't available in the UK (yet) and all belong to networks which I'd like to avoid.

edit: Also, Nokia urge to push the 920 means they've been given to loads of reporters and they've been extensively scratch/drop tested. Not at ALL for the 820 though

ToG fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 20, 2012

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Jolla intro video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRZxM9rNyZ4

Demo of Sailfish OS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c_BqnR_vAM

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

I like what these guys are trying to do and admire their tenacity, but holy hell do they have a seemingly insurmountable uphill battle for mainstream adoption. Even Microsoft/Nokia are having trouble breaking through the existing iOS/Android user base.

My guess is one of two things. 1. They are content with this being a niches geek OS. 2. They are showcasing their skills for building their resume to be hired at Apple/Google.

Either way, it's exciting and fresh, but WebOS engineers will most likely lend them a secret: you may be hosed from the start.

Nice design though.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Yeah that's pretty darn slick. Thanks for the links!

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I just picked up a Lumia 920. I was wondering if it can read thumbdrives like some other phones?

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Windfall posted:

I just picked up a Lumia 920. I was wondering if it can read thumbdrives like some other phones?

Nope - if you want that feature anymore, you'd have to go with Android.

My turn for a question: if I want to buy a replacement pair of earbuds with an inline remote for skipping songs (microphone and volume control aren't important), what are my best options? I kind of can't stand the idea of owning anything Monster since they kind of have awful customer service, so I'm hoping that their Purity line isn't my only choice.

I didn't even have a chance to use mine before my cockatiels chomped through it :mad:

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby

WorldWarWonderful posted:

Or a Nokia Asha - I believe they have USB OTG too.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

My turn for a question: if I want to buy a replacement pair of earbuds with an inline remote for skipping songs (microphone and volume control aren't important), what are my best options? I kind of can't stand the idea of owning anything Monster since they kind of have awful customer service, so I'm hoping that their Purity line isn't my only choice.

I didn't even have a chance to use mine before my cockatiels chomped through it :mad:

I'm pretty sure it is just Monster is just branding. The headphones are made by Nokia via a sub company.

You might qualify for free headphones: http://www.nokiaholidayheadset.com/

I can't find the link, but the headphone jack should be compatible for everything.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Can we go back to plastic screens?

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Otik posted:

Or a Nokia Asha - I believe they have USB OTG too.

You are right and I find that SUPER WEIRD.

Dr Tran posted:

I'm pretty sure it is just Monster is just branding. The headphones are made by Nokia via a sub company.

You might qualify for free headphones: http://www.nokiaholidayheadset.com/

I can't find the link, but the headphone jack should be compatible for everything.

Sadly, I miss out on these deals (as well as the free wireless charger deals) because I'm Canadian :canada:

While any headphone will work in terms of sound, the main thing I'd be buying them for is to skip tracks, and it seems like most, if not all non-Purity headsets won't work like that.

I'm spending a few days around Christmas in Toronto; I'll probably pop by the MS store in Yorkdale and hope they have a few.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
For the DIY goons with N9s, looks like we're getting some OS support indirectly from Jolla.

http://www.facebook.com/meegoproject/posts/554546271228954

Pretty nifty. Harmattan is (still) a great OS, but here's hoping the SMS functionality in Sailfish is better, because that alone will make me jump ship.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Has Jolla actually announced any device plans yet? It seems like the N9 is the only option right now.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

You are right and I find that SUPER WEIRD.

Sadly, I miss out on these deals (as well as the free wireless charger deals) because I'm Canadian :canada:

While any headphone will work in terms of sound, the main thing I'd be buying them for is to skip tracks, and it seems like most, if not all non-Purity headsets won't work like that.

I'm spending a few days around Christmas in Toronto; I'll probably pop by the MS store in Yorkdale and hope they have a few.

Every cheap pair on amazon I've tried works assuming you have a Windows Phone since you mentioned Nokia

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I'm just going to put this in here because I don't know where else it belongs and I have a nokia.

Basically I'm getting text messages from years ago. Last week I got one from an ex girlfriend from 2007. Just now I got one from 2009 from my sister and straight after one from 2010 from a friend.

I'm positive I never received them at the time (especially the first). I don't even understand how this would work (as in it's not like a physical letter being lost and then found again)?

Any one have any ideas?

Jippa fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 11, 2012

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby

Jippa posted:

I'm just going to put this in here because I don't know where else it belongs and I have a nokia.

Basically I'm getting text messages from years ago. Last week I got one from an ex girlfriend from 2007. Just now I got one from 2009 from sister and straight after one from 2010 from a friend.

I'm positive I never received them at the time (especially the first). I don't even understand how this would work (as in it's not like a physical letter being lost and then found again)?

Any one have any ideas?

Is it the same phone? Same carrier?

You probably have phone ghosts. Find an exorcist.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Otik posted:

Is it the same phone? Same carrier?

You probably have phone ghosts. Find an exorcist.

Yeah it's orange and I've kept the same number for years now. I have no idea what networks they are on.

Very strange experience though.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Jippa posted:

Basically I'm getting text messages from years ago. Last week I got one from an ex girlfriend from 2007. Just now I got one from 2009 from my sister and straight after one from 2010 from a friend.

Any one have any ideas?

This sounds like a problem I had years ago, I'm talking 2002-2003.

The solution at the time was to go into network settings and try to manually select a service provider other than your current carrier. So in the UK, if I were on Orange, I'd change the network selection to O2 or something, then I'd get a message such as network blocked or network unavailable, something to that effect.

Restart the phone and it will automatically return to your default network, and it supposedly flushes out your SMS mailbox. It worked for me at the time but I suppose it's worth a shot, before you call your service provider and ask them what's up.

varjoankka
Jun 15, 2011
Its rumoured that Nokia will reveal an Windows tablet at MWC.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/24/3791702/nokia-windows-rt-tablet-battery-cover

Alestes
Apr 23, 2008

Stevie Lee posted:

Has Jolla actually announced any device plans yet? It seems like the N9 is the only option right now.
They did show their Sailfish OS and their first prototype device about a month ago. The whole presentation was focused on China a great deal, so I'm mostly curious if their first device will mostly just be available in China or available worldwide, who knows?

So my N9 will have to stay strong for a while longer.

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!

Alestes posted:

They did show their Sailfish OS and their first prototype device about a month ago. The whole presentation was focused on China a great deal, so I'm mostly curious if their first device will mostly just be available in China or available worldwide, who knows?

So my N9 will have to stay strong for a while longer.

Was the prototype revealed? They seem to be parading their OS around with the N950 all the time.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Any goons had any experience with the Asha 311 ?

In terms of smart phones around £100 its ether the Asha 311 or Sony Tipo from my local carrier of choice. Asha 311 is by far the best in terms of build quality (gorrila glass on a £100 phone ..) but the Tipo has ICS and is actually pretty respectable in terms of performance, but the screen plastic actually does bend a little when you press it which is rather off putting..

Randoom
Aug 1, 2006
I won the egg and spoon race!

mfny posted:

Any goons had any experience with the Asha 311 ?

In terms of smart phones around £100 its ether the Asha 311 or Sony Tipo from my local carrier of choice. Asha 311 is by far the best in terms of build quality (gorrila glass on a £100 phone ..) but the Tipo has ICS and is actually pretty respectable in terms of performance, but the screen plastic actually does bend a little when you press it which is rather off putting..

I work in the UK mobile industry. I've not used the Asha 311, but nearly all low end android devices are terrible. Every single one will slow down or have random awful bugs within six months, guaranteed. The only fix is generally a full wipe.

The Lumia 610 is only ~£120 on PAYG, is that not an option?

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

Randoom posted:

I work in the UK mobile industry. I've not used the Asha 311, but nearly all low end android devices are terrible. Every single one will slow down or have random awful bugs within six months, guaranteed. The only fix is generally a full wipe.

The Lumia 610 is only ~£120 on PAYG, is that not an option?

Lumia 610 is an option, and from the looks of it actually looks like a decant one to.

I didn't even know that Microsoft had a cut down version of WP called Tango for low end devices. I am a fan of Metro and the WP7/7.5/8 look and feel so the OS on the 610 being some flavour of WP is certainly not an issue at all.

Here is a direct link to the Nokia options I have - http://shop.surecw.com/isleofman/mobile-phones/nokia/ (linked to the Nokia page to keep on topic as it were)

mfny fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 7, 2013

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

mfny posted:

Lumia 610 is an option, and from the looks of it actually looks like a decant one to.

I didn't even know that Microsoft had a cut down version of WP called Tango for low end devices. I am a fan of Metro and the WP7/7.5/8 look and feel so the OS on the 610 being some flavour of WP is certainly not an issue at all.

Yeah the 610 and Tango support devices that have 1/2 the memory of the original WP7 spec. That means some apps will not be usable by Tango devices (like the 610). Esp. of note when the Tango devices launched Angry birds would not run on the lower memory devices.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

Stick100 posted:

Yeah the 610 and Tango support devices that have 1/2 the memory of the original WP7 spec. That means some apps will not be usable by Tango devices (like the 610). Esp. of note when the Tango devices launched Angry birds would not run on the lower memory devices.

Not really all that bothered about lack of Angry Birds.

Not knowing about the durability of the screen (vs the gorilla glass on the 311 in particular) and that reviews say the 610's screen really suffers in sunlight(again unlike the 311 which doesnt have any issue in this area im to understand) are bigger issues id say and would be the ones to make me pause for thought on the 610. Still the overall experance of the 610 looks to be better then most of the cheapo droids available to me, the best of which would be the already mentioned Tipo.

mfny fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 7, 2013

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I saw the 820, is that out of the question?

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

I picked up my Lumia 710 from CPW in the UK for under £100 Edit:unlocked; great phone, from what I read, it's way superior than the 610

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

Dr Tran posted:

I saw the 820, is that out of the question?

Was looking at the 820, but as far as I am aware the screen is not gorilla glass or any off brand derivative, its just "normal" glass/plastic. Which is really off putting at a phone of that price.

djssniper posted:

I picked up my Lumia 710 from CPW in the UK for under £100 Edit:unlocked; great phone, from what I read, it's way superior than the 610

CPW is UK mainland only, I am not on mainland. The 710 is £150ish on Amazon Marketplace, £200+ from Amazon themselves. I am very wary of SIM free on there due to reading some reviews of various SIM free Nokias from non Amazon sellers ending up being non UK/EU phones and therefore no warranty.

LuchoVzla
Jan 4, 2013
Hey there Nokiagoons,

Is the Lumia 900 still worth it? They're going for $299 at Amazon and I want to upgrade my phone (Android, SE Xperia mini pro) for something with a bigger screen. I'm in Venezuela (Latin America) so 4G/LTE isn't a thing here. Will WP8 make this phone useless within a year or less?

Thanks.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
I have just remembered the Pureview 808 exists and that when it was announced I was really curious about it. I could not get it on contract so would have to pay full price however. Would it be a sane thing to add it to my list on the(very)high end if I could stretch to it I wonder .. and I could, just barely.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

mfny posted:

I have just remembered the Pureview 808 exists and that when it was announced I was really curious about it. I could not get it on contract so would have to pay full price however. Would it be a sane thing to add it to my list on the(very)high end if I could stretch to it I wonder .. and I could, just barely.

If you're crazy enough to want to own one, get the best phone available on contract (probably an iPhone), then sell it on craigslist.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

Dr Tran posted:

If you're crazy enough to want to own one, get the best phone available on contract (probably an iPhone), then sell it on craigslist.

Trying to turn a profit on reselling an iPhone via contract here would be difficult(I cant afford a contract term/monthly payment that would make it work) so probably not worth the hassle. If I was going get the 808 id just buy one sim free outright assuming I could find a seller selling genuine UK stock with full warranty.. probably Amazon. The Pureview 808 has long been a curiosity to me, its just such a strange thing. The kind of device that really should not exist but does.

Probably will stick to my far more sensible options already mentioned so far unless I have a "moment" though but figured id mention it as it popped into my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Went for the sensible option. Picked up a Lumia 610 on 12mo contract today.

• Locked thread