Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

nerdrum posted:

a buddy of mine is willing to sell me his n97 for $150 bucks, I just upgraded to a 9700 Bold and I'm on t-mobile... the n97 is more or less the best looking piece of hardware ever felt which everyone seems to agree with, it just seems to be everything else about it thats a pile of poo poo. Anyone care to give me a bit of advice regarding if this is a good or bad idea?
Unless you're used to S60, you're going to start using it and realize how clunky and behind the times it is as a touchscreen smartphone OS. I used an N97 for a while and it was not even close to being a phone I wanted to use for an extended period of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

LiquidRain posted:

They've stated Symbian will be relegated to the lower-end market while MeeGo will run on all N-series devices in the future.

Nokia could find themselves in a very enviable position. Symbian is definitely a smartphone OS - it just needs... well, the spit and polish that it hasn't gotten over the last decade. And it can run on what is now featurephone hardware, and run well. The same cannot be said for Android, MeeGo, or iOS.
I don't see how running on featurephone hardware helps Symbian, at least here in the States. An S60 device, no matter how cheap on-contract, will cost the same per month as any other smartphone. I could go get a refurb Captivate on AT&T for $80 cheaper than a Vivaz.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

200th Poster posted:

Because Symbian makes a bitchin' feature phone os, if only a lackluster smartphone os. Let MeeGo compete with iPhone, droid, HTC et al. I can't speak for the states, but in canada s60 devices only need the $10 feature phone data plan for everything to work as opposed to the much more expensive smartphone data plans.
I was specifically talking about the States. No carrier here is going to consider a Symbian device a featurephone, no matter how poo poo it is. I suppose I was just naive in thinking that outside of Europe that would be the case for most carriers, but I guess not!

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

big mean giraffe posted:

I went from a Blackberry Curve to touch-only Android land and wouldn't look back. Took maybe a week to get back to the same speed.
I'm of the belief that anyone who says they require a QWERTY keyboard on a phone simply hasn't used a halfway decent Android or iPhone handset. If you simply give yourself time to adjust, you will be typing faster in a week or two.
I'm sure the prospect or practice of using S60v5 would scare most users from ever really adopting a touch-only OS, but it makes way more sense when you realize every modern smartphone OS has, y'know, been designed for use with touch, instead of being a poorly-implemented, shoehorned addition.

• Locked thread